Thread: How to Move Start Button

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Angry How to Move Start Button

I want to move the start button to ANYWHERE other than the bottom left.

I often accidentally press the start button at the bottom left when, say, left-clicking or just moving the cursor around normally. Then I am jarringly brought into that pointless Microsoft invention, Tile World. This is extremely annoying.

I tried to fix this by moving the entire task bar over to the left. I thought it would work... but it didn't. Instead, it created TWO start buttons, one that is always visible at the top left and a "ghost" start button that only appears when my cursor is over it... in the worst possible place. The bottom left.

Second thoughts.jpg

There must be SOME way to move the start button to a place where I am less likely to click on it by accident. What is that way?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    If you hate "tile world", you're gonna really hate Win10.

I don't believe what you're asking can be done unless you use one of those "desktop only" emulators... and even then, the start button will still be there... just not a link to "tile world".
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    rickscheller likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    This program got rid of the "always visible" start button.

Unfortunately, the "pop up" start button in the bottom left that appears whenever a cursor is on it is still there, still causing me to go into tile world accidentally every few minutes.

start still there.jpg

This zombie "pop up" tile world button is just infuriating.

There HAS to be some way to get rid of it... *cough cough Apple products are calling cough cough*

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I hate Windows 8.1 and all Tile World crap enough that I am seriously considering switching to Windows 7. Is that possible on the Asus T100? Is there a cheap and/or easy way to do this?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    You could always try going back to Windows 8. In Win 8, MS totally got rid of the Start button in the desktop view. Many people complained because it was gone, and now you have the scenario that you don't like released in Win 8.1.

There are other options to get rid of the tile interface as well, where you can configure Windows 8.1 to be more desktop oriented like Windows 7. Google can be your friend here. Try some searches such as "Configure Windows 8.1 to be like Windows 7", "Remove Windows 8.1 Metro", "windows 8.1 desktop only"

Here's some hits to get you started:
    Here's how to make Windows 8.1 more like Windows 7 (in case you're weird like that) | Windows Central

How to Totally Avoid Metro, Use Only Desktop Mode in Windows 8

How To Boot to the Desktop in Windows 8.1 [Easy, 5 Min]

How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7

Personally, I think you're over reacting due to just traveling in foreign territory for the first time. People by nature are generally opposed to changes. You get familiar working in a certain way, then when you move to something else and something is in a different location, or takes you to somewhere you didn't intend or expect to go and it isn't easy to find your way back, then we all tend to over react. Even when those changes make things simpler to perform a task, our initial reaction is to get frustrated because it no longer works the way we had grown accustom. We are creatures of habit.....no way to escape that.

Here's a funny story I'll share along those lines as an example. I work for a company that develops automotive infotainment systems. Part of my job when we launched one of our systems was to travel around different regions throughout the U.S, where dealership sales managers and staff, and technicians were invited to training seminars. It was my job to conduct training, where I was essentially "training the trainers". I teach them how to use the system, answer their questions and they take that knowledge back with them to their local car dealerships and train their staff and customers interested in learning more about the system.

We were one of the 1st to offer "One-shot Voice Recognition Destination entry" for navigation systems. I had regional managers fuming because they could not figure out how to enter a destination through VR, because they were so used to the older generation systems where they had to do a step-by-step Voice entry procedure. I asked them, "Well show me what you're trying to do, so I can figure out how to help you."

We go into the vehicle.
    1.He presses the VR button.....
    2.<system> "Say the address to the location you would like route guidance"
    3. <Person> "California"
    4. <System> "Say the house number, followed by the street name, City and State"
    5. <Person> "Los Angeles"
    6. <System> "Pardon?"
    7. <Person> "James Street"
    8. <System> "Say the house number, followed by the street name, City and State"
    9. <Person> "1432......ahhhhhh F**k it!!!"

So I had to ask him, When someone asks you for an address, do you typically give it to them in a step by step manor? No? OK, then why when the system asked you for the address did you provide it in a step-by-step manor? Because that's how the previous system worked. Ahhhhh....OK. Now let's go back and try it this way.

1.He presses the VR button.....
    2.<system> "Say the address to the location you would like route guidance"
    3. <Person> 1432 James Street, Los Angeles, California.
    Done....

