Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Successor to Transformer T100HA?

Hi All,

Since 2014 I've had a T100TA and I've loved this guy. Despite a work-supplied high-end 14" i7 laptop, the vast majority of my work (and play) has been on the T100TA because it's so portable - it's always been there when I need to work (cafes, airplanes, park benches, etc). Although the T100 is still going strong (and - although a struggle - I've successfully kept it upgraded with the latest Windows version), I can sense a time in the coming year or so when I will need to replace it. I'm now in the process of looking at the latest generation equivalents, and would love to replace this guy with another Asus product.

My specific requirements are: 10 inches (or less), detachable, at least 64GB of onboard memory, and 4 GB RAM. 'Wish List' includes a decent processor, active pen support, and a screen with higher resolution than 800 vertical pixels (ideally 1080p or higher).

However, I'm a bit confused by all the various models out there. As far as I can tell the T100HA is the immediate successor to the T100TA, with a Cherry Trail processor, but that's been out for a couple of years. Is there a successor to the T100HA? What is the T101HA and how is it different to the T100HA?

You know what I'd really like: the transformer mini, BUT - one thing I really like about the T100TA is the hinged attachment of the keyboard dock to the tablet. I do a lot of my work in a lying or semi reclined position (in bed in the evenings, or slumped blissfully in a deep beanchair during the day), with the computer on my lap. The problem is that the latest fad of soft keyboard covers with flappy hinges completely kills that functionality (message to world - Please stop copying the Surface). This means that the transformer minis are out. But do they make something equivalent with a hinged keyboard dock?

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers,

D

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    A quick follow up question. My T100TA sports a z3775 processor. The T100HA has an x5-z8500 processor. Comparing these two (CPU Boss) it seems like the newer x5-z8500 processor is appreciably slower than the older model's processor. Can anyone comment on the comparison? I find my T100TA is pretty zippy, but a tablet I have running an x5-8300 feels really sluggish. Admittedly it isn't an x5-8500, but why would you downgrade the processor speed on an already-slow tablet model? Why didn't Asus go with an x7 processor which seems to have equivalent benchmarks?

At this stage, the only portable computer I can find with specs approaching what I might like is a GPD Pocket!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a T100HA and T103HAF.
    I also have a fire-breathing laptop at work, but usually leave it on my desk.
    I have an external monitor and keyboard and the T100HA works fine for 95% of what I do. For people who call themselves power users, I even have R for statistics and maple for symbolic maths installed. Both run fine, albeit a bit slow.
    The T103HAF tends to travel with me. It seems a tiny bit faster, definitely has better wifi than the T100HA and it came with a pen. I also spent the extra money for 128Gb of storage.

Other people say the detachable keyboards are OK when you get used to them. I never could, so the keyboard lives in a cupboard. If I go to a meeting, I have a cheap Bluetooth keyboard, which has full size keys.

Strangely, there are almost no posts about the T103HAF. Either that means there are no problems or nobody except me bought one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    not in the asus range but i regulary use a lenovo helix, you can get an i5 or i7 version second hand pretty cheap now. Not sure about the newer version but never had any issues with mine, even bought a second one to put unbuntu on

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links