Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tstivers
  • 1 Post By Rednroll

Thread: Got my T100TA today! With a surprise!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times

Got my T100TA today! With a surprise!

I purchased a T100TA from this Amazon listing a few days ago:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-T100-10-I.../dp/B00FFJ0HUE

I did not purchase the main listing though. I went under the used options, and purchased one from Ocean Reef Electronics. The tablet I received was in good condition. No scratches on the screen or elsewhere, except the top right corner of the tablet is flattened a little, as though it was dropped on the corner. Not a big deal to me. If you look at the model number on that page, it shows (T100TA-C1-GR) with no (S). When I received my tablet I noticed on the keyboard the model was T100TA-C1-GR(S). I checked the tablet as well and it has a Z3775 in it, so the tablet is indeed the (S) model. I'm not sure if the seller has all (S) models for that listing, or if I just happened to get lucky and it's a mixed bag, or what the case is. But if someone's in the market and looking for a cheap used transformer book, this might be worth a try. I was pretty stoked when I noticed this, as for the price I paid, this particular model is a complete steal.

This isn't intended to be a deals post though, but more of a hello. So I just got done downloading Windows 10 Tech Preview and I'm going to be installing it shortly. I'm loving this tablet so far. I recently had my $1500 gaming pc stolen from me, and I'm broke as can be. I got a $110 check for some Android apps I developed a year or so ago and had $35 saved up from Mechanical Turk. So I had ~$140 to buy a new device to work from. A desktop wasn't an option as I don't have somewhere to set it up and I plan on being on the road a lot soon (driving a semi) so needed something portable. I checked laptops out but they were all out of my price range for anything decent. Then I saw the $99 HP Stream 7. Then I came across 2-in-1's. And after some deal hunting I found the T100. Best $140 I've spent on electronics in a long time. I plan on using the tablet mainly for Mechanical Turk HITs, some light Windows Metro/Phone/Mobile development, and some Android development.
    eejit likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    tstivers... welcome to our forums and here's wishing you a great experience with the T100. With a bit of diligence, they are a great device.

I'm going on 20 months with mine and I rarely use my AMD 8 core 23" non touch desktop any more.

Lots of good info in these forums... you just have to search around.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    That's a pretty good deal. And that's the 64GB model as well?

Too bad you didn't post this about a week earlier. I was at MicroCenter last week and they had a 10.1in TW100 WinBook open box item I purchased for $89. I purchased a matching open box docking keyboard case for an additional $40 for a total of $129. This WinBook tab is pretty equivalent to the T100 32GB model. I really didn't need another tablet, but I found this WinBook to be a great value I couldn't pass up and found a good use for it. My 3 year old son no longer let's me watch what I want on TV, so I use it to stream Netflix and Hulu while he watches cartoons on the big screen.

There are some trade offs between the Asus T100 and the WinBook tabs. I like the T100 because it has dual band wifi, and I like the WinBook because it has a full size USB 3.0 port on the tablet which is convenient when using it without the keyboard docked and has a rear camera as well.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    That's a pretty good deal. And that's the 64GB model as well?

Too bad you didn't post this about a week earlier. I was at MicroCenter last week and they had a 10.1in TW100 WinBook open box item I purchased for $89. I purchased a matching open box docking keyboard case for an additional $40 for a total of $129. This WinBook tab is pretty equivalent to the T100 32GB model. I really didn't need another tablet, but I found this WinBook to be a great value I couldn't pass up and found a good use for it. My 3 year old son no longer let's me watch what I want on TV, so I use it to stream Netflix and Hulu while he watches cartoons on the big screen.

There are some trade offs between the Asus T100 and the WinBook tabs. I like the T100 because it has dual band wifi, and I like the WinBook because it has a full size USB 3.0 port on the tablet which is convenient when using it without the keyboard docked and has a rear camera as well.
    Yes its the 64GB model. I did some research before buying, and I wouldn't have bought a 32GB tablet as this is intended to be my main computer at least temporarily. It is used, that's why it's so cheap. But mine is in near perfect condition. I can't find a single scratch on the screen (gorilla glass for the win).

Windows 10 wasn't a very good experience. I had issues with the GUI being glitchy right from the beginning. Tiles vanished and wouldn't come back even with a reboot, the window manager was very glitchy as well. So I'm back on 8.1 now. Have to wait till Windows 10 is more polished I guess. I did like it quite a bit however.

So far only issues I've had with this T100 is when typing my thumb wants to play with the touchpad. And I have the Hynix eMMC I guess, which I've heard isn't a good thing (though I can't figure out why).

I'm not much of a camera person so the face cam is enough for me. I could even do without that honestly. I'll always have the dock with me. I'm treating it more like a laptop than a tablet. So the usb on the dock is fine with me. Actually in tablet mode I don't think I'll want a bunch of peripherals hanging off the tablet, so in a way it's better for me. I'm sure eventually I'll say "damn, I wish I didn't have to hook the dock up to do this."

On a side note can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a flat spot on the top right corner of the tablet? I can't tell if it's built like that, or mine was dropped on the top right corner. I'd think a drop that hard would have shattered the screen. But it could have been refurbished for all I know so.
    Last edited by tstivers; 05-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tstivers View Post
    I'm not much of a camera person so the face cam is enough for me. I could even do without that honestly. I'll always have the dock with me. I'm treating it more like a laptop than a tablet. So the usb on the dock is fine with me. Actually in tablet mode I don't think I'll want a bunch of peripherals hanging off the tablet, so in a way it's better for me. I'm sure eventually I'll say "damn, I wish I didn't have to hook the dock up to do this."

