Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

t100 SSD pros and cons?

Hi,

Yes, my first post. I have thoroughly searched and I have only found some info but not quite what I am looking for. Has anyone gotten good performance switching out the dock HDD with an SSD?

I put a Samsung evo 128 gig in mine and also removed the metal plate, shaving 2 ounces off on the HDD and 4.8 on the metal plate. The drive was picked up no problem, but it's really not any faster (or I was not able to optimize it). With the removed weight, the machine is certainly a lot lighter, however the screen goes top heavy and will flop over if pushed too far. Not sure if I liked it or not, so I put it back to stock, but I am again thinking of losing the weight and dropping the ssd back in to see how I like it.

Anyone done any good testing on ssd performance on a usb connection such as the t100. I guess I just figure over a couple ounces under usb it's probably really not going to move that much faster. I have a bunch of ssd at my disposal so the cost isn't really an issue, but I don't want to completely waste the potential.

Discuss?

I have the 64gb model and I already roll with a 64GB micro...

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    The HDD in the dock is connected over USB 3.0, not SATA, so you won't achieve the full speed of the SSD.
    But it should theoretically still be faster than a mechanical hard drive depending on the controller the dock is using.

Any cheap SATA3 SSD won't go to its limit in the dock so a 840 Evo would already be a waste of money if you plan to use it in the dock only.

I'm planning to upgrade mine to an SSD as well, probably a Crucial CT250BX100 or CT256MX100

actually, can you please benchmark the SSD in the dock with CrystalMark or AS SSD Benchmark and post the results here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by nex86; 03-30-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Interesting thread!
    I'm planning to do the hdd to ssd replacement when I find a good price for a 256/240 GB one.
    I'm waiting for the benchmark report!
    ASUS Transformer Book (T100TA-DK005H, Intel Atom BayTrail-T Z3740, 32GB eMMC + 250GB SSD (keyboard mod 500GB), BIOS 313) - Windows 10 Core
    MOUNTAIN Graphite 40 Pro (Core i7 4810-MQ, 16GB DDR3, GTX870M 6GB DDR5, 480GB SSD + 750GB, 17,3" Full HD) - Windows 10 Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Benchmark Results

I guess I am the one to test the actual results. I tested the Emmc (64G), a MicroSD (64g setup for direct/non-removable), the stock Hitachi spinner (512g), then the Samsung EVO 850 (120G) and the Crucial BX100 (250G).

The stock components (emmc and hitachi) were really pathetic. The MicroSD was expected to be pathetic, and did not disappoint. The Samsung and the Crucial were significant improvements, even though not even coming close to the possible speed if mounted as SATA. I am now quite convinced to use the Samsung as I have more pressing storage needs elsewhere for the Crucial. The Crucial slightly outperformed for this application, which is interesting considering it is probably the cheapest SSD on the market v. the higher end Samsung. For the T100, I would agree get the cheapest SSD you can find and be happy with 2.5x speed improvement.

Pics are named as per each test but I don't think it will show up. 231.9=Crucial. 71.39=Emmc. 86.91=Hitachi. 23.79=MicroSD. 223.0=Samsung.

OK have fun kiddies!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    manelfera likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea those speeds are pretty decent for a USB 3.0 connection, of course it could be better with a SATA 3 connection but still, this defenitely makes me getting an SSD for the dock!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    i did end up losing 7.2 ounces off the keyoard, which is seriously noticeale improvement. I removed the metal plate and the keyoard is very much lighter and still perfectly durable and stiff. I just have to mind the screen angle, if I push it just a little too far, it will want to flop over. The screen is fine and viewable and its so much lighter. Really a good mod in terms of performance and weight loss. The numbers made me realize it really is a good mod even if you don't get full SATA speeds.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times

My benchmark results

After seeing your benchmark results I decided to do the replacement, and I want to share my results too. Hope this will help people looking for more comparisons.
    I haven't played too much with the new drive installed because I only had time to do the switch and the test. I will post my impressions after some time with it installed.
    I wanted to test the speed of the SSD Drive connected to the USB 3.0 port before installing it but I forgot. I will do the test with the stock 500GB to see if the speeds vary, not with the SSD because I'm not going to disassemble the keyboard again if all works as expected.

32GB eMMC
    test 1 emmc.png

64GB SD Sandisk Extreme
    test 2 sd.png

500GB HDD Dock Drive
    test 3 hdd 500.png

250GB SSD Crucial MX200 Docked
    test 4 ssd.png

Conclusions
    There seems to be a big improvement with the change. I only tried to run a game that I have installed at the dock and it loaded up in half the time that it did on the stock hdd drive. With this change the tablet goes to a full silent mode, no spinning hdd noises, and a bit less of heating on the keyboard.
    I've read a lot of posts about the SD performance but I couldn't believe it had such a poor performance. I mainly use it to sync my Onedrive files, so they don't eat my very limited C:/ drive space.
    Last edited by manelfera; 04-10-2015 at 01:25 AM.
    ASUS Transformer Book (T100TA-DK005H, Intel Atom BayTrail-T Z3740, 32GB eMMC + 250GB SSD (keyboard mod 500GB), BIOS 313) - Windows 10 Core
    MOUNTAIN Graphite 40 Pro (Core i7 4810-MQ, 16GB DDR3, GTX870M 6GB DDR5, 480GB SSD + 750GB, 17,3" Full HD) - Windows 10 Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAS
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by manelfera
    I've read a lot of posts about the SD performance but I couldn't believe it had such a poor performance. I mainly use it to sync my Onedrive files, so they don't eat my very limited C:/ drive space.
    SD cards are exceptionally slow, even the highest rated cards. My one is an 8GB Class 2 SD card, which should read/write really slow so it's really not useful for anything at all other than storing videos and pictures.

I'll run a test later and post the results.

EDIT: Here's my results:

32GB eMMC (Tablet storage)

500GB HDD Dock

8GB Sandisk Class 2 MicroSDHC

From what I can gather from this, it looks like the SD slot on the T100 isn't all that great, your Sandisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 (I presume), gets the same speed as my Sandisk 8GB MicroSDHC Class 2 card.

That Class 10 Sandisk should be getting at least 60MB/s read speed, not in the 20's.
    Last edited by Jenraux; 04-10-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links