Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: T100 widi/miracast support & troubleshooting MEGA thread...

rscheller
    Thanks Rednroll... every time someone posts some objective data info about this wireless streaming system, we all learn a bit more. It's hard to believe that routing the sound channels through BT would make the video stream more stable but you can't argue with success.

I have times when my streaming video+audio connection from my T100 to my PTV3000 to my Sony via HDMI is solid as a rock whereas other times, I have annoying stutters and the very, very rare disconnect. I've always assumed since it's solid the majority of the time, it's not the wireless (Widi, Miracast, whatever...) connection from the T100 to the PTV3000 but rather something with bandwidth load from my wifi router/internet connection.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    I have times when my streaming video+audio connection from my T100 to my PTV3000 to my Sony via HDMI is solid as a rock whereas other times, I have annoying stutters and the very, very rare disconnect. I've always assumed since it's solid the majority of the time, it's not the wireless (Widi, Miracast, whatever...) connection from the T100 to the PTV3000 but rather something with bandwidth load from my wifi router/internet connection.
    My thoughts exactly, is that it is most likely Wifi bandwidth sharing related issue depending on how much data you're trying to stream from the web. When I first tested out the PTV3000, I connected it to a TV where my router is located just on top of the TV and the PTV3000 was located in the same vicinity. I was literally sitting 10ft. away from my TV with the T100 in hand, which means the router and PTV3000 were also 10ft away, where I was streaming 720p and 1080p music videos from the web and sending both the sound and video to the PTV3000 via the miracast link. I was getting really minor drop-outs in sound and video kind of like a CD skipping but happening about every 15 seconds which made it really annoying to even try to enjoy watching the music videos. When I then streamed a 480p video from the web, it was pretty solid, no drop-outs. I then played back a 1080p video located on my 64GB microSD card and everything worked fine, thus no longer using Wifi bandwidth streaming from the web via my router. So it does seem Wifi bandwidth related since in that scenario, I was no longer streaming from the web which obviously shares the overall bandwidth when casting to the PTV3000. I then disconnected from projecting to the PTV3000 and streamed the same 720p and 1080p music videos from the web and no drop-out glitches when just viewing it on the T100 screen.

So then I decided to connect the T100 to a bluetooth audio receiver with the same setup and verified the sound was no longer being received by my TV which had the PTV3000 connected to it and I was listening to the sound come from the BT receiver. In that instance, those same 720p and 1080p music videos streamed from the web, played back smooth as butter without any drop-outs.

I was also pretty amazed it had that big of an impact since the highest resolution audio stream that bluetooth supports is a bitrate of 345kbs stereo. I'm not sure what bitrate miracast supports, but obviously reducing the bandwidth being streamed to the PTV3000 by not casting the audio with the video was enough to make things work perfectly. Now, I feel like I need to upgrade all my AVR surround receivers to receivers that have bluetooth audio support, just to make sure I don't run into these Wifi bandwidth issues when projecting wirelessly with the T100.

Technology....the more you have of it...the more you end up having to purchase to make it all work properly.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.

rscheller
    Technology....the more you have of it...the more you end up having to purchase to make it all work properly.
    Exactly... It's amazing the active wifi devices I have in/around my house at any given time when we're all home. I have several wifi connected cell phones, an iPad, my T100, 2x Rokus, a Dell laptop and a wifi printer and at any given time, they may all be vying randomly for the precious bandwidth available from my 6 year old Cisco AP/router. And for the internet, that's being chocked on its input at a max download rate by my cable internet provider of I believe 25Mb/sec. It's amazing really that all this stuff works reliably 99.9% of the time.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    42 times
    What I want to do is connect the tablet to the Network via WiFi which gives me internet access (this currently works), and Project the tablet screen to the WDTV Live via Miracast then onto the TV via HDMI so whatever I see on the tablet screen appears on the TV as detailed on the MS site for Miracast

Swipe in the Charms, Devices, Project - the Project screen doesn't show the option "Add wireless display", it only shows the 4 options PC Screen Only / Duplicate / Extend / Second Screen Only

- why cannot I get the option ? - all T100 Win8.1.1 Updates OK, T100 Wireless is On
    - am I missing something in 8.1.1 to enable the missing Option ?
    Last edited by exitguy; 08-19-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    42 times
    So has anybody got Miracast (not Intel WiDi) working on a T100 - please post device & SW & SW version - be good to get a list

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exitguy View Post
    So has anybody got Miracast (not Intel WiDi) working on a T100 - please post device & SW & SW version - be good to get a list
    Probably, the reason you haven't gotten an answer to this is because there's a lot of confusion about whether the T100 is using Miracast, or Widi.

