Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Question How to improve internet surfing speed?

Have had my T100-64GB for almost 9-months and really love it

Unfortunately I'm finding my internet surfing extremely slow, even after the recently upgrade from rogers internet-lite service user to;

• Download Speed: from 1192-kbps to 49182 kbps
    • Upload Speed: from 885-kbps to 11094 kbps
    • The Network Connection - Speed 65.0 mbps

Pages just seem to freeze and it sometimes takes up to 30-seconds or more to open a page. It feels like dial-up day are back again.

Why have I not seen an improvement in the response times for opening webpages?

What can I do to improve it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Margaret

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BantryBayGirl View Post
    Have had my T100-64GB for almost 9-months and really love it

Unfortunately I'm finding my internet surfing extremely slow, even after the recently upgrade from rogers internet-lite service user to;

• Download Speed: from 1192-kbps to 49182 kbps
    • Upload Speed: from 885-kbps to 11094 kbps
    • The Network Connection - Speed 65.0 mbps

Pages just seem to freeze and it sometimes takes up to 30-seconds or more to open a page. It feels like dial-up day are back again.

Why have I not seen an improvement in the response times for opening webpages?

What can I do to improve it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Margaret
    What browser? That could be a part of the problem.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    What browser? That could be a part of the problem.
    Browser doesn't determine the connection speed.
    OP should have network connection at 150Mbps if router if 802.11n.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    Browser doesn't determine the connection speed.
    OP should have network connection at 150Mbps if router if 802.11n.
    Browser and any extensions or ad-ons does affect browsing performance. Which is why I said "a part of the problem"

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Browser and any extensions or ad-ons does affect browsing performance. Which is why I said "a part of the problem"
    Fix the "root cause" first, then move on to any other possible issues.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Unfortunately, there are many factors to consider when troubleshooting internet speed.
    1. Is it device specific? Are you experiencing similar speed problems with other devices at the same times you're experiencing them with the T100?
    2. Router specific? What type of router are you using and have you updated to the latest firmware?
    3. Cable modem specific? Are you using your own cable modem, or a leased Rogers one? For the updated speeds you provided, you'll need a Docsis 3.0 compliant cable modem.
    4. IP Service specific?

The problem can be in anyone of those areas. The first thing to do is narrow it down to one of those areas and then we can go deeper into solving potential problems in those areas.

I also have the occasional internet speed related issue and I have it narrowed down to #4, my internet service provider. I subscribe to a 30Mbps dwn/5mbps up from WOW cable and I often notice slow speeds. Rebooting my cable modem sometimes fixes the problem temporarily, other times it doesn't matter how many times I reboot. I have been doing speed checks using Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test on a regular basis recently. Most of the times when doing the test, I'm getting what I'm paying for, other times I'll see speeds as low as 0.5mbps/0.5mbps. The only way to know is to do regular speed checks using the same PC, in the same area if using Wifi and note the day and time of day, and keep a record of those speed checks.

The reason the day and time of day is important, particularly with cable internet providers is that everyone in your neighborhood who also may be a Roger's internet subscriber, shares the total amount of bandwidth that can be provided to the neighborhood. For example, currently you're indicating you're subscribing to a 50Mbps download speed. If your internet provider is only able to provide a total bandwidth of 200Mbps to your neighborhood, then it only takes 4 of your neighbors who are also subscribing to the same service as you and using their max bandwidth, before there's no more additional bandwidth to go around. So if you have 10 neighbors who are currently home and streaming Netflix at a particular time of day, you may run into slow internet speeds. Typically, very early in the morning or in the afternoon when your neighbors may not be home and using their internet could show that those are the times you're getting the speeds you're paying for. Other prime-time's (when everyone is home and using their internet) you may experience slow internet speeds.

Another thing many of the Cable internet providers are doing and don't publish when they're selling you "upgraded" internet speeds that you won't find unless you read the fine print, is that many cable service providers have a Max Cap limit. They will give you the Max up/dwn speeds until you reach a specific amount of data download for the month and then restrict your speed for the rest of the month. Typically in the range of a 20GByte cap. I believe Rogers cable may be one of those Internet providers that does this.

Read more about Rogers here:
    http://o.canada.com/technology/perso...bscribers-back
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08...n_3727383.html

Do some googling and you will see there are quite a few not so happy Rogers internet service customers. Until you've narrowed it down of where the bottle neck is actually occurring, it's hard to offer any advise on solving the problem. Chances are, it may not be the T100's fault at all for the slow internet speeds.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-29-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Just to give some more insight. Like I mentioned, I noticed recently that my internet speeds seemed to be very inconsistent, where there were often times I felt like I was on dial-up. I purchased a new cable modem to make sure it wasn't my cable modem, since the cable company's will typically blame your Cable modem if you don't lease one of theirs and then they'll blame your router. They're NEVER at fault. However, I disagree and the only way to prove them wrong is to collect the data.

So, I've been running some speed checks after I purchased my new cable modem. The cable modem I purchased was a Motorola Surfboard SB6141, which is a Docsis 3.0 modem, and is one of the highest rated modems in regards to reliable speeds, and being the most compliant with the majority of Internet Cable providers.

I've been running these tests using the SAME PC, which happens to be connected to my router with both a wired and wireless Wifi connection. I make sure to run the tests when no one else in my household is using the internet. The best way to do these checks to see if it is, your internet service provider is to connect a PC via a wired connection directly to your Cable modem. Thus, eliminating the router and Wifi interference as other potential causes of slow speeds. Here's my current list of speed test results. Like I mentioned previously, I'm subscribing to 30mbps download, and 5mbps Upload. More recently, my speeds have been consistent and close to what I'm paying for, so I'll chalk it up to my ISP doing some maintenance on their end.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links