Thread: 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

I sent my T100 to ASUS repairs with the standard 32GB C drive. It came back with the C drive reporting only 20.2GB drive. How is this possible and does ASUS have reason to downsize the hard drive?

Can I use the SSD external card slot to load and run windows 8.1 with out using the internal SSD C drive? I have a 64GB card to use.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 04-04-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I think that you will find that the 20.2 gig C: drive is the available partition. While the drive is a 32 Gb, there is most likely a "hidden" partition drive with the recovery information (it is called a recovery partition).
    If you go to the old style desktop and RIGHT click on the "computer" icon, when the sidebar opens you should see "manage" as one of the options. Choose that and then the + sign alongside of "storage". Now choose "Disk Management" and it will open a virtual manager that will show your storage devices. you should see your 32 Gb drive with a smaller partition inside of it. that is your recovery partition, the remaining 20.2 gb will be the partition that contains all of your working dats and operating system.

Ray

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    PS.

There should also be a very small (100 MB or so) system partition - that is your "root" partition, where your system goes to start the computer.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    They apparently had to factory reset your device. For some reason, they have to put the recovery partition on the SSD as they can't point to the hidden recovery ROM anymore. This is true of a refurb device as well.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    By SSD external card, I assume you mean a MicroSD card? If so, the T100 doesn't natively boot into MicroSD however its possible but complicated to boot into MicroSD by using a bootloader in the internal memory. Loading Windows on a external MicroSD card will also be very slow. Best to keep using the internal memory for Windows. For files and some programs, you can put directly into the external card. There are also some guides floating around in this forum on how you can gain some space too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donc4013 View Post
    I sent my T100 to ASUS repairs with the standard 32GB C drive. It came back with the C drive reporting only 20.2GB drive. How is this possible and does ASUS have reason to downsize the hard drive?

Can I use the SSD external card slot to load and run windows 8.1 with out using the internal SSD C drive? I have a 64GB card to use.
    I was in the same situation as you donc, went for repair and came back just as yours did, with low space due to the recovery partition being on the main drive instead of its own separate recovery drive. So, I sent it back with this problem. I've had a call from the retailer I purchased from today to say they have now got my t100 back from repair (took them 1 month!) So I shall be picking it up tomorrow hopefully and I will see if they have put the recovery back onto its own separate drive, if not, it'll be going straight back again!
    Last edited by padlad; 03-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Just thought I would update my previous post, picked up my T100, checked it and now the main drive and partition are how they are supposed to be and how they were when I first bought the T100 new. So, if you sent yours back for repair and it came back like the OP and myself, send it back again and tell them to put it right!
    rickscheller and mdwh like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by padlad View Post
    Just thought I would update my previous post, picked up my T100, checked it and now the main drive and partition are how they are supposed to be and how they were when I first bought the T100 new. So, if you sent yours back for repair and it came back like the OP and myself, send it back again and tell them to put it right!
    I'm so,so glad to hear someone stood up to get that straightened out. I always believed the repair (or refurb) process was responsible for this. Hopefully your situation will breath life into folks who've just thrown up the hands in discouragement. Thanks
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    I'm so,so glad to hear someone stood up to get that straightened out. I always believed the repair (or refurb) process was responsible for this. Hopefully your situation will breath life into folks who've just thrown up the hands in discouragement. Thanks
    Yep hopefully, I was little concerned at first as I had read a few different posts on this forum with the same problem and a few getting nowhere with Asus when contacting them. But luckily I purchased mine through a 'bricks and mortar' retailer (John Lewis in the UK) so I just took it to them to sort out. To be fair their tech guys are quite clued up and knew it wasn't right.

A bit unrelated but they also told me they had Windows 10 running on a T100 they had and said it ran really well, the only major thing that didn't work properly was the auto rotation but as that is just a driver issue it would be sorted.
    rickscheller likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I wonder if they gave you a new one. Maybe cloned your drive? AFAIK, it can't be done and even posed the question to the onsite Asus support with no answer. So it is a poor design because a lot of people do factory reset their devices to sell or give to someone else.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links