I found this article and it does a pretty good job in explaining why that is and clears up a lot of the confusion I was originally having in understanding this technology:
    Wireless Display Standards Explained: AirPlay, Miracast, WiDi, Chromecast, and DLNA

Here's a couple of important sections from that linked article in the Miracast section:
    Miracast is an industry-wide standard that’s essentially a response to Apple’s AirPlay. Miracast support is build into Android 4.2+ and Windows 8.1, allowing Android smartphones, Windows tablets and laptops, and other devices to wirelessly stream to Miracast-compliant receivers.
    Another problem is that the standard doesn’t mandate devices be branded with the “Miracast” brand. Manufacturers have taken to calling their Miracast implementations other things. For example, LG calls their Miracast support “SmartShare,” Samsung calls it “AllShare Cast,” Sony calls it “screen mirroring, ” and Panasonic calls it “display mirroring.” You might pick up a new Samsung TV, see the “AllShare Cast” logo on the box, and not be aware that this is theoretically a Miracast-compatible TV.
    So, as I stated earlier in this thread, I have been successful with my T100 in being able to project wirelessly to my Samsung Smart TV. What I didn't know until after reading that article linked above is that I was using "Miracast" to do it, because Samsung re-brands Miracast as "Allshare" and the T100 with Windows 8.1 doesn't brand the technology at all and just uses a generic term for Miracast which is built into Win8.1 of "Connect wireless display".

So the answer to your question is "Yes", many of us have successfully used Miracast with our T100. Now when you are asking for software, and software versions it sounds like you have some confusion here. It's built into windows 8.1 as a windows feature function. Your question is kind of like, asking "What software version are you using for your Wifi internet connection?"

What it sounds like you need to get figured out is why you're not finding the project to wireless display option on your T100. It shows up on mine. By what you're describing, it sounds like you're seeing the "Project to a connected screen" when you see the options you're seeing. It might help if you would tell us what the title is on the top of those options you're seeing to be sure.

Here's how it is typically accessed on the T100 and Win8.1.
    1. Right swipe screen to show the Charms menu.
    2. Select "Devices"
    3. Select "Project"
    4. Click on the text "Add a wireless display"

Like such:

Now for the T100 to be able find your WDTV as an available wireless display, the WDTV needs to broadcast itself as being an available wireless display, so the T100 can find it.

On my PTV3000, when you 1st turn it on, it will broadcast itself as an available wireless display. For my Samsung TV, I have to go into the Allshare menu setting and select to have it broadcast itself as a wireless display. You may have to figure out how the WDTV does this.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 08-20-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    What it sounds like you need to get figured out is why you're not finding the project to wireless display option on your T100. It shows up on mine.
    Here's how it is typically accessed.
    1. Right swipe screen to show the Charms menu.
    2. Select "Devices"
    3. Select "Project"
    4. Click on the text "Add a wireless display"
    First, Have no idea why the "Add a Wireless Display" option does not appear under the Project selection for me as I want to be able to mirror the T100 screen on the TV via the WDTV Live

Second, if I have both the T100 & WDTV Live set to have WiFi On they can connect together,
    Charms -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> PC and Devices -> Devices -> Add a Device - finds WDTV Live which asks for a Pair Code on its screen, I enter that into the logon screen that appears on the T100 and the WDTV Live then after a few seconds shows a screen Wireless Connection Successful - OK