<Person> WOW!!! That was much simpler and was a much more natural way of speaking!!!

Yep, just needed to break yourself of the old habits and start paying attention again and being open to learning an easier way of achieving the same end result. So you're not so frustrated any longer? Nope!!! I'm going to go back and show everyone of my staff members how simple and cool this is compared to the old way of doing things. Excellent, that's why I'm here.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 07-07-2015 at 11:17 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Pretty much any of the 3rd party Start Menu replacement apps also let you disable the hot corners but some tend to disable them all instead of individually... So just check if which ever solution you decide to get has the option for individual selection if you don't want to disable the other hot corners too... Should be covered in user FAQs or reviews... While some at least are already developing betas for when Windows 10 comes out, expecting some people to still want alternatives...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

There are other options to get rid of the tile interface as well, where you can configure Windows 8.1 to be more desktop oriented like Windows 7. Google can be your friend here. Try some searches such as "Configure Windows 8.1 to be like Windows 7", "Remove Windows 8.1 Metro", "windows 8.1 desktop only"

Here's some hits to get you started:
    Here's how to make Windows 8.1 more like Windows 7 (in case you're weird like that) | Windows Central

How to Totally Avoid Metro, Use Only Desktop Mode in Windows 8

How To Boot to the Desktop in Windows 8.1 [Easy, 5 Min]

How to Make Windows 8 or 8.1 Look and Feel Like Windows 7
    Thank you for these links! I look forward to trying them tonight.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Personally, I think you're over reacting due to just traveling in foreign territory for the first time. People by nature are generally opposed to changes. You get familiar working in a certain way, then when you move to something else and something is in a different location, or takes you to somewhere you didn't intend or expect to go and it isn't easy to find your way back, then we all tend to over react. Even when those changes make things simpler to perform a task, our initial reaction is to get frustrated because it no longer works the way we had grown accustom. We are creatures of habit.....no way to escape that.

Here's a funny story I'll share

Yep, just needed to break yourself of the old habits and start paying attention again and being open to learning an easier way of achieving the same end result...
    Thanks for the funny story, though it clearly does not apply to this situation for several obvious reasons, though I will only mention one huge one now:

Yep, just needed to break yourself of the old habits and start paying attention again and being open to learning an easier way of achieving the same end result...
    Please fill in the blanks as specifically and as concretely as you can as I honestly have no idea what your answers will be.

I never had any problems with prior trackpads or start menus, but some "bad" old habits regarding trackpads (and start menus) that I need to break are: _______________________.
    I need to be open to learning a newer and easier way of using the trackpad and start menu, specifically _______________________.
    This is the easier way to achieve the same end result of _________________________________________.
    Last edited by WeCanLearnAnything; 07-08-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WeCanLearnAnything View Post
    Thanks for the funny story, though it clearly does not apply to this situation for several obvious reasons, though I will only mention one huge one now:
    It wasn't obvious after reading this scenario.....

Unfortunately, the "pop up" start button in the bottom left that appears whenever a cursor is on it is still there, still causing me to go into tile world accidentally every few minutes.
    So every "few minutes", you continually "accidentally" hoover to the bottom left corner of the screen, which then causes the start button to appear, and then following that, you again "accidentally" click on that button? Is that really the problem we're trying to help you solve here? Two back to back accidental actions performed by yourself?

Problem Solved. Solution=PICNIC.
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/picnic.htm

I never had any problems with prior trackpads or start menus, but some "bad" old habits regarding trackpads (and start menus) that I need to break are: _______________________.
    I need to be open to learning a newer and easier way of using the trackpad and start menu, specifically _______________________.
    This is the easier way to achieve the same end result of _________________________________________.
    Maybe you didn't read the story like you had said. If you had, you may have realized anyone would need to know what you're trying to do in the 1st place, or what you're doing wrong to understand what is causing your frustrations to be able to answer such questions. So once you take some time to explain your workflow and make some effort to understand why you are consistently "accidentally" keep going to the start screen, then others may be able to assist you with some tips on configuring Windows to be more personalized for your needs.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 07-08-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links