Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Great deal on T100TAM should i get the T100HA instead?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times

Great deal on T100TAM should i get the T100HA instead?

Ok quick story. STAPLES (in the U.S.) has a $100 off clearance tablets/PC coupon. I found a T100TAM on clearance (Floor model-good shape) cost me $211 with Tax. I 've been watching the T100 series for awhile and I saw the deal and jumped. I knew the T100HA was coming but I didn't want to miss the deal. So after a couple of days I love the tablet but there are a couple of things I'm concerned about.

1. The USB charger on my unit fits a little tight, every time I try to plug it in to charge its a little stiff. I had a problem with a broken micro usb before so I'm very sensitive about the charging port. Can I charge from the 3.0 USB on the Keyboard doc?

2. I went for a 30 day free trial of office before using the code that came with the laptop. I want to put Norton antivirus on, but as the hard drive fills up, will software slow down?

3. Didn't install an SD card yet, how is the performance running software directly from the card?

4. Windows 10 upgrade is preparing to download will it make the tablet better or worse?

I guess the real point of this post anyone have a recommendation on a $211 T100TAM or $424 T100HA (4GB RAM 64GB-HD), I don't have a lot of money just want some opinions with experience.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Sounds like you got a great deal. As for your questions;

1. No you can't charge from the USB connector on the dock. If the microSD connector is/gets jacked up, you'll be sending it for repair.
    2. Your call but I'd avoid Norton like the plague. There are much lighter AV available.
    3. Get a high quality as fast s you can afford 64GB microSD and you should be good. Note, not all software will run from the microSD.
    4. That's such a subjective question, just give it a try. Just make sure you keep your restore path back to Win8.1 path so you can go back.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    It will all depend on how you want to use it. If it is a 32 gb model, I'd just go with the Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and keep the disk space. That is what I am doing. You may find the 32 gb restrictive if you want to load a lot of music/video on it or Store apps. Don't plan to have more than a couple of programs open at a time or tabs open on a browser. Two gb RAM is not a lot but sufficient for light to medium duty. You have to have reasonable expectations for it. As for Windows 10, the upgrade can be smooth or a headache. If you liked Windows 8.1, there is tablet mode, which is pretty much the old 8.1 Start screen. Sometimes, users are reporting problems out of the blue due to updates but my install has been pretty stable.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    Mine is a bit tight on the charge plug as well but when I insert it a bit from behind, it goes in easily.
    Poul

T100TA DK024H - Z3775 - 64Gb
    PNY 128Gb mSD
    BIOS 307 - Win10 Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    i love using sphinx's win10 firewall, malwarebytes and panda antivirus combos on my main systems for protection. also don't forget a little dielectric grease goes a long ways. i use that stuff on all my connectors, esp battery connectors. makes everything smooth like butter. btw you can used a 128g microsd card. dont know if the 256g works. dont want to fork over the premium for that size yet. when it comes down to say the cost of 2 x 128g then that's when i'll pick one up to test it.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA-B2-GR & T100TAF-B1-BF

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    2. I stick with Windows 8/10's built in anti-virus, but I've never heard good things about Norton.
    3. The microSD on the T100 is limited to USB 2 speeds I believe, so it's not going to be superfast, but it's still good enough to run many applications, I'd only worry if it was going to be something disk-intensive.
    4. There are plenty of topics on these forums about this; one significant improvement is the ~7GB of disk space freed up (once you've cleaned up the Windows 8 files).

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Windows Defender is not enough - not unless you only want minimal protection. Just read the malware related thread for the T100.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
    I guess the real point of this post anyone have a recommendation on a $211 T100TAM or $424 T100HA (4GB RAM 64GB-HD), I don't have a lot of money just want some opinions with experience.

Thanks!
    Where are you seeing the T100HA for $424? It's too high for that model, someone is either likely taking advantage of low availability or importing it... While it's not even out in the states yet, not until at least early October...

The extra 2GB of RAM and up to 128GB of eMMC storage, combined with better graphical performance could be a reason to consider the T100HA but that depends on how you intend to use the system as the CPU performance will be pretty close to the same... If you're fine with the performance of the T100TAM then it's probably not enough reason to consider the T100HA but the starting price is suppose to be about $270 for the 2GB with 32GB model but it'll come with Windows 10 and unless you like Windows 10 then that may be enough of a issue for you to stick to the T100TAM...

Windows 10 is still a work in progress, it's getting a partial update in October with the Threshold2 update and then a bigger update next year with the Redstone update... So it may be preferable to wait if you want something you're more familiar with now and don't have to worry about early bugs, etc. of a new release...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    I use malwarebytes too, but have Windows Defender as the anti-virus. I have read the malware thread, there are various opinions as to how much protection it provides, or what's best. I still wouldn't recommend Norton. Yes, the OP should read that thread ( The Transformer T100 Antivirus & Malware MEGA thread. ALL related posts here, please. ) to see the range of options available.
    fiat_lux likes this.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    246 times
    My T100 charge port was tight but after a few months it was fine. FYI it is sensitive to the angle of insertion.

Also welcome to the forum.

Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links