Thread: 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PauloBR View Post
    I think that I should do another factory reset on my T100TA. After I did my first factory reset 2 days ago, I selected all available downloads on Windows Update. After reading somewhere that Microsoft recommends installing only critical and security updates on low memory tablets, I realized that my choice was stupid.

What do you think? I bet I'll end up with more than the 10 GB free I currently have. Since Microsoft now says that Windows 10 can be installed on systems with at least 10 GB free, that's the way to go.

BTW, time is no issue, I'm retired and I'm beginning to enjoy messing around with this little yet powerful toy.

Best of all,
    You don't have to factory reset to get rid of Windows Updates. You can uninstall like this:
    Remove an update - Windows Help

I'm going to uninstall all of the malicious software tools and updates. I think my Malwarebytes program protects me enough. I totally agree to only install the important ones. I have mine set to not automatically install but let me choose. I'll have to set it to automatic until I get my 10 reservation.

I absolutely hate the updating stuff on android and Windows. It is so frequent and time consuming.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-11-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Did you ask about the "Windows 8.1+Bing" thing? It appears to be a differentiated product like Pro and Ultimate for "low priced tablets". They were pretty specific that only Windows Home Premium 7 and 8.1 SP1 were to be updated to 10.
    I've just discovered that "Windows 8.1 with Bing" is eligible to the free upgrade to Windows 10: Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft. Look for "***" in that page.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    You don't have to factory reset to get rid of Windows Updates. You can uninstall like this:
    Remove an update - Windows Help
    Yes, I know that. But as there's no way of telling which updates are "critical" or "safety", I would have to uninstall all updates and then running Windows update to select the critical and safety ones.

On the other hand, it's easy to do a factory reset: just insert the USB, restart the system, follow instructions and wait about half an hour. After that, running Windows Update can take a couple of hours.

Edit: OK, I can see which updates are "safety" and "hotfix". I could uninstall all the other ones, but they are so many, it'll be a lot of work uninstalling them one by one...
    Last edited by PauloBR; 06-11-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Yes, I know that. But as there's no way of telling which updates are "critical" or "safety", I would have to uninstall all updates and then running Windows update to select the critical and safety ones.

On the other hand, it's easy to do a factory reset: just insert the USB, restart the system, follow instructions and wait about half an hour. After that, running Windows Update can take a couple of hours.

Edit: OK, I can see which updates are "safety" and "hotfix". I could uninstall all the other ones, but they are so many, it'll be a lot of work uninstalling them one by one...
    Yeah, like I say, I wish Windows didn't update so frequently. It's not easy either way. A full Windows Update from scratch easily can take 2-3 days for me with the downloading and installing. I think you can also do it from the Windows Update page accessed from Control Panel. I think it describes them better there.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I've just discovered that "Windows 8.1 with Bing" is eligible to the free upgrade to Windows 10: Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft. Look for "***" in that page.
    Wow, look at all that "fine print"!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links