Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: T100 widi/miracast support & troubleshooting MEGA thread...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post

<snip>

Asus does have it's own Miracast receiver and it's usually recommended to use same brands for better chance of compatibility/reliability...
    From what I can tell the Asus miracast dongle isn't being sold in the US yet. And from what I read the price will be $110 US. That's more than 3 times the price of a Chromecast and double the price of a Netgear PTV3000. Way too expensive for what it is.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    From what I can tell the Asus miracast dongle isn't being sold in the US yet. And from what I read the price will be $110 US. That's more than 3 times the price of a Chromecast and double the price of a Netgear PTV3000. Way too expensive for what it is.
    Uh, nope, for one thing the only thing close to "$110" is the converted €79 for Europe pricing... They are apparently not yet selling it in the US yet, despite already having a US product page for it, but US doesn't pay things like VAT that always effects pricing in Europe. So, unless you order it from Europe and have it shipped to the US then you won't be paying that much for it... Since they got the product page already up, it shouldn't be too much longer before they start selling it though...

Second, the Netgear PTV3000 is actually listed for over $80, which is around what the Asus Miracast dongle should cost once it starts selling in the US... The Netgear product just sells for discounted pricing in many places but such places will likely sell the Asus Miracast dongle for a discounted price after awhile as well... But you can't compare Miracast to Chromecast, they're not the same technology!

Besides, Google may often sell things for less than others but they do so at the price of locking you into their ecosystem and making money off you in other ways through ads and other indirect ways. So the pricing difference is deceptive with them... It's fine if you buy into their ecosystem and don't need flexibility or to use anything not compatible but isn't for everyone...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    The Tronsmart T1000 looks interesting at $30.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    The Tronsmart T1000 looks interesting at $30.
    It's one of the reasons I said you mostly get what you pay for in terms of ease of use and reliability...

Tronsmart T1000: Wireless display adapter for Android, iOS, Windows, OS X (updated) - Liliputing

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    It's one of the reasons I said you mostly get what you pay for in terms of ease of use and reliability...

Tronsmart T1000: Wireless display adapter for Android, iOS, Windows, OS X (updated) - Liliputing
    I saw that review, that's why I said it looks interesting. Once the author figured out how to set up the mirror mode, he was able to mirror using both an android device and dell venue 8 win8 device. The only trick was the dell didn't see the T1000 as an external display the first couple times. But once it found it and connected, it sounded like it worked pretty well.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    But once it found it and connected, it sounded like it worked pretty well.
    Worked but as he stated setting it up each time was not automatically reliable and use of 3rd party utility isn't seemless as Miracast is natively supported and shouldn't need a app to use... Besides, most people don't have the patients to get a feature working if it requires multiple tries and varying methods of trying to get to work... It'll be especially annoying for those devices that don't offer the USB 3.0 port and/or HDMI port and streaming is the only option to output video...

But, if you don't mind the hassle, then sure... get the cheaper solution, it does work but just not as well as a lot of people would prefer...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Has anyone tried using WiDi with T100 and Netgear NeoTV Pro (NTV300S)? Fry's has it on sale for 29.99. Supposedly it has supports WiDi. Not sure if it will work with Win8.1 though.

Edit...looks like NTV300S hasn't been updated to work with 8.1. Perhaps the reason they are dumping them so cheap.
    Last edited by markymark; 12-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    FINALLY got round to putting together a video with my T100 and an Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro which supports Intel WiDi and Miracast.

Works really nicely, far better than my experiences with Intel WiDi on some rather expensive Ultrabooks in fact which often failed to connect, had stuttering in videos and would frequently disconnect. Not only does it work well for web browsing and video playback, but I even managed to get some games running through it, although 3D titles do lose a bit of performance as Quicksync will be eating up some of the available power budget.

A few things to note that are not mentioned in the video:
    Screen resolution when cloning is dropped to 1366x768 on the T100 tablet, down from 1368x768. This makes the the tablet display look slightly fuzzy.
    Refresh rate drops to 30Hz on both displays to match input of the Miracast receiver, making the Windows UI feel a bit less slick.
    After using Miracast I had to reinstall the Intel HD Graphics driver to get the HDMI output to work again.
    Last edited by Thorburn; 01-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    Banise likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    FINALLY got round to putting together a video with my T100 and an Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro which supports Intel WiDi and Miracast.

After using Miracast I had to reinstall the Intel HD Graphics driver to get the HDMI output to work again.
    Nice post. It's compelling, if still a bit expensive. These seem to run in the $60 range.

I'd be tempted if not for your final comment. Having to reinstall the graphics drivers in order to make the HDMI output work suggests that WiDi is still quite the beta product. When they get the bugs worked out and the prices down a bit, I'll get one.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    I'd be tempted if not for your final comment. Having to reinstall the graphics drivers in order to make the HDMI output work suggests that WiDi is still quite the beta product. When they get the bugs worked out and the prices down a bit, I'll get one.
    Its worth noting that this isn't Intel WiDi, that no longer exists in Windows 8.1 AFAIK. I worked at Intel until recently and doing WiDi demos was the bane of my life.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links