Thread: How to Move Start Button

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I never had any problems with prior trackpads or start menus, but some "bad" old habits regarding trackpads (and start menus) that I need to break are: "the T100 doesn't have the most precise trackpad, so don't rely on the trackpad, use the touchscreen".
    I need to be open to learning a newer and easier way of using the trackpad and start menu, specifically "use the touchscreen".
    This is the easier way to achieve the same end result of "use the touchscreen". Yep.

Here's an idea... unless you do a whole, whole lot of text entry, try just using the tablet and touchscreen. It's really pretty great.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    It wasn't obvious after reading this scenario.....

So every "few minutes", you continually "accidentally" hoover to the bottom left corner of the screen, which then causes the start button to appear, and then following that, you again "accidentally" click on that button? Is that really the problem we're trying to help you solve here? Two back to back accidental actions performed by yourself?

Problem Solved. Solution=PICNIC.
    What is PICNIC (Problem in chair not in computer)?
    I have used many trackpads and operating systems in the past and I only have problems with this one. The problem is specific to this computer and OS, not to me, so your PICNIC comment is both condescending and obviously false.

Besides, if you go back and read the OP and its title, the question was how to move the start button. I haven't looked at your links yet, but I guess, for some reason, that's impossible in Windows 8.1?

As for the relevance of your story, it would be great if you could either provide specifics or consider admitting you don't know enough to say if that story is an apt analogy.

So here are the questions again:

Which specific tasks are made easier by the Windows 8.1 Tile World Start button? (Tasks I use computer for: gmail, LaTeX, basic web browsing, PDFs, Calibre eReader, Line2... and very little else. All were as easy or easier to do in Windows 7, btw.)

I never had any problems with trackpads before, but you are certain that I am carrying with me old/bad habits regarding trackpads. Why do they cause problems on this machine only? And what new and better habits should I learn to make my tasks easier?

I'm asking with an open mind and I await your response.
    Last edited by WeCanLearnAnything; 07-08-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Just as an FYI... gmail, LaTeX, basic web browsing, PDFs, Calibre eReader, Line2 can all be set up and be launched from a "tile world" button. You just need to have a desire and open mind to learn a different way.

I was a lot like you till I got the T100 and I shunned "tile world" for months. After 4-5 months, I found myself using "tile world" more and more. Now having said that, my "desktop" PC also has Win8.1 on it and I never leave the desktop, mouse, keyboard paradigm... why, one reason... it doesn't have touchscreen. Even if it did, the 23" desktop monitor would be very cumbersome. The T100 is small and agile and is the perfect device to use in tablet touch mode.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WeCanLearnAnything View Post
    I have used many trackpads and operating systems in the past and I only have problems with this one. The problem is specific to this computer and OS, not to me, so your PICNIC comment is both condescending and obviously false.
    How is this obviously false? I own this computer with its trackpad along with a million other people. I can't speak for the other 999.9K people but I have not experienced any of the problems you are describing and you are the only one I have seen on this forum in almost 2 years complaining about "accidentally" hoovering their mouse over certain areas, followed by continuous accidental mouse clicks taking you into the start screen tile world. I can use this computer for days at a time and be able to not once go into the start screen tile interface if I choose to do so. So I'll ask you some simple questions. What are YOU doing where that is not the case and why is nobody else on this forum joining in on the multiple discussions you started about this same topic, not sharing the same experience as you? It's certainly sounding like the PICNIC scenario is "obviously" true.

Quote Originally Posted by WeCanLearnAnything View Post
    Which specific tasks are made easier by the Windows 8.1 Tile World Start button? (Tasks I use computer for: gmail, LaTeX, basic web browsing, PDFs, Calibre eReader, Line2... and very little else.
    ALL of those specific tasks are made easier in tile world, since there are specific apps that their development is focused around performing those tasks when using those tasks with a touch screen user interface. That is the entire purpose of having the tile interface, because Windows 7 was not designed to work with common touch screen gestures, menu layouts or button layouts to adequately support common touch screen tasks such as button presses, screen swiping, touch scrolling and pinch zoom in/out when using a touch screen interface. Maybe you've been sleeping under a rock for the last decade and haven't noticed but every operating system and PC is being designed to improve useability when working with a touch screen user interface. You didn't notice that the T100 is a touch screen tablet? If the tile screens and touch screen supported apps are something you don't want or like, then good luck going to Apple or Android because their OSes are the ones that Windows is following with the introduction of tile world in Windows 8. You better start shopping for your new PCs on Craigslist if you want to avoid tile world and OSes that are being designed with a focus on improving efficiency when using a touch screen interface.

