Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: T100 widi/miracast support & troubleshooting MEGA thread...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    We seem to be arguing while more or less agreeing on most points.

In my experience the Z3740 will sustain its base clock in most tasks, and bear in mind SDP (the power rating given for the Z3740) and TDP (the power rating given for the N3520) are not the same thing. I know from my own testing that CPU performance on the N3520 is not double that of the Z3740. Even if it was then the test I linked would still give it a 2x performance advantage...

The reason I was bringing up Quicksync in all of this is for the task in discussion (Miracast under Windows 8.1) it IS used, and provides a great benefit in doing so. I'd wager when you start trying things like 1080p output to a Miracast device on a Pentium N2520 you're going to get a lot of dropped frames, its not a processor that can real-time encode 1080p h264 compression at 30fps. The first generation of WiDi had to resort to limiting you to 720p and MPEG2 to run acceptably on the original non-Quicksync equipped Arrandale Core i3/i5/i7 - 1080p and h264 support only came with the Sandy Bridge generation chips.

For other tasks where it is not used then yes the Pentium will obviously give higher performance, at the expense of lower battery life, extra heat, potentially active cooling, etc.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    You do have a point about Miracast, it'll be the main thing that likely won't work with these Bay Trail M and D models... Despite them getting it to work with similar performance range devices like the Tegra 4 based Surface 2 that also don't have Quicksync but still employ hardware accelerated encoding... and that's very relevant to this topic...

Though, every other aspect of the HD GMA should still work fine for things like actually watching h.264 1080P video... it's just the Quicksync specific applications that would be crippled... but this is what they do with all the core based Celeron/Pentium models as well.

It's unfortunate but Intel distinguishes the budget Celerons/Pentiums from the regular Core models by simply lowering specs and crippling features and the moment they decided to put the Bay Trail M and D models under the same Celeron and Pentium branding meant they put them under the same restrictions... Probably to minimize the potential of Bay Trail versions out selling the usually higher priced core based models.

It doesn't help that Miracast is still not that mainstream and that means it's still not a high priority for Intel, not enough anyway to offer exceptions aside from specific device markets like tablets... and they still want to sell the full Core series models with the much higher profit margins...

Hopefully they won't do that with Cherry Trail, Broadwells delay release hopefully helping with that choice, but at least the Cherry Trail T series should be a straight upgrade...

Anyway, while it's good to be clear that TDP and SDP are not the same thing, it's also mostly true that Bay Trail T devices operate primarily at their SDP rating and never really push their TDP rating... Which is probably why Intel doesn't bother giving a TDP rating for the Z37xx models.

Much like ARM SoCs, Bay Trail T models operate within a power threshold limit that ensures the devices don't exceed the thermal and run time ranges needed to be optimized for mobile usage... The Samsung Exynos 5 SoCs for example are really 8W TDP but operate around 4W at all times, not counting when they allow the SoC to be unlocked for benchmarking purposes, because of this limitation... leaving the SoC with a fairly strict power budget limit.

The N3520 may not offer double the performance but it's still definitely a noticeable performance difference with over double the SDP and a high enough TDP to require active cooling but still offer pretty good battery life. So, aside from Miracast, it may not be such a bad trade off but definitely warrants the consideration of just jumping to a higher end Core based product to avoid the crippling... especially, considering that the Bay Trail M and D models also give up much of the price advantage that Bay Trail T has as well...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been trying to connect to a PTV2000 which I know works as I currently use it with my old laptop.

As I go into Add a wireless display and do a search it does not find it.

Has anyone had this issue/resolved it? I have seen other people mention it works fine with their PTV2000

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb84 View Post
    I have been trying to connect to a PTV2000 which I know works as I currently use it with my old laptop.

Has anyone had this issue/resolved it? I have seen other people mention it works fine with their PTV2000
    As previously noted you need an adapter with Miracast support, initially the PTV2000 and 3000 only shipped with Intel WiDi support.

I don't know if later PTV2000 firmware adds Miracast support, they added it in to the PTV3000 in an update.
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    The Netgear PVT3000 Miracast / WiDi device is on sale for $39 in Amazon's "Deal of the Day" As the name suggests, the price is today only.

Amazon.com : NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX : Streaming Media Clients : Electronics

It seems to be the cheapest, tested-working Miracast device for the T100.

According to price tracking site CamelCamelCamle.com, this is the cheapest it's been. It typically hovers around $60, the same as the other quality Miracast devices.

NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com
    Last edited by Banise; 01-08-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    The cheapest for PTV3000 was $29.99 from MS Store. That's when I got it.
    Excellent device after the firmware upgrade
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb84 View Post

T100 does not support Widi, Miracast only.
    PTV2000 does not support Miracast, Widi only.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Coon View Post
    T100 does not support Widi, Miracast only.
    PTV2000 does not support Miracast, Widi only.
    ..delete...gotta re-learn the whole reading concept
    Last edited by kerkesmith; 01-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kerkesmith View Post
    not disputing your post with any real substance..but When I went to update the firmware I noticed a checkbox within the ptv3000 that allows it to 'recognize previous generations of widi', if I remember correctly. Not sure if that'll fix the problem, but it's worth a try I'd say..
    PTV3000 supports both (with later firmware), PTV2000 only supports WiDi.
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 videos
    T100 Gameplay and Performance Videos

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    PTV3000 supports both (with later firmware), PTV2000 only supports WiDi.
    #readfail extremefacepalm.jpg

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links