Like Tree11Likes

Thread: T100TAM: 32 or 64 bit Windows + other questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    1 times
    If you have this many questions about a clean OS install, then it seems to me you are not ready to do it.
    Frankly, you will not do much that will be different than a stock tablet as is stated before, not very much excess stuff on the device.
    Chances of bricking it are high.

I remember years ago a friend got a bootleg version of XP that was completely stripped down to the bare bones. I mean completely stripped to the base OS. He had to track down every single driver for everything on his experimental laptop. After he was done it greatly reduced the space used on the HD, it booted up VERY fast but constantly had issues and needed tweaking and searching for missing dll and other files to get things to operate properly. When he was done and had everything working properly and stable it wasnt that much different from his working laptop. Bottom line is he learned a few things on how the OS works but came to the conclusion is it wasn't worth the time, effort, and frustration. He is disabled so has plenty of free time to tinker and it still took him weeks to get it useable.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Huh. OK, I am very grateful for all the input and info you all provided.

Maybe I'd do just the factory reset then. Make it like it was when it came out of the packaga - so that I can pick a user name and language again. Is that possible and how do I do it?

Thank you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    PS: On a side note - when I tried to do a recovery with Macrium it wanted to recover the OS partition to drive letter E. The external HDD got the letter D and I guess it was somehow still seeing the C drive that is on the eMMC. Another note: I tried running Memtest from the USB and there was no way it could boot into it. Probably doesn't support it?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
    ...Maybe I'd do just the factory reset then. Make it like it was when it came out of the packaga - so that I can pick a user name and language again. Is that possible and how do I do it?...
    Why would you need to do that, unless you are buying it used? Out of the box Win8.1 requires user name, etc. & Microsoft Account registration, which is the user name you choose. Read up on Win8.1 new installs, nothing like you are used to.

PS: On a side note - when I tried to do a recovery with Macrium it wanted to recover the OS partition to drive letter E. The external HDD got the letter D and I guess it was somehow still seeing the C drive that is on the eMMC. Another note: I tried running Memtest from the USB and there was no way it could boot into it. Probably doesn't support it?
    What do you mean by "Recovery"? Do you mean create an Image Backup?
    I told you previously than most 3rd part utilities don't work. The only bootable USB's are WinPE based.
    Try creating the Reflect bootable USB, Linux won't boot, WinPE does.

Try this utility, some of it works. Can't detect eMMC or RAM "chip". There is no SMBus which all desktops & laptops have.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 03-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I would need to do that because I entered just some XY name to test it quickly. I want to do it again and don't want to use the Microsoft Account registration - if that's possible? So how can I make a complete factory reset so that it will be like it came out of the package?

What do you mean by "nothing like you are used to"? I have installed XP, Windows 7 and 8 countless times - but always on a computer, I've never had a tablet yet so all the eMMC and other tablet-specific stuff is new to me.

Regarding Macrium - I've used the WinPE boot and it booted and all. I'm saying that it wanted to do a restore to an E drive letter (instead of C). That's all.

Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Bellzemos... search for "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".

You know, we're nearing 40 posts just to indulge your every wild question and what if scenario. Now you have a T100 and the first thing you want to do is take it back to box stock because you were just doing a quick configuration and wanted to test some stuff? What? Seriously? I don't think I can offer anything further helping and this post is my last in this thread.

Seriously, I wish you good luck.
    Rocket_Scientist likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Windows 8. 1 has quite a few features for refreshing and restoring windows. Apart from this you can also just reinstall windows using a legitimate iso file with a licence key or use the Microsoft tool stated earlier to create a generic USB using Rufus. You said yourself that you've done this many times before so I can't see any reason why it won't work on the t100.

I know that most users on this forum haven't tried this at all so that is why you are getting pushback. You are venturing into slightly uncharted territory even though a clean windows install is quote simple.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Alright, I said to heck with it and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and it all works fine. I downloaded 10 drivers from the ASUS support site and everything is covered and the T100TAM works really nice. Thank you all!
    janner43 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Alright, I said to heck with it and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and it all works fine. I downloaded 10 drivers from the ASUS support site and everything is covered and the T100TAM works really nice. Thank you all!
    Good to know. What was your process? Did you go with the verified is route that had its own key or did you create a generic USB tool? Also I assume you used 32 bit. Do you still have the connected standby functionality?

Once I get things sorted out with my other computer I think I will be doing the same. Will definitely want a clear install when windows 10 comes around the corner. As long as you are not losing the connected standby functionality.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Well the proces was nothing speciall really, I used Rufus to make a bootable USB from ISO, I selected the "GPT partition for UEFI" option and it worked. All the drivers are on the ASUS site, there's nothing missing in the Device Manager. And yes, I used 32-bit Windows since the Transformer only has 2 GB of RAM.

I don't know exactly what the "connected standby functionality" is, where can I check if I have it enabled or not?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links