Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times

T100TAM: 32 or 64 bit Windows + other questions

Hello!

I will be buying the T100TAM-DK016B model and seeing that it has 2 GB of RAM and 64-bit Windows 8.1 I'm wondering if it wouldn't run a bit faster using 32-bit version of Windows 8.1? I always install 32-bit version of Windows on a "weaker" computes (not saying that the T100TAM is weak but it has only 2 GB of RAM).

What about the touchpad, does it work accurately? I've had an ASUS X series laptop and the touchpad was terrible, I've had to use mouse to be able to do anything.

Has anyone pluged and used a USB dongle for mobile broadband internet? I wish the T100TAM would have it integrated but it doesn't so I'm planning to get a USB variant, so has anyone used it and does it work nicely?

How is your experience with the battery life? And does the T100TAM play Youtube HD videos without a problem?

Thank you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    PS: I have an additional question. The model I'll be buying has 64 MB memory card and no additional HDD. I guess that means that there is a free HDD compartment in the keyboard part of the T100TAM. Has anyone fitted a SDD in there and was able to install the OS on it insted on the memory card? I'd think that the responisevens and general speed was greater then.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    Welcome Bellzemos...

I will be buying the T100TAM-DK016B model and seeing that it has 2 GB of RAM and 64-bit Windows 8.1 I'm wondering if it wouldn't run a bit faster using 32-bit version of Windows 8.1? I always install 32-bit version of Windows on a "weaker" computes (not saying that the T100TAM is weak but it has only 2 GB of RAM).
    All the T100 models come with 32bit Win8.1 installed.

What about the touchpad, does it work accurately? I've had an ASUS X series laptop and the touchpad was terrible, I've had to use mouse to be able to do anything.
    There are varying degrees of like/dislike for the touchpad. I honestly almost never use it... not because I don't like it but because I use my T100 as a tablet 99% of the time.

Has anyone pluged and used a USB dongle for mobile broadband internet? I wish the T100TAM would have it integrated but it doesn't so I'm planning to get a USB variant, so has anyone used it and does it work nicely?
    Yes some people have done this and reports that it works well. I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a model with built in mobil broadband.

How is your experience with the battery life? And does the T100TAM play Youtube HD videos without a problem?
    See my signature regarding my battery life. Yes it plays youtube videos fine.

PS: I have an additional question. The model I'll be buying has 64 MB memory card and no additional HDD. I guess that means that there is a free HDD compartment in the keyboard part of the T100TAM. Has anyone fitted a SDD in there and was able to install the OS on it insted on the memory card? I'd think that the responisevens and general speed was greater then.
    64GB of memory. No, you can't fit any drive in that keyboard. The keyboards with the HDD are slightly thicker to physically accommodate the drive as well as having the connections and such. I don't believe anyone has successfully mounted a SSD/HDD in a keyboard not designed for it. Note, the TAM model does come with a 500GB keyboard HDD variant if you need that.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a 32 bit TAM so I can answer some of your questions.
    The touchpad is ok, nothing special but not awful. I typically just end up using the touchscreen though as I find it easier.
    You should have no problem playing youtube videos in HD.
    I don't think you can install an HD into the keyboard as it's missing the connectors, you'd have to figure out how it's wired and have all the correct parts which would be difficult.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I thank you both for the info, it's very much appreciated!

The site where I've ordered it from says 64-bit Windows 8.1, maybe it's their typo. I will probably reinstall anyway (esp. if there comes bloatware preinstalled as it did on my Sony VAIO).

My bad, I meant 64 GB, of course. OK, I tought all the keybs/docks were the same and would allow a HDD installation. I'll take the one without that option as I have an ext. HDD and 64 GB is enough I'd say.

I've read that the metallic TAM models are a bit heavier and that the tablet part tends to outweigh the dock and it's prone to falling over when used as a laptop. Do you have experience on the matter?

Again, thank you!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    There's no valid reason to reinstall Windows... as the T100 comes with basically zero "bloatware".

It does have some Windows (Store) Apps and a sprinkling of Asus Apps installed but every one of them can be easily removed. Just be careful with the Asus Apps, some of them are important to keep on your T100 for future use.

Make sure you charge it till the white LED next to the power button comes on, then during commissioning keep it plugged in, then do all the updates. BIOS should be at least 204... likely you'll be out of box at 205, run Asus Live Update and install those updates and then install all Windows updates.
    Caster likes this.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
    Hello!

Thank you!
    Agree with Rick, no reason to actually do a re-install, very minimal bloatware, which you can get rid off easily. The touch-pad get's the job done, not the best nor the worst, but I haven't used it for longer periods, I always use a wireless mouse which works perfect and which I prefer. No problems with Video's or HD and so forth, even Media apps playing full hd. HDD is only available with certain models and a special dock, which drains more battery, not every dock will let you insert a HDD on the T100. Battery life is great, do some searching under T100 battery section to have a more in-depth detail and idea, but I get around 9-10+/- hrs, then again depends sorely on your usage too. I have a friend who has 2 TAM models, never fallen over as per it's weight is concerned on the tablet part. When you do get the tablet, the T100 Master Help Guide should help you get started pretty much easily with details, link in the bottom of my sig. Goodluck & All the best
    Last edited by Caster; 03-05-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    rickscheller likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2 times
    The TAM is slightly heavier than the plastic ones but I don't have any issues with it tipping over in laptop mode.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I think I will reinstall it anyway as I like to set things my own way... Well, I'll see yet. I have just ordered it.

What do you mean by that I will need some Asus Apps in the future? Could you please tell me which ones and why (just in short)?

So, when I get it I should fully charge it first and then leave the charger in while I do the installation?

I know about the Windows updates of course but what are Asus updates? This is the first time I'm hearing for updates that install themself from a brand. I always install drivers manually, is this something new or/and proprietary to Asus?

I will surely check the T100 Master Help Guide. Could you maybe point out the most important issues/things I should be aware of? I will remember never to calibrate the touch screen (I've seen it in the signature). Then there's something about the WiFi driver, anything else important?

Again, thank you all for the info, this seems like a very helpful forum!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
    I think I will reinstall it anyway as I like to set things my own way... Well, I'll see yet. I have just ordered it.

What do you mean by that I will need some Asus Apps in the future? Could you please tell me which ones and why (just in short)?

So, when I get it I should fully charge it first and then leave the charger in while I do the installation?

I know about the Windows updates of course but what are Asus updates? This is the first time I'm hearing for updates that install themself from a brand. I always install drivers manually, is this something new or/and proprietary to Asus?

I will surely check the T100 Master Help Guide. Could you maybe point out the most important issues/things I should be aware of? I will remember never to calibrate the touch screen (I've seen it in the signature). Then there's something about the WiFi driver, anything else important?

Again, thank you all for the info, this seems like a very helpful forum!
    As with any computer, there are so many options and variables and end user experiences and levels of expertise, it's really hard to assist someone like you (no insult intended) who has their path planned out. But unless you're highly technologically proficient, I would highly discourage you from reloading everything right out of the box. The T100 with it's UEFI boot loader and Win8.1 can be bit tricky. As for the TAM model, even the Asus website is currently wrong with some of the downloads. Not saying you will, but I'd really not like to see you back her with issues before you've even got fingerprints all over the screen.

As for Asus apps you'll want to keep around, just off the top of my head there's Winflash, Asus Live Update and Asus Smart Gesture.

Don't worry about my wifi driver in my sig. I'm a very narrow group of T100TA (first T100 model released) owners which requires an older wifi driver to have a stable fast connection.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links