Thread: T100ha!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    On the other hand - depending on distributions - for Debian-based ones, for example, an apt-get upgrade will almost never actually upgrade the kernel. That is something that has happened only for extremely rare libc/kernel incompatibility issues, where the upgrade will tell you that until you upgrade the kernel the libc will not be upgraded. Has happened twice the last decade IIRC. It could possibly update some loadable drivers though, although that's also incredibly rare, and if it does, no reboot is needed.
    Not sure what you are talking about.. Ubuntu that is Deb-Ian based updates their Kernels all the time. They have to, take a look at exploit-db and see how many potential security threats there are (ie. https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/40489/ ) for multiple kernel versions. The overlayfs exploit in 3.10 was fun and why Ubuntu chose 3.10 for their LTS when everyone else had the sense to go with 3.12 I will never know. You might be getting confused with LTS releases and them not bumping majors, or maybe you're talking about Deb-Ian releases in general that do seem to happen every decade. A reboot is always needed for a Kernel upgrade with little exception. Now you can load and unload modules.. update those without restarting. Fedora's kmods (akmods) or dkms will do those roles if you don't want to compile from source yourself, but it's extremely rare as those modules are normally outside the kernel tree. I guess.. I shouldn't say that's even rare because I did it a few times today with the goodix_backport module (rare for most). Again with a kernel upgrade the only time you wouldn't reboot would be if you were using ksplice or kexec and those are on machines with 100% Uptime SLAs running headless and built for a specific purpose. The Pet server idea though is of a bigone era.. clustering handles 100% uptime rather well now and I can slaughter the servers that need updating and just spin up an updated image, think cattle not pets. So uptimes from the perspective of a single server never going down has been antiquated. HA is where it's at. Say no to pet servers! Ksplice (Oracle), KGraft (Suse), KPatch (Redhat) and Kexec are still cool, but more of a niche now. This technology was built for enterprise level servers and not desktops, though it's been possible since Kernel 4.0 to use it, really before that with Oracle and ksplice and even earlier with kexec (more of a brute force method), no distro (maybe Oracle?) has made it the default in their Kernel packages.

Just remembered Ubuntu does offer a live patching service (started last week), that is most likely what you're talking about.. coming together now.. but again seems geared for enterprise.. Not sure how well that's going to go over for your transformer-esque user. Guess we'll see.

You can sign up three computers though..
    http://betanews.com/2016/10/20/how-t...e-patch-ubuntu

Unfortunately for me it doesn't matter I build git updates for 4.9, Cherry Trail (what the T100HA uses) is so new I'm looking Whiskey Cove and various other additions. I like new features especially running Desktop/Laptop hardware and you're stuck with LTS kernels until they EOL (as they patch the kernel but don't bump majors). Again LTS great for enterprise and hardware built for a specific task... not so great for running latest greatest hardware where you tend to go from 4.8.2 to 4.9 versus 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 with bugs and security updates for servers. If your hardware already works perfectly (with Ubuntu 16.04) and you're more then happy with performance and really don't want to reboot for a few years.. try out their live patching service. I like shiny objects to much though so I will be doing git pulls and rebuilding.. I'll go back down in my parents basement now.. lol Have a nice day!
    Last edited by JMiahMan; 10-21-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    225 times
    Well, Ubuntu is only about taking Debian and breaking it in various ways. I don't run Ubuntu. Debian gets updated all the time, the stable releases receive security fixes only, the unstable release also receives feature updates. Kernel security issues are far and few between.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    In the last days my computer freezes at least 1 time a day.
    Do you have any advice on some tests to run in order to determine the reason of the freezes ?
    Thank you

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maxghi View Post
    In the last days my computer freezes at least 1 time a day.
    Do you have any advice on some tests to run in order to determine the reason of the freezes ?
    Thank you
    update: I think the problem happens (sometimes) when transfering many data through usb-c port (also happened with a live distro of ubuntu). Anyway in the last 5 days it didn't happen any more.

However from last night automatic rotation of screen (with keyboard detached) is not working (also I can't find automatic rotation option in windows). I updated windows but nothing changed :-\

update 2: I went back to a previous windows update and automatic rotation came back (I can find also the option to lock it)
    Last edited by maxghi; 10-31-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    Have any of you had any issues with keys getting unresponsive/stuck on your keyboard? I'm not talking about the whole keyboard - more like random individual keys, mostly in the middle of the keyboard, just above the "space" key.
    - The only solution to get them working again is to beat the crap out of the failing key/keys - until the next time.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    234 times
    Maybe just unwanted material in the key board.
    Blow it out with canned air or a vacuum.
    Last resort disassemble and clean.

Other wise just defective or worn out.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Dock was mine now my wife's
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    So... I uninstalled something.

Not sure what it was, I do know that the icon I selected by accident looked like a little green gift box.
    And, now my Fn keys for enabling/disabling the touch-pad do not work any more (Fn + F9).
    I've tried the touch-pad drivers, but uninstalling/reinstalling them did not resolve the issue.

The touch-pad itself still works fine, and all my other Fn keys seem to work fine. But, I cannot disable the touch-pad via Fn + F9 any more.

I put in a ticket with Asus and they're pretty sure I need to reset Windows 10 and possibly send the tablet in for repair. This seems a bit over kill for just needing to reinstall something.

Would anyone happen to know what I stupidly uninstalled and now seem unable to find to reinstall? >.<

Sorry for the headache, thanks in advance for any help.

-Chet

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetManley View Post
    The touch-pad itself still works fine, and all my other Fn keys seem to work fine. But, I cannot disable the touch-pad via Fn + F9 any more.
    -Chet
    That's not Touchpad software, that's ASUS ATK/Keyboard HID Filter.

If Asus gives you a new TF, uninstall Giftbox, and Live update before you go Online.
    Then Uninstall Intel's Security Assist.
    It's for Enterprise environment... Consumers don't need it, and just bogs down Windows 10 even more.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links