Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leighelse View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance on this.

The T100HA charges through a micro-USB port which enables fast charging. Is there any way to use this port for data at the same time? Is there some kind of adaptor that will allow me to connect peripheral to the same port while the laptop's charging?

When I put the laptop on my desk I connect an external monitor to the HDMI port, the charger to the micro-USB port, and an unpowered USB hub to the USB-C port. If I could reduce that to two connections it would be slightly simpler. Lazy, I know.
    I believe that power and data was proven to not really be possible via the charging port on the T100 (unlike some Dell devices).

An alternative idea might be something like this, so that you only use power, and USB (and eliminate the HDMI cable at the tablet) if you want to have a full setup on your desk:

The only pity is that the older T100 models had a full size USB 3 port on the keyboard dock (as shown in this video), which maybe made it just slightly nicer again if you just wanted to remove the tablet portion and move to the sofa or something, because you only needed to disconnect the power cable.

But in any case maybe a docking station like this can be useful because it gives you display, audio, usb hub, ethernet, etc, all via one powered hub. Pluggable makes 2 models, single monitor, and dual monitor, but I don't have any experience with Pluggable personally (although I did use a similar Toshiba product years ago and I was very happy).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jmh2002; 02-03-2016 at 02:04 AM.
    gosa likes this.
    on order: 2 x Asus Transformer T100TAM-DK002B 64GB eMMC 2GB RAM - now on hold, thinking about new T100HA models with 4GB of RAM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    There seems to be a USB2 version of these as well which should mean it can be connected to the USB port in the keyboard... Products | Plugable
    - Interesting!
    Last edited by gosa; 02-03-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Asus has a USB 3.0 docking station:

http://asus.com/ca-en/Docks/USB30_HZ1_DOCKINGSTATION/

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gosa View Post
    There seems to be a USB2 version of these as well which should mean it can be connected to the USB port in the keyboard... Products | Plugable
    - Interesting!
    Yes well spotted, but the USB 2 versions don't have the same performance capabilities (my old Toshiba Display Link was USB 2).

USB 2 models:
    Plugable Universal USB 2.0 Single Display Docking Station | Plugable
    Plugable Pro8 Docking Station for Tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro | Plugable (note: this model is NOT compatiable with the T100)

from the Pro 8 page:

"USB-graphics devices like the UD-PRO8, are “virtual” devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, GPU, and RAM of the host device (i.e.; the connected tablet or PC). Once the graphics have been rendered on the host system, they are compressed and sent over USB to the attached display. As a result, the graphical performance of the attached display is heavily dependent on the system specifications, available system resources, and USB bandwidth.

For most tablet and laptop users, web and productivity software will run well on the display attached through the dock. Due to the bandwidth available via USB 2.0, graphically intensive applications (such as HD video) are not recommended as the results may be unsatisfactory
    ."

So, better to stick the USB 3 versions now I think.
    Last edited by jmh2002; 02-03-2016 at 03:39 AM.
    on order: 2 x Asus Transformer T100TAM-DK002B 64GB eMMC 2GB RAM - now on hold, thinking about new T100HA models with 4GB of RAM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Asus has a USB 3.0 docking station:

http://asus.com/ca-en/Docks/USB30_HZ1_DOCKINGSTATION/
    Yes thanks! In general there are quite a few of these type of docking stations available, and now with USB 3 they actually seem to work properly.

I posted the Pluggable one only because of the nice video with T100 content
    Last edited by jmh2002; 02-03-2016 at 03:40 AM.
    Swipe likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
    Yes well spotted, but the USB 2 versions don't have the same performance capabilities (my old Toshiba Display Link was USB 2).

USB 2 models:
    Plugable Universal USB 2.0 Single Display Docking Station | Plugable
    Plugable Pro8 Docking Station for Tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro | Plugable (note: this model is NOT compatiable with the T100)

from the Pro 8 page:

"USB-graphics devices like the UD-PRO8, are “virtual” devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, GPU, and RAM of the host device (i.e.; the connected tablet or PC). Once the graphics have been rendered on the host system, they are compressed and sent over USB to the attached display. As a result, the graphical performance of the attached display is heavily dependent on the system specifications, available system resources, and USB bandwidth.

For most tablet and laptop users, web and productivity software will run well on the display attached through the dock. Due to the bandwidth available via USB 2.0, graphically intensive applications (such as HD video) are not recommended as the results may be unsatisfactory
    ."

So, better to stick the USB 3 versions now I think.
    That is a valid point indeed, but since the USB-port in the keyboard in the T100HA is only USB2 we have to get some kind of an adapter and use the type c port on the tablet itself. That might still be more interesting than connecting three different ports, but I'm already hesitant about having cables "hanging" from the tablet. It just feels wrong to have something poking out at that angle. Also - I kind of like the way the guy in the video just disconnected/reconnected everything by just lifting it out/putting it back in.

On the other hand... something like this but with a type c connector might just do it (assuming that the port supports it)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    3 times
    In principle I agree, I was disappointed when they moved the USB 3 port for this exact reason - using a docking station.

Having said that, yes I have always had in mind to use right angle adapters for both the power and usb cables so that cables hang down parallel with the screen, even just to make them less likely to catch on something and damage the port.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
    just to make them less likely to catch on something and damage the port.
    - This is - after a cracked screen - my biggest fear...

If you happen to find an angled adapter with a type c connector, please share!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times
    A USB-C port replicator sounds like a great idea.

My Vaio has a docking station with a built-in 500GB drive and a full range of ports ... and it charges the laptop. It's brilliant: slot the laptop in and everything's connected, plus I have automated backups to the docking station drive.

Looking at the prices for available USB-C port replicators, however, it's a lot to pay for reducing the number of connections from three to two. If it were possible to charge the T100HA through the USB-C port I'd be more inclined to make the investment. One connection to rule them all!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Here is a USB C docking station from the same site. It's able to simultaneously charge the system, but so far our HA hasn't been able to do that, right?

Plugable Ultimate Docking Station for USB-C Systems | Plugable

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links