Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times

Windows update turned off. What am I missing ?

Hi,

As windows updates were piling up over the time on my T100, it started to become slower and slower and have erratic beahaviors. The on screen keyboad would appear only once in a while on log on screen, internet speed kept waving from average to none, etc.

Now I have restored my T100 to a prime image I had made right after everything was installed and all is back to normal. The on screen keyboard always shows up, internet speed is optimal and the tablet is as fast as I expect it to be. I have decided to turn off the Windows updates in order to keep it that way. Is there any critical update I am missing if I don't want to suicide my T100?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If you look at the standard list, not the optional ones, they are all pretty much critical in one way or the other, mostly for security patching.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Your username "mychance" is pretty accurate if you don't allow Windows critical updates. You'll be taking a huge chance, With Windows security and malware issues as ubiquitous and tortuous as they are, anyone who isn't prepared to invest regular maintenance time in looking after their Windows OS is heading for a fall.

And no, just being careful and having a free anti virus solution or Windows Defender isn't good enough...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mychance View Post
    ...Is there any critical update I am missing if I don't want to suicide my T100?
    Windows 10 free upgrade, available after 7/29/15.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mychance View Post
    Hi,

As windows updates were piling up over the time on my T100, it started to become slower and slower and have erratic beahaviors. The on screen keyboad would appear only once in a while on log on screen, internet speed kept waving from average to none, etc.

Now I have restored my T100 to a prime image I had made right after everything was installed and all is back to normal. The on screen keyboard always shows up, internet speed is optimal and the tablet is as fast as I expect it to be. I have decided to turn off the Windows updates in order to keep it that way. Is there any critical update I am missing if I don't want to suicide my T100?
    I have had similar experience on Windows updates. I own (9) Win 8.1 PCs. Too many updates, with no description of what each one does, followed by update failures and system related problems. I guess MS expects you to go on their website and read what update KB678712 is for everyone of their updates. I've updated my system, made sure everything is working properly. Then I turned off Windows updates and don't feel like I'm missing anything other than the headaches the updates caused. Once everything is updated and working, I've taken the approach that if it aint broke, then it don't need fixing. Life has been good since then. To some, I guess they would consider that I'm living on the edge, where the big bad "critical update" security virus might come and get me, although that's what I keep a HDD image backup for like you described you had done, in case anything seems out of the norm.

So turn it off, you won't miss a thing has been my experience and if you find you are, then you can always do a manual update or turn it back on and catch up on the updates, with a better chance MS has consolidated and fixed individual updates that caused problems. Yeah, that's the funny thing. Better things actually come to those of us who choose to wait. Instead of seeing 50 different updates, you'll often see a single consolidated update package and you don't see those updates that say, "Fixes a bug that was introduced in Windows update KB465912"
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Since having to reset my T100 earlier this year, I only install "important updates"... I hide all "optional updates".
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links