Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

AsusT100 - Windows 8.1 - Black Screen

I just got this tablet yesterday and started using it. It seemed great! I closed the lid, seeing the screen turn off, so I assumed it would go into sleep mode. I then went to turn it on this morning and now all I see is a black screen. I did get an error once. I don't remember the exact error message, but it popped up in a traditional square Windows window and had something to do with not being able to load a UI.

Now I have a dead tablet that cannot do anything on day 2. I have it plugged in and charging, just in case it didn't go into sleep mode and needs a certain amount of battery to start up. It's been charging for 30 minutes (wall outlet) and hasn't fixed the problem. The power button has an orange light next to it when it's plugged in, but not when I unplug it if that helps any.

Please help!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    4 times
    Not sure about the T100 but from memory, it was recommended that my TF300 should be charged for about 8 hours. The orange lamp turned to green when charged.

The switch on my TF300 can be a bit tricky if not pressed firmly enough. Caught me out the first time. :-)

HTH,

rog

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Not seeing my last reply, so I'm re-posting in case this helps anyone. I had to do a hard reboot with power button + back button (the one below the volume button). I was in some really messed up explorer-less GUI that would allow me to press Windows Key + P to show me which display was being used, but not much else. I tried Windows Key + R to see if I could bring up Run and could not.

When I rebooted an error message came up and it restarted again and now all seems well. FYI, it is on very low battery upon reboot so I don't think it went into sleep mode properly or sleep mode takes up a lot of battery. I've now just created a shutdown button and pinned it to my taskbar: Create Shutdown, Restart, Log Off, Suspend Shortcuts on Windows Desktop. | WinVistaClub.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    In Windows 8.1, just right click the start button to access the shutdown/reboot options!

Alt+F4 from the desktop, and nothing else selected, also brings up a quick way to access those options...

Btw, new system with new hardware and even a new OS with 8.1 could still have some driver and FW issues... So may need updates before it's bug free but that could take a month or so...
    Last edited by zeo; 10-22-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I got the same problem and I'm shortly before turning it back. But maybe someone can help me... hopefully. I'm glad to hold it in my hands and don't want to turn it back :-(

So I got mine today and turned it on while it was charging. Windows Setup screen appeared and I was just inserting my WLAN connection data as the display began to flicker and seconds later went black. I thought it had to with the charging time and waited for the device 'til it was full-charged. But nope, same problem.
    When I start the device I even don't see the ASUS logo. The screen turns brighter so I know that the device turned on, but I see nothing on the screen.

I tested many solutions suggested in forums. I long pressed the power button, volume down and power together, Back button (as suggested here) and Power button ... nothing changed. Is there a way to hard reset the T100?

Any idea what I can do? It's sad because I like everything at this device. It's beautiful and handy and I don't want to send it back and wait 3-4 weeks :-(
    Thank you in advance.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznej View Post
    The screen turns brighter so I know that the device turned on, but I see nothing on the screen.
    Brighter as in lit black screen or as in the screen turning white? If the later then it's likely a hardware issue, probably a loose screen connector... If the former then it may not be booting.

If you have a monitor or tv you can use, I'd also try connecting the micro HDMI to make sure there's really nothing going on and not just a LCD problem...

To make sure you're pressing the right button combination, check out the docx file you can download from this link...

Hardware buttons for Windows 8 tablet and convertible devices

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Brighter as in lit black screen or as in the screen turning white? If the later then it's likely a hardware issue, probably a loose screen connector... If the former then it may not be booting.
    Thank you.
    Sorry I'm not a native English speaker but if I understand you correctly it's the former.
    The screen lits up with a black screen at boot up and after a minute or two it gets a little darker, similar to the hibernate effect in Windows.

I will definitely buy a hdmi adapter today and will report.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought a 32gb version and last night got the Black Screen of Death after an update, I think it was the ASUS update. John Lewis have offered to replace it but I am waiting on a reply from ASUS as it sounds like a software issue. I'd tried recovery but it can't find the recover drive even if I choose to install a driver from the same recovery screen I can see a COS) drive, D: (recovery) drive and an X: (Boot) drive.

If anybody as a recovery image that I can use I would be grateful, but hopefully ASUS will send one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same issue, I think it was an ASUS update, but it did some Windows updates at/around the same time, so I can't be sure.

It isn't clear to me how you recover a crashed Windows tablet, is there some button sequence to get to a BIOS type recovery screen?

Anyway, after lots of restarts and messages about problems I eventually got in far enough to get at the Recovery options and told it to do a full re-install. It took 30-40 minutes but then was back to factory settings. It has since run the ASUS update again and hasn't crashed.

My T100 is also from John Lewis <g>

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links