On a side note can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a flat spot on the top right corner of the tablet? I can't tell if it's built like that, or mine was dropped on the top right corner. I'd think a drop that hard would have shattered the screen. But it could have been refurbished for all I know so.
    I've had my T100 going on 18 months now. I'm very happy with it. I'm not much for camera's on tablets either, but after owning the T100 I have run into a few instances where I wish I had one. The main one being is that some apps are designed to work with a rear camera, where you need to look at the front screen while aiming the camera at some object and trying to use the front camera is just not practical. It makes quite a few apps unusable not having a rear camera.

Dangling peripherals off the tablet for a full size usb connection is not really the use case, in fact it's the exact opposite. It's more so, that USB sticks and USB HDDs are pretty handy to just plug in to copy items to/from the T100. Having to connect the keyboard or connect an additional OTG micro to full size USB adapter when you're just using the tablet portion is the inconvenience factor. When the majority of USB sticks and USB HDDs are made with a different connector, then I may think differently but today that's still the case. After you've used the T100 for awhile, you'll run into those instances where you'ld wish it was an available option. I often use my T100 in an office environment and take it to meetings for note taking, and accessing email. Often USB sticks are passed around in the meeting to distribute documents to/from each other upon request. Nobody caries around a USB stick which has a micro USB connector on it, which means I either have to carry around my keyboard dock or a USB OTG adapter. I'm kind of disappointed the newer T100/T300 Chi series also don't have a full size USB port option on the tablet.

Your T100 is not supposed to have a flat spot in the upper right corner, that sounds like damage.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-23-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Often USB sticks are passed around in the meeting to distribute documents to/from each other upon request.
    USB sticks for sharing files... how quaint... LOL

With easily sharable networked (cloud) file storage or the old -quant- method of emailing attachments, sharing files via a USB stick is totally unnecessary.

IMHO
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    USB sticks for sharing files... how quaint... LOL

With easily sharable networked (cloud) file storage or the old -quant- method of emailing attachments, sharing files via a USB stick is totally unnecessary.

IMHO
    I'm well aware there are many ways to do the same tasks. Email is typically not a viable option, because presentations can often be 100MB in size and 10MB is a typical work inbox size limit. Often is the case someone is a visitor from out of town and may not have access to the local wifi network or we're in a meeting room were wifi sometimes can be unreliable. Then there's always alternatives like drop-box, etc where not everyone uses a particular cloud service, or is familiar how to use it.

Pretty much any work around you can mention, I've tried it and ran into problems on one side or the other and it becomes just that, a "work around".

The point is, USB sticks are currently pretty much a standardized format that most EVERYONE uses, and has access to, so it tends to be the one most commonly used. If you don't work in that type of environment, then I don't expect understanding of the usual situations.

Put it this way as a typically scenario. When an executive from Toyota, Chrysler, GM, etc asks me for a copy of my presentation which could lead to future joint business ventures that are worth well over $100 million and hands me a USB stick from his key chain in the last 5 minutes of a meeting while everyone is packing up and rushing to move on to their next meeting, or catch their flight back out of town, the last thing you want to think about working through are complicated networking solutions or asking yourself, "now which pocket did I throw that OTG adapter into?".

Essentially, the USB method got the presentation in the executives hands so they can review it during his/her flight back to the office. The other methods, they're either still in the uploading, or down loading stages and you've likely missed your opportunity of getting that presentation in the executive's hands so they can review it in more detail during their flight while you still have their interest and attention.

You also need to ask yourself, what is an affordable media that can be physically distributed in a meeting to multiple people where the majority of the other people in the room will have the least troubles in accessing that media? Is it an SD card, a micro SD card, a CD-R, a DVD-R, or some other media format? Hopefully, common sense will tell you that a USB stick makes the most sense at this point in time. That will likely change, because that's one of the intents of NFC but we're just not there yet.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Swipe likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I stand humbly enlightened.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    Not everyone is a business executive though. Doing transcription hits and software development doesn't really call for a thumb drive, and in my case odds are, if I need the usb port, I need the keyboard too.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    I'm certain that not everyone needs a standard size USB connection and I'm sure if anyone wants to spend enough time, they could justify not having one, even if it is the most common PC interface connection currently available and therefore adds a convenience factor that is currently not there like I originally stated. I'm sure we could even try to ignore the fact that every smart phone on the planet, that one side of their charge/sync cable there is typically a full size usb connector on it. No worries, I'm sure everyone including non executives carry around a charge/sync cable AND an additional OTG adapter if they want to sync their smart phone with their tablet.

As you use the T100 more and more in tablet only operation, things like this become a constant reminder of how much of a convenience of having a full size usb connector available becomes.

I'll just ask, would you rather have one available or not available? I see no benefit in having one that is not available, where I can list many instances where having one available would be a welcome addition.

Personally, I'm finding myself using my WinBook TW100 more and more as a mobile PC device over my T100 because I'm realizing I'm not having to additionally carry around my bag of adapters so often.

Quote Originally Posted by tstivers View Post
    Not everyone is a business executive though. Doing transcription hits and software development doesn't really call for a thumb drive
    I would say it depends on what kind of software development you're doing, because the 100+ SW developers I work with, would tend to disagree since the majority of their SW development debugging interface tools come with a standard size USB connector on it, such as their USB>Serial, USB>Ethernet, USB>CAN bus adapters. They also, often have to copy their SW from their PC to a USB stick because the device it needs to be installed on, only has a standard size USB connector on it. If your SW resides only within the PC you're using then that may be an exception, but is not typically the norm. In fact having a full size USB connector is something I often use in a SW development process because I often may have to go out to a vehicle and telnet into another device to collect communication data and being able to lighten my load of just having to use a tablet is great. Otherwise, I would just grab my laptop. Heck, just having the ability to charge the tablet while still having a USB port available and not having to connect the keyboard for that ability is an added benefit.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-27-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links