You may even learn to appreciate it one day while using your "eReader" and reading a "PDF", when you can simply pinch your fingers apart to zoom in on the text to make reading the text easier instead of having to click the +/- buttons which are located at a different section of the screen away from the text you are reading, making the task inefficient. While you're there, you might even want to pull out your "touch" stylus and highlight certain sections of the text you're interested in or maybe even write some notes in the blank spaces next to the text with your stylus in that PDF. How about flipping through pages by swiping your hand to the right or left on the screen or swiping your hand up/down to go to the top or bottom of the page? Wait a minute? Aren't those more natural ways that we're already used to when reading a paper print book? Hmmmm??? Certainly sounds like my "funny story" is applicable. Are you currently doing any of that in your Windows 7 Desktop mode working environment?

It's pretty "obvious" to me that you're opposed to changes like I originally described earlier, just like it's obvious you are in the vast minority of people who are complaining and unhappy, since there are billions of cell phones and other PCs out there with the same touch screen tile interfaces . It's ok, I have friends that refuse to buy touch screen smart phones because they're much happier with their simpler hard key motorola flip phone. They can even send me short text messages, it just takes them awhile to respond, so it's all understandable. However, my friends also realize they don't go out and purchase a new smart phone with a touch screen, and expect to be able to make the touch screen interface disappear, and have it magically sprout hard key buttons for them. They've accepted they're in the preference minority and that it would be a losing battle to get on a podium and bang their fist to resist. Once you get to that same acceptance level, then we may be able to help you to get closer to what you're trying to achieve with a few user adjustments and tweaks. In the mean-time make sure you read the articles, and start performing your own Google searches, because there's a whole internet of information out there, which gives tips on customizing Windows 8.1 so it can be configured to be closer to the way YOU want it to work.

Here's another link to get you started:
    Google
    Last edited by Rednroll; 07-10-2015 at 03:53 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Just as an FYI... gmail, LaTeX, basic web browsing, PDFs, Calibre eReader, Line2 can all be set up and be launched from a "tile world" button. You just need to have a desire and open mind to learn a different way.
    Sure. I do have an open mind and I am willing to learn a new way (see handle ) if it truly is easier. So, I'll make a list of how I do things now and perhaps you guys can tell me the newer, easier ways to do things, OK?

So far, I've been using the free program TexMaker in desktop mode. No problems.

The only free Tile World LaTeX app I found for Windows 8 is "Tex Writer" by Jaymelbe. (Please look it up in the Win8 App Store). It appears unsupported to the point of not mentioned on the official website/support site linked to in the App store. When I tried to edit a a file with it, it refreshed the formatting of the source code literally every single time I scrolled, thus making editing nearly impossible. I'm not sure if I can compile the code from that program to see a PDF. If that's possible, I'm not sure how one finds out how to do this as there is no help file or website. Maybe you guys know?

I'd be happy to try any other free Tile World LaTeX editors/compilers that you guys can suggest. Hopefully it's at least as easy to use as TexMaker and works with DropBox.

As for gmail, can anyone recommend free apps for me to try that are easier to use than a browser? One of the advantages of the browser is the fact that due to my career and city, property theft is common. I'm no techie, but it appears to me to be a good thing for me to have an extra layer of password protection offered by the browser. But if there's a Desktop OR Tile World app that's better than gmail in a browser, do let me know.

For PDFs, I've been using the desktop program PDF xChange Viewer and it has perfectly fine pinch and zoom, touch scroll, etc. Plus, it allows me to switch very easily to other PDF tabs and other windows that are usually open in my desktop. What's the better Tile World alternative for PDFs?

I downloaded Chrome, Firefox, and Line 2. All of those seem to just go to Desktop world; they do not appear to be one of those Tile World full-screen apps. I can and do launch them and all the other programs I've mentioned from my taskbar/Desktop, which is what my computer boots to. Isn't this easier than leaving Desktop to go to Tile World to select a tile that takes me back into Desktop? Is there some big advantage to this that I'm missing?

