Like Tree11Likes

Thread: T100TAM: 32 or 64 bit Windows + other questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    What would be tricky about the UEFI and Windows 8.1? Are there some restrictions or something like that?

Winflash sounds like a BIOS flash tool, Smart Gesture is probably for the touchpad and Ausl Live Update for Asus updates? What are those updates, just new drivers or...? That's something really new for me.

Thank you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2 times
    Yup winflash is for bios(do not download and use easy flash it will break everything stick to Winflash) and smart gestures is for the touchpad. As for Asus live update that will be for mainly driver updates and maybe software updates(smart gesture and live update) but as of now I don't think you'll see any updates from Asus Live Update or at least I haven't for the TAM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    OK, thank you for the confirmation. I don't think I'll be using the Asus update, I like to manually install everything and then update a certain driver only if needed.

Please, tell me what to be careful about if I decide to reinstall Windows, what's with the UEFI stuff?

Thank you!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    The UEFI is 32-bit (UEFI is the replacement for BIOS, both are the basic input system for a computer pre-boot as well as interact between the OS and hardware).

So if you want to reinstall windows, you'll have to setup the boot drive specifically for a 32-bit UEFI. If you try to use a "normal" boot disk, it will not work as it is geared towards 64-bit UEFI (which is what most computers have).

Just google around for instructions on Windows 8.1 32-bit UEFI boot drive.

To the original question, a 64-bit build of windows will actually be faster than a 32-bit build. x86 instructions allow only 6 registers, but AMD64 instructions allow 12 registers (or maybe it is 3 and 6 respectively? Can't recall). This allows a few extra instruction dispatches at once. In practice this typically leads 64-bit builds of the OS and 64-bit software running on said OS to run around 10% faster than 32-bit stuff.

Downside is that 64-bit builds of software TEND (but not always) to be larger and/or utilize more memory space (in my experience about 5-10% more RAM). Since RAM is at a premium with only 2GB of installed memory...I'd stick 32-bit (the Bay Trail processor in the T100 IS a 64-bit processor, so it can run 64-bit builds of windows).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, BIOS would be integrated in a chip on a MoBo. Where is UEFI stored on the T100s? On a hidden partition of the memory card or somewhere else? Is the 64GB memory card in T100 formated in MBR or GPT format?

I usually set a boot USB drive using Rufus, I make a bootable USB from an ISO file and then install the OS. Rufus sets it for both, BIOS and UEFI. I googled it but haven't found any particular info on a 32-bit UEFI variant and how to go about it.

Let's say that I'd like to format the memory card completely and install my own Windows 8.1 32-bit. How should I go about it? I did that on laptops with BIOS and never had problems, sometimes had to enable legacy option but that's about it. I would really appreciate more info on the subject as I can't find any on Google (maybe because I don't really know what I'm looking for).

Thank you!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I would be very grateful if somone would answer my last post too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Anyone, please?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the link but I was unable to find any real difference between installing 64 bit or 32 bit Windows on a Transformer. I found this link but the content is removed:
    [Tutorial] Windows 8.1 Clean Installation

Anyway, I'll try installing it myself and if I'll get stuck at a certain point I'll post back.

Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
    Thank you for the link but I was unable to find any real difference between installing 64 bit or 32 bit Windows on a Transformer. I found this link but the content is removed:
    [Tutorial] Windows 8.1 Clean Installation

Anyway, I'll try installing it myself and if I'll get stuck at a certain point I'll post back.

Thank you!
    I've had a fee experiences installing windows on uefi bios on other Asus machines (not the t100) uefi is stored on the motherboard and is separate from the main memory card.

Windows 8.1 installation iso files work very well. Microsoft even has a tool to generate a generic iso that can read the license key stored in the Bios.

I'm assuming that you, like me have access to Microsoft enterprise level is keys (through Microsoft MSDN or similar) of there is an option to download a 32 but version then I would do that. Then you can use Rufus to create a boot drive. You have to select some very specific settings though for it to be recognized. I think it's gpt for ufei system but you can do some research and verify.

If you selected correctly then you can click the install executable on the drive you created and the install will start from right within windows. No initial booting into bios necessary.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links