Thread: T100ha!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gosa View Post
    Please accept my apologies for bumping this, I'm usually not in the habit of bumping...

Am I really the only one suffering from sleep shutting down the computer after "x" amount of hours?
    In my short experience with this computer I didn't have your problem. Computer goes to sleep automatically after some minutes, it can stay in that state all night long and then keep on from where it was. I don't know it goes to sleep correctly though, because it appears very quick to wake up from that status (seems like it only turns of its display).

Quote Originally Posted by leighelse View Post
    I join you in frustration with Windows' update mechanism. My T1100HA is the only Windows computer we have - everything else is Linux. All the Linux distros update elegantly: they tell you when there's an update and, when you decide to proceed, it's a seamless background process during which you can keep working (there's never a need to reboot, even for kernel updates). I can't understand how a multi-billion dollar software company like Microsoft, after more than twenty years development, can deliver something so inconvenient and fundamentally broken as Windows Update.
    I agree. I come from Linux and my last Windows was Vista (used very few times), I find difficult to use Windows and I think this updating strategy is limiting users choices. Also I have no idea of what Windows is actually doing in background with my internet connection. Sometimes I would like to use my smartphone as wifi router but I fear it would consume too much data of my plan.
    I am hoping there will be some fully supported linux distro that can run from usb, I am curious to check if there would be difference in performance.
    Last edited by maxghi; 10-10-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    I may have encountered similar behaviour on one occasion since the most recent major update. It's difficult to know for sure as there's been no repeat of it as yet. I leave the unit to sleep overnight, and usually it awakens without issue. I'll keep an eye on it and post if I have anything I can contribute.

All the Linux distros update elegantly: they tell you when there's an update and, when you decide to proceed, it's a seamless background process during which you can keep working (there's never a need to reboot, even for kernel updates). I can't understand how a multi-billion dollar software company like Microsoft, after more than twenty years development, can deliver something so inconvenient and fundamentally broken as Windows Update.
    - Amen!

And the time it takes... I've learned this thing with setting everything to metered connection to avoid getting updates with no options whatsoever about when to apply them, but then about a month ago I turned it back to normal thinking that "now is a good time for me to check what's new". I forgot about it for some time and then one day when I decided to reboot (don't do that very often) I got hit with "restart to apply updates". I restarted, it started it's thing and I was out of a computer for that day. Came back the day after and and it needed some more "system is updating, don't turn off..." and then that short session was also gone before it even started. Two days later I finally had my computer back.

Fair enough - someone who is a more frequent user than me might have gone through it all in a couple of hours, but I bought this one to be a sofa/travel companion and cant afford the time it takes every time an update needs applying.

The day Ubuntu/Mint/Debian catches up (if ever) and I can install from scratch without tinkering too much Windows 10 is out for good (I'm following the thread about alternate OS's but neither is Arch for me nor am I equipped with time and know-how to battle an install as it is for the moment). And I certainly won't buy another laptop/computer in the future without checking Linux compatibility first.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    I may have encountered similar behaviour on one occasion since the most recent major update. It's difficult to know for sure as there's been no repeat of it as yet. I leave the unit to sleep overnight, and usually it awakens without issue. I'll keep an eye on it and post if I have anything I can contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxghi View Post
    In my short experience with this computer I didn't have your problem. Computer goes to sleep automatically after some minutes, it can stay in that state all night long and then keep on from where it was. I don't know it goes to sleep correctly though, because it appears very quick to wake up from that status (seems like it only turns of its display).
    Thanks for your feedback.

I think it might have been solved by yet another update that was applied yesterday as this morning I could actually get it out of sleep without problem. I'll be testing a bit for a couple of days to see if it stays "solved".

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought a USB-C extension cable and used that between my T100HA and the USB dock. That approach should work with any USB-C device, although the cable may be inconvenient if you expect the hub to be portable.

I have the cable on my desk, connecting to a powered USB hub which has a keyboard, wireless mouse dongle and DAC attached, plus a five metre cable to an unpowered USB hub which connects to a printer, MIDI interface and multitrack audio recorder. Here's the device in its workday location, with a 1920x1200 monitor, mouse and keyboard attached.

Attachment 8970
    Hello leighelse,

sorry for quoting an old post of yours but I like your configuration and I would achieve something similar in the future.

Can you tell me which powered hub are you using and if your monitor is plugged to a microhdmi to hdmi cable or something different ?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by maxghi; 10-13-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    Hello leighelse,
    Can you tell me which powered hub are you using and if your monitor is plugged to a microhdmi to hdmi cable or something different ?
    I'm using a no-brand powered USB 2.0 hub; it's one I already had and, although it's not USB 3.0, it's quite fast enough for the peripherals I'm using (all data access is via wifi in any case). And yes, I connect to the monitor with a standard micro-HDMI to HDMI cable.

Best wishes,

::Leigh
    Last edited by leighelse; 10-14-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
    French T100HA in grey, 4GB/128GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm using a no-brand powered USB 2.0 hub; it's one I already had and, although it's not USB 3.0, it's quite fast enough for the peripherals I'm using (all data access is via wifi in any case). And yes, I connect to the monitor with a standard micro-HDMI to HDMI cable.

