Thread: How to Move Start Button

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    ALL of those specific tasks [edit: including LaTeX among other things] are made easier in tile world, since there are specific apps that their development is focused around performing those tasks when using those tasks with a touch screen user interface.
    I am still a struggling LaTeX newbie and would really appreciate it if you could elaborate a little on which Windows 8 Tile World app is better than TexMaker or what Tile World adds to the TexMaker experience. I honestly don't get it. I searched "LaTeX" in the Windows 8 app store and found very little, but maybe I'm missing something?

As for PDFs, Line2, Calibre eReader, basic browsing, Gmail, I still haven't heard of any advantages of Tile World apps except that IE is good for touch-based browsing... which I don't really need. What am I missing?
    Last edited by WeCanLearnAnything; 07-12-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WeCanLearnAnything View Post
    I'm no expert on the topic, but aren't all Macbooks non-touchscreen based with, I believe, no plans to move towards touchscreens? I thought those were easy to find (if you have the $$$$$$$$$), but I'm hardly a computer afficionado. I vaguely remember, I think, something along the lines of Tim Cook comparing Windows 8 to joining a fridge and a toaster...

This thread is starting to convince me to return the T100 and buy a Macbook instead... I've used those before and they seemed super easy to use!
    Yes, it sounds like you should have purchased a MacBook. As they say, different folks/different strokes. And NO MacBooks are not non-touchscreen based, quite the opposite.

Here's "Launch Pad" on a MacBook. Launch Pad is essentially the equivalent of the Windows Start Screen ,except it's missing the coolness of the Window's Live Tiles and the ability to change the size of each icon. Since the MacBook is so much easier as you describe, then I'm assuming you must already know how launch pad works but for some reason are struggling with the Windows start screen. Good luck and enjoy the MacBook.

MacBook "Launch Pad"

Windows "Start Screen"

They serve the same purpose.

P.S. I don't know how to move the Launch pad icon on the bottom left.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 07-13-2015 at 06:10 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    OneCalendar works with google calendar (and other calendar servers) and MAIL works with gmail (and other mail servers).

The OneCalendar live tile shows upcoming scheduled appts without opening the app.

I think it's time to get this thread back on topic... which is solved (or not?).
    Last edited by rickscheller; 07-13-2015 at 02:00 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    OneCalendar works with google calendar (and other calendar servers) and MAIL works with gmail (and other mail servers).

The OneCalendar live tile shows upcoming scheduled appts without opening the app.
    I have exactly one Gmail account and nothing else, so the fact that tile-/touch-based MAIL works with many types of accounts gives me no benefits.

Gmail and Google Calendar work really well together as tabs in a browser and I like (need?) the extra password protection from the browser sign in process. And I hate notifications... I always turn those completely off.

Also, One Calendar is actually a paid app for Google Calendar accounts - and my one Google Calendar account is the only calendar account I use. I'd rather not pay for an app that, as far as I can tell, signs into a website browser for me and does nothing else.

onecalisnotfree.jpg

For PDFs, LaTeX, Gmail, Google Calendar, basic browsing, Calibre, and Line 2 - which is everything I use this Asus T100 for - I've concluded that there are zero substantial benefits to Tile World apps for me, but will revisit this when Microsoft Edge or other new (free) apps come out.

Unless Windows 10 and some AMAZING apps come out soon, though, I'll be buying Apple products from now on because my experiences on those have been far simpler and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    I think it's time to get this thread back on topic... which is solved (or not?).
    I titled the original thread "How to Move Start Button". Apparently, this is impossible, so I guess this thread is unsolvable?

I tried moving the taskbar and even downloading a special program that was supposed to do nothing other than delete the start button. Unfortunately, all that actually happened was that the old start button was replicated somewhere else and then a secondary "pop-up" start button materialized in the bottom left of the screen, right where it was before. (See earlier posts for pictures.)

Hi ho, hi ho, to the Apple Store I'll go...
    Last edited by WeCanLearnAnything; 07-13-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    With your $900+ Macbook Air, perhaps you really can learn anything. Good luck.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links