Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
    Thank you for the link but I was unable to find any real difference between installing 64 bit or 32 bit Windows on a Transformer. I found this link but the content is removed:
    [Tutorial] Windows 8.1 Clean Installation

Anyway, I'll try installing it myself and if I'll get stuck at a certain point I'll post back.

Thank you!
    azazel1024 answered you... T100TAM: 32 or 64 bit Windows + other questions

This may sound harsh and I apologize... but if you get a new T100 and shoot yourself in the foot by trying to do something you've been advised can't nor shouldn't be done, you may have a hard time getting help from the folks here. Good luck.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I completely agree with you and I thank you for your help but it's kind of like OCD or a caprice of mine. I love instanning the absolutely clean OS myself. Without ANY additional/unneded software. So the Windows 8.1 key is stored in T100's BIOS and I sould take care when creating a boot USB to make it 32-bit UEFI boot drive. Right on. Again, thanx!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I completely agree with you and I thank you for your help but it's kind of like OCD or a caprice of mine. I love instanning the absolutely clean OS myself. Without ANY additional/unneded software. So the Windows 8.1 key is stored in T100's BIOS and I sould take care when creating a boot USB to make it 32-bit UEFI boot drive. Right on. Again, thanx!
    With 32bit Windows 8.1 unless your OCD drives you to try 64bit... LOL Good luck
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

For reference, This is the page you need to go to if you want to create installation media that recognizes the bios key. This is not necessary if you want to use you own key
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you.

1. Should the memory card (I have the 64 GB variant) be treated as a SSD or as a HDD (in terms of enabling the trim function, defragmenting the drive etc.)? I'd guess as a SSD (trim-yes, defrag-no) but want to be sure.

2. I also have a few questions about the BIOS settings. My version is 204 and that's also the altest on the ASUS site. I can't find the 205 version. So which one's the latest?

3. What is the fTPM setting? Should I enable or disable it to install my own copy of Windows 8.1?

4. What about Windows Boot Manager? What happens if I disable it?

5. What about the Secure Boot Support? Do I have to disable it?

6. And what about all the secure boot variables (Platform Key etc.)? What happens if I delete them? What are they anyway?

7. Before I'll be doing my thing I will back up the original installation by makinga full system image of the entire drive. The imaging program showed me that there are 5 different partitions in question here. Could you, please, explain them to me? I would like to format the drive completely (DISKPART: CLEAN ALL) and simply install a fresh copy of 32-bit Windows 8.1. Will the Transformer operate normally without all those (hidden partitions)? Can I format the drive into a MBR or does it have to be GPT?

sysimg.png

Thank you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    PS: I've found this in the Warranty document. Does it have anything to do with what I'm asking about the BIOS?

If the Product is designed with the TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
    function, keep the embedded security chip pre-boot password in a safe
    place (Note: Due to the design of TPM, it is not possible for ASUS to
    reset the embedded security chip pre-boot password. If the password
    is lost, the Product can only be repaired by replacing the entire
    motherboard, which is not covered under the Warranty.)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Anyone, please?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Don't risk it, be happy with the way it is. Search this forum for others who couldn't resist screwing with the install. You're on the road to bricking it. You have been warned.

OS is not "normal" Win8.1
    What Exactly Is ?Windows 8.1 with Bing?? Do I Have to Use Bing?

...Will the Transformer operate normally without all those (hidden partitions)? Can I format the drive into a MBR or does it have to be GPT?...
    No & No.
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 03-16-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Swipe and rickscheller like this.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Enable the TPM.

32-bit install only (64-bit won't work with a 32-bit UEFI). The link I provide has the step-by-step instructions on how to create the bootable media as does GTanner's link.

The various partition you are looking at are ~100MB UEFI, 700MB Repair parition, 8GB restore image and ~50GB left over space for the actual OS, applications, etc. Not sure why you are seeing a pair of ~100MB partitions there.

When you install clean you'll format the entire drive and it'll automatically create the 100MB UEFI and 700MB repair paritions. It will NOT create a recovery image unless you do that as a seperate step after installing windows.

I would do one of two things.

1) Do a fresh install using the recovery image that is already on the T100
    2) Copy whatever data you need off the drive and do a fresh clean install of windows

Making a full image of the thing doesn't really buy you anything. Either the fresh install will work fine (which it certainly should, so long as you follow the few basic steps), or else it won't and having everything mirrored on something else still isn't going to buy you anything because it'll be totally hosed.

This isn't an SSD/HDD where you can pop it out of the machine and copy the disk image to the drive and pop it back in if you accidently screw it up. It is chips soldered on the board.

Frankly, I'd pop an anti-anxiety med (my personal choice is Prozac) and live with the T100 as it is. Its a pretty clean almost no bloatware install that Asus ships the T100 with. You seem to be having a lot of angst and anxiety about doing a clean install on it.

Instead of fretting about that, I'd just live with it. If you are comfortable doing it, then just do it. It isn't brain surgery, but no reason to be stressing one way or another about it. Pull the trigger after following the basic instructions on how to do it realizing that if you messed it up big time, you could bork the T100, but odds aren't very good that it'll happen (IE it'll work fine, just relax). Or if you are that stressed about it and/or have a hard time figuring out the instructions, just live with it and everything will be okay.
    Caster and rickscheller like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Enable the TPM.

32-bit install only (64-bit won't work with a 32-bit UEFI)...The various partition you are looking at are ~100MB UEFI, 700MB Repair parition, 8GB restore image and ~50GB left over space for the actual OS, applications, etc. Not sure why you are seeing a pair of ~100MB partitions there...
    Mine is exactly the same (as shown with Macrium Reflect, which I also use).
    Don't know what Partition #3 (128MB) is. Reflect reports it as all used. (128MB/128MB)
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 03-16-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links