Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Out of Disk Space - How can I get that back?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Out of Disk Space - How can I get that back?

All,

My daughter has a T100T-A-B1-GR model ASUS Transformer and it is a great device. It has 2.0GB of RAM and 28.2 GB of usable space... The problem is there is no space left on the drive. After I searched the device I found the following:

1) 10.2 MB of pictures
    2) 40 MB of songs
    3) 380 MB for Open office
    4) MusSoft (for her school work) is less than 20MB

So there should be PLENTY of space for this system to work, but there is 0 bytes left. When I run Disk Cleanup I get nothing but 128K of thumbnails and 122K of offline websites. Nothing else. There is over 5GB of space in the WINSxS folder but it will not show up in the Disk Cleanup->Show System files section at all.

I need to clear out some space on this system and I cannot even start to figure out where to start. I have been in IT for over 25 years and I am so thankful I moved to Linux over Windows for my OS of choice because these headaches don't exist. Is there a means to get this system clear of the wasted space so she can use this device again... it is only a year and a half old and she needs this for school.

Thanks in advance.

Texman

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum Texman

In the control panel, folder oprions - view, check show hidden files. Go to \users\youruser\appdata\local\temp and delete everything that you can and do the same for \windows\temp

When doing the disk cleanup be certain the tap the second cleanup that appears lower left in that window.

Then in an elevated command prompt type chkdsk /r and restart after all the cleanup has finished.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texmansru47 View Post
    All,

My daughter has a T100T-A-B1-GR model ASUS Transformer and it is a great device. It has 2.0GB of RAM and 28.2 GB of usable space... The problem is there is no space left on the drive. After I searched the device I found the following:

1) 10.2 MB of pictures
    2) 40 MB of songs
    3) 380 MB for Open office
    4) MusSoft (for her school work) is less than 20MB

So there should be PLENTY of space for this system to work, but there is 0 bytes left. When I run Disk Cleanup I get nothing but 128K of thumbnails and 122K of offline websites. Nothing else. There is over 5GB of space in the WINSxS folder but it will not show up in the Disk Cleanup->Show System files section at all.

I need to clear out some space on this system and I cannot even start to figure out where to start. I have been in IT for over 25 years and I am so thankful I moved to Linux over Windows for my OS of choice because these headaches don't exist. Is there a means to get this system clear of the wasted space so she can use this device again... it is only a year and a half old and she needs this for school.

Thanks in advance.

Texman
    Buy a 64Gb mSD card, they are rather cheap nowadays, otherwise you'll have recurring problems with space, especially with a teenager using it.
    HowieDoin2 likes this.
    Poul

T100TA DK024H - Z3775 - 64Gb
    PNY 128Gb mSD
    BIOS 307 - Win10 Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Angry

Thanks for the input but this did not work. The user account I have setup on here is in the ADMINISTRATORS group but refused me to erase anything from WINDOWS/TEMP. On the user temp I freed up 40mb, but yet (again), it shows I have no available space. There is something not right with this since I have never experienced this on a windows device before - cannot access things even though you are an admin, freed up space does not free up. To me that is pure crap and I have to look at the device for having something screwy going on. I cannot change anything even though the account is in the administrators group... damn this is weird. If there is any thing else that can be done I would love to see it since I am struggling with this 300.00 waste of money.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    17 times
    Here's a couple things you can check. Not guaranteed to be the problem, but it can't hurt to look:

Virtual Memory Settings - which you will find if you right-click on the Start button, go to System, then to Advanced System Settings. Under "Performance" press the "Settings" button. Under the "Advanced" tab, tell us what the Virtual Memory file size is.

Superfetch - I would shut this off in services if it's not off already. It's a memory hog and it takes up space on the system so that it can call programs quickly. If you need to know how to do it, let us know. All it will cost you is that programs will take an additional second or two to load versus starting semi-instantly. I almost never notice the difference in speed, but I do notice the difference in memory and hard drive space once it starts storing things it needs for quick booting programs.

Windows Update Files - Sometimes when Windows 8 does an update, it will leave the files sitting around. These are usually hidden and not always easy to remove. We might be able to figure something out if this is the case.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texmansru47 View Post
    Thanks for the input but this did not work. The user account I have setup on here is in the ADMINISTRATORS group but refused me to erase anything from WINDOWS/TEMP. On the user temp I freed up 40mb, but yet (again), it shows I have no available space. There is something not right with this since I have never experienced this on a windows device before - cannot access things even though you are an admin, freed up space does not free up. To me that is pure crap and I have to look at the device for having something screwy going on. I cannot change anything even though the account is in the administrators group... damn this is weird. If there is any thing else that can be done I would love to see it since I am struggling with this 300.00 waste of money.
    IMHO when there's that much going on, and it's that difficult to fix, then there's only one solution left. Time to make sure you got all your essential data backed up and perform a system restore.

It sounds like there is a virus that has taken over the PC. Kill it with a system restore, and get your free space back as well.

Here's a guide on the multiple ways to access and perform a restore:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-31-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    These headaches exist on any OS in my opinion, Linux included - Linux typically requires less space, but running it on too small a disk will still mean you have to deal with tidying. The real fault is Asus not making the 64GB version more widely available

If you don't already have a microSD card, put one in and move/install as much as possible there.

Install and run CCleaner - it tends to do a better job than the standard Windows cleanup.

How to Reduce the Size of Your WinSXS Folder on Windows 7 or 8 has some things to try to reclaim space from Windows updates.

Also see http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ows-8-1-a.html .

Currently I have around 4GB free, even though I have several GBs of Visual Studio installed. My main worry is disk space creep (for a while I had 7GB free, then that went down to 3GB - this weekend after installing a load of updates it went to under 1GB - after following the above advice and uninstalling things I no longer needed, I've got it back to 4GB).
    fiat_lux and leeshor like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    The hyberfil.sys and, as mentioned, pagefil.sys are the main large files. Windows/Office updates store something but I haven't looked into it. I also have less than 500 mb of installed software on a 32 gb eMMc. I can't seem to get rid of the hyberfile.sys file although I've tried and I also have less and less free space with Windows Updates. Cleaning has been giving very small returns. I'm down to around 2 gb free and I'm just going to wait to install Windows 10 to see if it will be usable again. I'm also thinking about getting rid of the "monthly malicious tool and updates" as I think my malwarebytes and av probably do as good a job.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-01-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I recently found a program, (it's only version 1.0), that finds obsolete update files in the winsxs folder and offers to either delete them or for safety move them. I moved 3.2 GB of files and waiting to see if there are any bad things about to happen.

So far, so good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links