Third, if after successfully connecting the two together as above I then access the internet via WiFi on the T100 and I Charms -> Devices -> Project there are only the options as shown below. However, if the page in IE has a video and I Charms -> Devices -> Play - shows options of PC Screen and WDTV Live, which if I select that then it shows a message underneath "Connecting", sometimes it connects and I get the video on the TV via the WDTV Live, sometime it says Can't Connect. Even if I get a connection it is very "flakey" and drops out at random intervals, could be within 5-10 seconds or in 5 minutes. Wireless is 5 bars and InSSIDer shows between 98-100 so the signal is good strength, AP -> Tablet -> WDTV Live is no more than 10-12 feet all in sight of each other

WDTV Auto Detect Wi-Fi Direct Setup = On / Wireless Display (Miracast) = On / Device Pairing in Push Button Mode = Auto Accept
    Last edited by exitguy; 08-20-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Now if you're 100% certain you're following those steps correctly, then you might want to go into Windows Control Panel's Device manager and make sure there isn't anything showing up as being disabled because like with most any others built in Windows functions, if it's not working as expected, it's usually tied to a device or driver not being properly installed and that usually shows up in Device Manager.

Unfortunately, at this time I don't know what particular device/driver that needs to be working in device manager for Miracast to be able to inspect a specific device.

Control Panel>Device Manager.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Even if I get a connection it is very "flakey" and drops out at random intervals, could be within 5-10 seconds or in 5 minutes. Wireless is 5 bars and InSSIDer shows between 98-100 so the signal is good strength, AP -> Tablet -> WDTV Live is no more than 10-12 feet all in sight of each other

WDTV – Auto Detect Wi-Fi Direct Setup = On / Wireless Display (Miracast) = On / Device Pairing in Push Button Mode = Auto Accept
    And you're surprised by this? From the article I linked earlier in regards to "Miracast" tested device compatibility:

This is a table from the latest issue of the highly regarded German IT magazine c't. The devices listed were actually tested against each other.

Red means that the devices were not compatible.

Yellow means that a connection was only possible after turning off wifi on the phone, meaning that Internet streaming was only possible through the cellular network.

Green signals successful compatibility.
    There's lots of Red and Yellow in that chart. It sounds like the combination you're running of the T100 with WDTV might be in the Yellow categorization, where Miracast and an internet Wifi connection don't seem to work in that use case.

Also notice from that chart, the PTV3000 seems to do better than most receivers in compatibility. Thus, a good reason others on this forum have posted good results when using the T100 with the Netgear PTV3000.

Personally, I would return the WDTV or wait for Western Digital to post a firmware update and "hope" that fixes the problems you're having between the T100 and WDTV.

The Netgear PTV3000 didn't always work good either...there's been quite a few firmware updates on that device.

Welcome to trying to use cutting edge technology without set standards between devices. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by Rednroll; 08-20-2014 at 06:43 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    First, Have no idea why the "Add a Wireless Display" option does not appear under the Project selection for me as I want to be able to mirror the T100 screen on the TV via the WDTV Live

Second, if I have both the T100 & WDTV Live set to have WiFi On they can connect together,
    Charms -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> PC and Devices -> Devices -> Add a Device - finds WDTV Live which asks for a Pair Code on its screen, I enter that into the logon screen that appears on the T100 and the WDTV Live then after a few seconds shows a screen Wireless Connection Successful - OK

Third, if after successfully connecting the two together as above I then access the internet via WiFi on the T100 and I Charms -> Devices -> Project there are only the options as shown below. However, if the page in IE has a video and I Charms -> Devices -> Play - shows options of PC Screen and WDTV Live, which if I select that then it shows a message underneath "Connecting", sometimes it connects and I get the video on the TV via the WDTV Live, sometime it says Can't Connect. Even if I get a connection it is very "flakey" and drops out at random intervals, could be within 5-10 seconds or in 5 minutes. Wireless is 5 bars and InSSIDer shows between 98-100 so the signal is good strength, AP -> Tablet -> WDTV Live is no more than 10-12 feet all in sight of each other

WDTV – Auto Detect Wi-Fi Direct Setup = On / Wireless Display (Miracast) = On / Device Pairing in Push Button Mode = Auto Accept
    As a highly successful PTV3000 user, I agree with Rednroll, that if what you've said here is exactly what you're getting, I'd say you have an issue with your WDTV firmware. You need to contact WD to find the solution or return it if you can and try a different device.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links