FYI, I hope my tone does not sound disrespectful. I honestly do not know what the big advantage is of tiles/Tile World/immovable Start button over the old-fashioned start menu... which COULD be moved.

I was a lot like you till I got the T100 and I shunned "tile world" for months. After 4-5 months, I found myself using "tile world" more and more. Now having said that, my "desktop" PC also has Win8.1 on it and I never leave the desktop, mouse, keyboard paradigm... why, one reason... it doesn't have touchscreen. Even if it did, the 23" desktop monitor would be very cumbersome. The T100 is small and agile and is the perfect device to use in tablet touch mode.
    Can you specify the big advantages of tablet touch mode for the stuff I do? The keyboard is attached nearly 100% of the time as I do a LOT of typing... plus I had to disable the onscreen keyboard. What do you use Tile World for?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I never had any problems with prior trackpads or start menus, but some "bad" old habits regarding trackpads (and start menus) that I need to break are: "the T100 doesn't have the most precise trackpad, so don't rely on the trackpad, use the touchscreen".
    I need to be open to learning a newer and easier way of using the trackpad and start menu, specifically "use the touchscreen".
    This is the easier way to achieve the same end result of "use the touchscreen". Yep.

Here's an idea... unless you do a whole, whole lot of text entry, try just using the tablet and touchscreen. It's really pretty great.
    Well... given that I actually DO use this computer for a whole lot of text entry - LaTeX and writing email is about 80% the use - perhaps I should have bought a different machine? Perhaps that's the real problem... I don't remember the last time I used the computer and did not need a keyboard attached.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    How is this obviously false? I own this computer with its trackpad along with a million other people. I can't speak for the other 999.9K people but I have not experienced any of the problems you are describing and you are the only one I have seen on this forum in almost 2 years complaining about "accidentally" hoovering their mouse over certain areas, followed by continuous accidental mouse clicks taking you into the start screen tile world. I can use this computer for days at a time and be able to not once go into the start screen tile interface if I choose to do so. So I'll ask you some simple questions. What are YOU doing where that is not the case and why is nobody else on this forum joining in on the multiple discussions you started about this same topic, not sharing the same experience as you? It's certainly sounding like the PICNIC scenario is "obviously" true.
    This thread was actually just about moving the start menu button, something that is, apparently, impossible to do in Windows 8.

As for what I'm doing, I'm not actually sure... that's why I've been starting these threads, trying to better understand what's going on, get ideas for tinkering... And, as another poster said, the Asus T100 trackpad isn't very accurate. This is my struggle with it, but it seems there are others who find the trackpad to be unusually inaccurate as well.

ALL of those specific tasks are made easier in tile world...

You may even learn to appreciate it one day while using your "eReader" and reading a "PDF", when you can simply pinch your fingers apart to zoom in on the text to make reading the text easier instead of having to click the +/- buttons which are located at a different section of the screen away from the text you are reading, making the task inefficient. While you're there, you might even want to pull out your "touch" stylus and highlight certain sections of the text you're interested in or maybe even write some notes in the blank spaces next to the text with your stylus in that PDF. How about flipping through pages by swiping your hand to the right or left on the screen or swiping your hand up/down to go to the top or bottom of the page? Wait a minute? Aren't those more natural ways that we're already used to when reading a paper print book? Hmmmm??? Certainly sounds like my "funny story" is applicable. Are you currently doing any of that in your Windows 7 Desktop mode working environment?
    Wow, you may want to consider diagnosing before you prescribe.

First, I wrote another post requesting specifics on how those tasks are made easier in Tile World and I look forward to responses. I will try any of the (free) apps you mention and will at least consider the paid ones.

For PDFs specifically, have you ever heard of PDF xChange viewer? That's what I use. It is a desktop program that makes pinching, zooming, and swiping very easy to do. I agree that it's a natural way of doing things and it's great! What, though, does Tile World and its immovable "pop-up" button add to this experience?

I don't think I've ever needed to highlight or write notes in or edit a PDF (except through LaTeX source code) though perhaps I will consider it now.