Best wishes,

::Leigh
    Ok, thank you

I will look for a monitor with hdmi connection then.

Regards,
    Max

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    I join you in frustration with Windows' update mechanism. My T1100HA is the only Windows computer we have - everything else is Linux. All the Linux distros update elegantly: they tell you when there's an update and, when you decide to proceed, it's a seamless background process during which you can keep working (there's never a need to reboot, even for kernel updates). I can't understand how a multi-billion dollar software company like Microsoft, after more than twenty years development, can deliver something so inconvenient and fundamentally broken as Windows Update.
    I've had loads of Ubuntu updates that require a reboot, the OS upgrades certainly do. My Android devices also need a reboot for updates. I don't see anything different or broken about Windows update.

Whilst you can update Ubuntu when you choose, in practice a broken update is still a broken update, and not something you'll know about in advance to avoid. I upgraded Ubuntu once to find (after the required reboot) it would fail to boot. Required lots of frustration editing graphics card config files to sort it out.

And although in theory once could never update Linux if it works, in practice (for Ubuntu at least), you still need to update often. Ubuntu's support periods are typically far shorter than Windows, furthermore because OS updates are free, there's an expectation that everyone is using the latest updates, so software updates often aren't backported to older versions. So I found in practice I was having to upgrade Ubuntu editions far more often than I had to with Windows.

I agree. I come from Linux and my last Windows was Vista (used very few times), I find difficult to use Windows and I think this updating strategy is limiting users choices. Also I have no idea of what Windows is actually doing in background with my internet connection. Sometimes I would like to use my smartphone as wifi router but I fear it would consume too much data of my plan.
    I am hoping there will be some fully supported linux distro that can run from usb, I am curious to check if there would be difference in performance.
    Set it as a metered connection. Indeed, Windows 8/10 is far better in this regard - whilst older versions didn't have required auto-updates, they also didn't have the ability to specify connections as metered, so there was far more risk of your Internet connection being used up.

Smartphones are no different, they'll gobble up more data if they detect they're on wifi (Android thankfully also now has the ability to mark a connection as metered, which is useful for say Android tablets using another device's connection).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwh View Post
    Set it as a metered connection. Indeed, Windows 8/10 is far better in this regard - whilst older versions didn't have required auto-updates, they also didn't have the ability to specify connections as metered, so there was far more risk of your Internet connection being used up.

Smartphones are no different, they'll gobble up more data if they detect they're on wifi (Android thankfully also now has the ability to mark a connection as metered, which is useful for say Android tablets using another device's connection).
    I followed your advice and set it as metered, thank you.
    By the way, I had to log in as administrator user (I use different accounts) because from my standard user the option was greyed.
    From what I understand, I should set metered option for each wifi hotspot that I want to use in case I don't want extra data to be downloaded through that connection.
    I suppose that such metered option is not applicable to usb connections.
    In android I have a sort of firewall (Opera Max) and I can decide which apps can access data, maybe I could look for something similar for Windows.
    I find Linux (mainly I use Debian, Ubuntu and derivates and occasionally PcLinux, for other distros I don't know...) to be easier: I always have to give my confirmation before it starts downloading updates.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times

I am by no means a Windows Fan.. I am a Senior Linux Admin.. I would however like to point out, when you update a kernel on Linux you *do* need to reboot to run the updated kernel.. Unless you're running something enterprise level and using something like kexec to reload the kernel in memory, keeping devices up without rebooting. I'm guessing you're not doing that at the desktop level. You can test this by updating your kernel and then doing a uname -a (it will still be your old kernel). You are correct though, most packages with the excpetion of SystemD, the kernel and few others do not require a reboot.

Linux is seemingly better at that than Windows. Windows and others (yes other OS's) have been late to the game on a lot of stuff however because they haven't been challenged and it comes down to risk reward. Why take the risk of development hours into something people have already grown accustom to and the majority of people don't know any different, so there's no real reward. Of course we know different and expect more, but a lot of people just don't care. So they get the mediocrity they deserve.

And Yes I run Linux on the T100HA, it's really the only device in all my years of doing Linux I had to edit an ACPI table for (do a search for T100HA DSDT), but it's worth it to not have to deal with Windows on it. I have to admit the minimal complexity of the learning curve of getting Linux to run on this device brings me back to a fun and more challenging time I used to have with Linux. Actually, the challenge (or rather puzzle) is what brought me to Linux and because of that interest it now pays my bills.
    Last edited by JMiahMan; 10-21-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Swipe likes this.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    248 times
    On the other hand - depending on distributions - for Debian-based ones, for example, an apt-get upgrade will almost never actually upgrade the kernel. That is something that has happened only for extremely rare libc/kernel incompatibility issues, where the upgrade will tell you that until you upgrade the kernel the libc will not be upgraded. Has happened twice the last decade IIRC. It could possibly update some loadable drivers though, although that's also incredibly rare, and if it does, no reboot is needed.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links