Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help! Cannot go back to Windows 8.1!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times

Please help! Cannot go back to Windows 8.1!

Hi guys,

I read all the threads about going back to Windows 8 from Windows 10 and have no idea why it does not work in my case: I have an Asus T100TAM.

I had updated to Windows 10 and that's how I did it. Winin Windows 10, I chose in Restore Windows options to revert back to Windows 8 (you get one month to do so). During the re-installation process I had to insert a USB stick that was made during the upgrade to Windows 10. But suddenly, a blue screen appeared with an error message that Windows needs to be restored with some restore tools and the error code 0xc0000225.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do now. With official media creation tools from Microsoft I made two usb installs (Windows 10 and Windows 8). The Windows 8 one asks for a product code (which I don't have) and does not want to reinstall Windows. Restore options do not work, also pressing F9 button does not work.

What can I do now? As far as I can see, the recovery partition is still there, as I have not deleted anything.

Please, help me!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Welcome to the Forum Reggius.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles returning to Windows 8.1
    The best solution I can think of is to create a new installation usb for windows 8.1 and reinstall it. You mentioned that you had already made one but it may have had been incorrectly created or corrupted in some way. If your windows device previously came with windows 8.1 then the product code should not need to be entered as it is detected by the install tool. You can also cancel the request for a key if it asks for one.

I recommend using another PC to create a new install media drive using these instructions from microsoft Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help. Let us know if you encounter any problems.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    Gtanner00, thank you very much for your swift reply! I did indeed make an installation usb for windows 8.1, however it asks me for a product code and there is no option to skip this request (the windows 10 installation usb has this option "not to fill in the product code"). I will try to make another windows 8.1 installation usb now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmmm, could it be the case that I had to choose Windows 8.1N and not Windows 8.1 when creating this installation usb? If so, then I know why the Windows 8.1 installation failed. Now, I am making the Windows 8.1 installation usb.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    The N versions of Windows are for European regions where laws prevent Microsoft from bundling default services like browser and search engine without permission from the user.

If you think that label applies to you you can install it.

Also remember that your t100 is 32 bit so you will need to choose to create a 32 bit installer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    Gtanner00, thanks a lot for your replies and your willingness to assist me in this unbelievably frustrating process. The installation usb (32 bit) is now being made. Soon, I will report about further developments.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    No, Windows 8.1 N cannot be installed as well. It is asking for a product code and the restore function from the installation usb does not work.
    What can I try now? It is so strange...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    After having formatted disk C:, I managed to install Windows 10 (without any product codes). Now, I am trying to roll back to Windows 8.1 (using an installation USB or from Windows 10 itself), but the system keeps asking for a product code. I managed to get a serial number by using the famous Prompt command (wmic path etc.), but this code is not accepted during the Windows 8.1 installation.

As far as I know, the Windows code is embedded into BIOS. My laptop came with Windows 8.1. What does it mean then? Has the product code for Windows 8.1 been replaced by the code for Windows 10 after my upgrade from 8.1 to 10? Does anyone know? What can I do now to go back to 8.1?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Not exactly sure what is going on then. It's even weirder that if wont take the serial number you found either.

I am assuming that you are formatting your entire drive in the installer before you install Windows? I usually remove any and all existing partitions so there is no previous data.

At what point in the installation does it ask for the product code and what options does it give you?

It is a possibility that upon installing Windows 10 and registering it with Microsoft that it prevents you from verifying any windows 8 installations from then on out. That would be very very sneaky on the part of Microsoft and I doubt that is what is happening.

Just as an aside, I don't think you ever made it clear why you wanted to go back to 8.1 permanently. Was there some other problem that would just be resolved by a fresh Windows 10 install? (which you have done a few times now)

I'll keep thinking about other possibilities. And maybe you can try again with the 32 bit non N version and remember to delete all the partitions.

Glad to have helped even a little bit. The important part is not getting impatient and rushing through things. Remember you always have a way to reinstall Windows 10 if you can access the bios.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    0 times
    Again, thanks for being so helpful and bearing with me. Are you suggesting to remove (not just re-format) all partitions including the Windows 8.1 recovery partition? If I try to install Windows 8.1 then, I think it will never succeed. At the moment, I have all partitions intact (including the original recovery partition). Hmmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links