Here's another link to get you started:
    Google
    Please speak more respectfully, the same way you would if we were in person, otherwise we should block each other (if the forums allow this). Sorry if I haven't lived up to this myself, but I promise I will from now on.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    ... every operating system and PC is being designed to improve useability when working with a touch screen user interface. ... If the tile screens and touch screen supported apps are something you don't want or like, then good luck going to Apple or Android because their OSes are the ones that Windows is following with the introduction of tile world in Windows 8. You better start shopping for your new PCs on Craigslist if you want to avoid tile world and OSes that are being designed with a focus on improving efficiency when using a touch screen interface.
    I'm no expert on the topic, but aren't all Macbooks non-touchscreen based with, I believe, no plans to move towards touchscreens? I thought those were easy to find (if you have the $$$$$$$$$), but I'm hardly a computer afficionado. I vaguely remember, I think, something along the lines of Tim Cook comparing Windows 8 to joining a fridge and a toaster...

This thread is starting to convince me to return the T100 and buy a Macbook instead... I've used those before and they seemed super easy to use!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Booting to the desktop rather than the START screen is an option you've chosen. Any desktop program icon can have an equivalent START screen tile. Right click icon and select "pin to start".

For gmaiL, use the START app MAIL... it can handle multiple email providers in the one app... very handy.
    For pdf files, on my T100, I use READER does a good job. While not as near full featured as PDF xChange Viewer... which I use on my desktop PCs rather than that Adobe Reader trash.
    As for browsers, you can create a START tile and they will open in the desktop... then to get back to the START screen, you've got several ways to do that.

You can have as many or as few START tiles on the main START screen as you want/need... everything is always just an up swipe on the START touchscreen away.

As for a browser, I prefer Internet Explorer from the START screen. It's the smoothest touch browser there is currently. That's coming from a long time Firefox only user on my two desktop PCs. And Chrome... too many negatives right now.

I'm not pushing you to change how you do things, I'm just trying to show you there are other options and many of the START screen apps are quite useful and quite system integrated.

When Win10 rolls out, we'll again be submersed in a new way of doing things since both the desktop and START screens will be a mix of both worlds from Win8.

Good luck with your experiences.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Booting to the desktop rather than the START screen is an option you've chosen. Any desktop program icon can have an equivalent START screen tile. Right click icon and select "pin to start".

For gmaiL, use the START app MAIL... it can handle multiple email providers in the one app... very handy.
    For pdf files, on my T100, I use READER does a good job. While not as near full featured as PDF xChange Viewer... which I use on my desktop PCs rather than that Adobe Reader trash.
    As for browsers, you can create a START tile and they will open in the desktop... then to get back to the START screen, you've got several ways to do that.

You can have as many or as few START tiles on the main START screen as you want/need... everything is always just an up swipe on the START touchscreen away.

As for a browser, I prefer Internet Explorer from the START screen. It's the smoothest touch browser there is currently. That's coming from a long time Firefox only user on my two desktop PCs. And Chrome... too many negatives right now.

I'm not pushing you to change how you do things, I'm just trying to show you there are other options and many of the START screen apps are quite useful and quite system integrated.

When Win10 rolls out, we'll again be submersed in a new way of doing things since both the desktop and START screens will be a mix of both worlds from Win8.

Good luck with your experiences.
    Gmail is the only email I use and I use it in conjunction with Google Calendar. The Windows 8 Mail/Calendar app, famously, cannot sync with Google Calendar. (And, amazingly, there are no free options in the Windows 8 App Store that do.) Sounds like I should stick with the browser in desktop mode for gmail and calendar?

I don't see any advantages to the native PDF Reader app, so I'll stick with the Desktop world PDF xChange Viewer, which is working very well, touch/swipe/pinch/zoom and everything.

As for browsers, I like Chrome for speed and (apparent) compatibility with Gmail/Google Calendar. I use Firefox for extensive reading because ITS READER MODE IS FREAKING AWESOME!! Does IE have a client-side reader mode? I think that Edge will so perhaps I'll use that when it comes out. Until then, I guess I should stick to Desktop mode browsers?

As for LaTeX, Line2, Calibre... sounds like Desktop mode is the only way to go, unless, for some reason, I feel like booting into desktop, going into Tile World, clicking on its one of their shortcuts and then coming right back to Desktop mode.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like there are exactly zero benefits of the new START/Tile World stuff for what I do....

And, there is, still, no suggestions on the OP: How to move the start button?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links