Thread: 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    PauloBR... from your model#, you have the 32GB/500GB model which means that if it's never been sent in for repair, your recovery partition is on the 8GB chip and you can't technically alter what's stored on that chip.

However to clarify, many people who have sent their 32GB T100 in for repair only to find on return, that Asus has messed up and partitioned it like a 64GB model that puts the recovery partition on the main drive leaving the owner with 8GB less space on their 32GB system disk and that 8GB chip is still there but becomes useless.
    I'm sorry, but I'll have to say this: how many times will I need to repeat the same thing over and over again...

Quote Originally Posted by PauloBR View Post
    Hi, I live in Brazil and I bought my T100TA last march, from a big and well known Brazilian online retailer, which also has a huge chain of physical stores. I know the machine was brand new, because the box came with all of the usual ASUS tape seals. For those who don't know, since 2009 ASUS has a facility in Curitiba (South of Brazil) where it assembles tablets and smartphones.

My T100TA has the following partitions: 20.2 GB for the C: drive, 8 GB for the recovery partition, 100 MB hidden partition.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Ah, I missed the part where you said the recovery partition was "read only". Asus really does not want you to delete it:

Cannot delete recovery partition - Microsoft Community

I called their support and they wouldn't talk to me about it. Yet I just had to to recover the disk space. Luckily, mine must not have been "read only". I think you will have to format the disk and make a generic Windows 8.1 ISO USB install drive:

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

You will have to load the drivers manually from Asus support page for your country. It should pick up the license from bios.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    You will have to load the drivers manually from Asus support page for your country. It should pick up the license from bios.
    Make sure before you do the ISO install that you have copies of the latest drivers for your device on separate media to copy back (and install) on your T100 since your network may not work after the ISO install.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 06-10-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    fiat_lux likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Another reason you may be having trouble with deleting the recovery partition is your OS may have been loaded with WIMboot technology. It does really need to be there if that is the case. Possible if you just bought it in March. How much free memory did the system have new?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Another reason you may be having trouble with deleting the recovery partition is your OS may have been loaded with WIMboot technology. It does really need to be there if that is the case. Possible if you just bought it in March. How much free memory did the system have new?
    I don't think so. I'm not familiar with WIMboot technology, but as far as I know, my T100TA partitions are pretty Windows standard. Have a look on the attached image. My system language is Portuguese-Brazil, but you'll have no trouble understanding the partitions mapping, since the technical terms are similar to English.

By the way, a few days ago, just after I did the factory reset, my T100TA had about 16 GB free on the C: drive. However, after installing all of the Windows updates, I was left with about 10 GB free on the C: drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PauloBR; 06-10-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    This looks very typical of a 32GB model that has been sent for repair and the recovery was placed on the main drive.

Since this is a new unit bought in March, it seems Asus is saving the cost of the "8GB chip type" recovery at the expense of a reduced main drive size.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    I suspect that ASUS is doing that on all 32 GB T100TA units they assemble in Brazil. I've read some complains similar to mine on Brazilian forums. Here in Brazil we have a site called "Reclame Aqui" ("Complain Here" in English) were people can post their complains about everything related to companies, services, products, etc. The complains altogether with the companies reply to them, are used to create companies and products ranks. Because of that, honest companies aer pretty fast in responding and usually this is a better method of complaining then are the companies consumer services. Two days ago I posted on that site a complain about my 32 GB model having only 20.2 GB. I'm still waiting a response from ASUS Brazil, but my hopes are very low, I'm expecting some kind of copy and paste answer. Anyway, this way at least other users will be aware of ASUS false advertising.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    The architecture looks typical but his free space is not typical. I actually have a couple of 100 mb and a 700 mb recovery partitions. 16 gb free out of 20 means the OS has to be compressed (e.g. WIMBoot compression). When I got my unit, I had 5 gb free after I updated Windows, I think, because I could not install Office 2013 Pro, which needed 5.1 gb space. And that is with the 8 gb recovery partition intact. So I would leave well enough alone as 16 is a lot. I think I had about 12 free max after removal of the recovery partition. I am not that familiar with the compression technology either but I believe Windows 10 will take advantage of it for small (<64 gb) SSDs. At least that is what I heard and am hoping.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-10-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm also hoping that Windows 10 will use compression technology on systems with small SSDs. Otherwise, that would compromise Microsoft goal of Windows 10 running everywhere and also compromise its goal of having about 2 billion Windows 10 installations two years after launching.
    Last edited by PauloBR; 06-10-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: I meant 'Windows 10', not 'Windows'

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Good point fiat_lux... is there some way for a user to know if they're running a compressed (WIMBoot) OS?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links