Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: T100 widi/miracast support & troubleshooting MEGA thread...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    The WIDI system creates an adhoc wifi connection directly between the sending device (the T100) and the receiving device (your samsung TV et al). The wireless router has nothing to do with that connection. The router only comes into the equation for providing the image to your T100 screen which is WIDI sent to your TV WIDI receiver which mirrors what's on the T100 screen onto the TV screen.

Using the Netgear PTV3000 WIDI receiver and Win 10 on my T100, I'm able to WIDI the T100 image via the PTV3000 onto my TV screen.

I'm guessing your Samsung TV WIDI receiver (firmware) is causing the broken link.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 11-06-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    No luck. I rebooted the router, downloaded and ran the Intel Widi Update tool and got exactly the same result: "That didn't work" several minutes after entering the PIN code on the TV.

The router is a 6-month old Sky Broadband router.
    What security software are you running? Disable that and see. I looked into the blocks and found the correct ports to allow.

itm
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    What security software are you running? Disable that and see. I looked into the blocks and found the correct ports to allow.
    Actually I wasn't running any (!). I tried disabling the Windows Firewall but that didn't help either.

Am now installing AVG anti-virus!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Well, Windows Defender is OK so you don't have to install AVG. Are you sure the Samsung has Miracast? I saw this:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/mir...s7000.1723719/

The Samsung isn't picking up a Bluetooth pairing signal is it?

itm
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Well, Windows Defender is OK so you don't have to install AVG. Are you sure the Samsung has Miracast? I saw this:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/mir...s7000.1723719/

The Samsung isn't picking up a Bluetooth pairing signal is it?
    The settings menu on the TV calls it "Wifi Direct", rather than Miracast, so I was hoping it would be compatible with the WiDi drivers on the Windows 8 machine. There is definitely basic wifi connectivity with the T100 as I get prompted to enter a PIN code on the TV (and the TV doesn't have a bluetooth radio)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Wifi direct will either "just work" or be a regular pain...

You don't need your router on at all. Essentially, as I understand it, the Samsung will broadcast a wifi signal to which your T100 connects and you can then display on the TV

This from wi-fi.org

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct® is a certification mark for devices supporting a technology that enables Wi-Fi devices to connect directly, making it simple and convenient to do things like print, share, sync and display. Products bearing the Wi-Fi Direct certification mark can connect to one another without joining a traditional home, office or hotspot network.

Mobile phones, cameras, printers, PCs, and gaming devices connect to each other directly to transfer content and share applications quickly and easily. Devices can make a one-to-one connection, or a group of several devices can connect simultaneously. Connecting Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices is easy and simple, with the push of a button, tapping two NFC-capable devices together, or entering a PIN. Moreover, all Wi-Fi Direct connections are protected by WPA2™, the latest Wi-Fi security technology. With Wi-Fi Direct, you do not need an access point or internet connection – your personal Wi-Fi network goes with you wherever you go.

A set of optional pre-defined services let devices send files, print documents, play media and display screens between and among devices easily, no matter the vendor. The standard enhanced services let users “discover, connect and do” in a single step to perform these common tasks. The new service platform also fosters innovative development opportunities for new applications to take advantage of direct device-to-device connections.

Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices can be used for all kinds of applications - to share content, synch data, socialize, play games, play audio and video, and more - all the things you do with your Wi-Fi devices today, only easier and without worrying about finding an internet connection. Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices can form connections with nearly all the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ devices you already have. You only need one Wi-Fi Direct device to form a group. Now, Wi-Fi isn't just about accessing the internet - but about connecting all the Wi-Fi devices you and your friends have - anytime, anywhere - to enable your connected life.
    So, try turning your router off and connecting via wifi directly to the TV. The clue is in the name "wifi direct"

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    "WiFi Direct" is not the same as WiDi (aka Miracast).

I'm having a hard time finding the specs in English on your Samsung ue55es7000. Will your TV support the Miracast or WiDi standard?

If this is a critical function, you could get a WiDi (Miracast) receiver to plug into you TV. Read back through this thread for support and recommendations but I've had success with the Netgear PTV3000. The PTV3000 also works with Android 4.2+ devices.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 11-07-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

itm
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    "WiFi Direct" is not the same as WiDi (aka Miracast).

I'm having a hard time finding the specs in English on your Samsung ue55es7000. Will your TV support the Miracast or WiDi standard?

If this is a critical function, you could get a WiDi (Miracast) receiver to plug into you TV. There is a thread here with recommendations but I've had success with the Netgear PTV3000. The PTV3000 also works with Android 4.2+ devices.
    Wifi Direct is one of the menu options on the Samsung TV, and it shows the T100 on its list of devices. Likewise the T100 shows the Samsung TV on its list when I try to add an additional display. So it seems both devices support "wifi direct", they can see each other, but I can't project the T100 display onto the Samsung TV. It sounds like a case of different manufacturers being compliant with the wifi direct "standard" in ways which are not compatible with each other.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    As Rick said, Wifi Direct is not a screen mirroring protocol. I believe it is like DLNA, e.g. you can see a shared/public file from the T100 on the TV like a .jpg or video. You will have to buy an widi/miracast adapter if you want to mirror or cast the T100's screen. WiDi stands for Wireless Display not Wifi Direct.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 11-06-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    WiFi Direct does allow screen sharing (not sure about mirroring). However, it would appear that certain parts of the standard are optional.

"A set of optional pre-defined services let devices send files, print documents, play media and display screens between and among devices easily, no matter the vendor."

I use WiFi direct to print directly to a HP 1102w printer, so I know it works.

I still think that forgetting everything that has gone before on the T100 & Samsung would help, together with a full power cycle. Also power off your router. Then start with the Samsung & ensure WiFi Direct is turned on.

Turn on your T100 and look for wifi APs - the Samsung should be displayed. Connect to it and then try to send or share images.

WiDi isn't an open standard at all - it is a proprietory standard owned and developed by Intel. Clearly it works, but WiFi Direct is what manufacturers should be adopting - fully and compliantly - or there is not much point.

The problem is still one of OEMs wanting their standard to be the one you use so that you only buy their devices. Whether you are Apple with Airplay, Samsung with their mirroring options, Amazon with theirs, Google with theirs etc etc etc

Meanwhile, we the customers, just suffer!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links