Thread: 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PauloBR View Post
    Hi, I live in Brazil and I bought my T100TA last march, from a big and well known Brazilian online retailer, which also has a huge chain of physical stores. I know the machine was brand new, because the box came with all of the usual ASUS tape seals. For those who don't know, since 2009 ASUS has a facility in Curitiba (South of Brazil) where it assembles tablets and smartphones.

My T100TA has the following partitions: 20.2 GB for the C: drive, 8 GB for the recovery partition, 100 MB hidden partition.

I'm willing to install Windows 10 Insider Preview on my T100TA and, as you may know, I need to have at least 16 GB free on the system partition in order to do that. Currently my C: drive has about 9 Gb free. Do you think I can safely backup the recovery partition and assign the 8 GB to the C: drive? I would appreciate if anybody gives me the directions to do that.

By the way, would my T100TA warranty be void if I use the ASUS Backtracker tool?

Best regards,
    If you have a brand new 32 gb model, the 8 gb recovery partition is on a hidden chip, not the eMMC 32 gb drive. Why don't you just wait for the free Windows 10 upgrade (July 29)? I don't think you need 16 gb free, just a 16 gb partition to hold the OS.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    I don't think you can use the Backtracker tool on a 32 gb model because the 8 gb recovery partition is on a hidden ROM chip.
    On some 32 gb models the 8 gb recovery partition is on the SSD. I have a 20,2 gb partition (C: drive) and a 8 gb partition (recovery).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    I backed up my recovery partition to a flash drive with Backtracker, but after that there was no option for deleting the 8 gb recovery partition. Then I tried to delete the recovery partition with two different partition managers (AOMEI and Easus) and the result was the same: all of my T100TA partitions were wiped out !!! My system was totally emptied and I had to do a reset to factory default, luckily and was able to do that with the flash drive were I saved the recovery partition.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    If you have a brand new 32 gb model, the 8 gb recovery partition is on a hidden chip, not the eMMC 32 gb drive. Why don't you just wait for the free Windows 10 upgrade (July 29)? I don't think you need 16 gb free, just a 16 gb partition to hold the OS.
    There are several posts in this forum that stated that there are two versions of the 32 gb model: one with the recovery partition on a chip and a full 32 gb C: drive; another one has the recovery partition on the SSD, which has a 20.2 partition for the C: drive and a 8 gb read only recovery partition.

And yes, after going to a lot of trouble trying to install a Windows 10 Preview release, I'll just wait for the Windows 10 final release to install it on my T100TA. That's a shame, because I'm using Windows 10 on my desktop PC and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Best regards,

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I backed up my recovery partition to a flash drive with Backtracker, but after that there was no option for deleting the 8 gb recovery partition. Then I tried to delete the recovery partition with two different partition managers (AOMEI and Easus) and the result was the same: all of my T100TA partitions were wiped out !!! My system was totally emptied and I had to do a reset to factory default, luckily and was able to do that with the flash drive were I saved the recovery partition.
    Actually, Windows will allow you to copy the recovery partition to USB and give you an option to delete the partition. That's how I did it. But I haven't tested the USB out yet. Yes, most people that have tried to delete the partition with a 3rd party software have had a lot of trouble. Well, the information that we have in the US is that the 8 gb recovery was on a separate ROM on new machines only. However, when the device goes through a factory refurb at ASUS, the recovery partition ends up on the eMMC. I bought a refurb and my recovery was on the eMMC. For space purposes on the 32 gb model it makes sense to have the separate ROM. You have to get rid of it on the eMMC or you will not have enough free space to operate at all. So I didn't know that new 32 gb models came with the recovery drive on the eMMC. Sorry. Windows 10 is supposed to run more compressed with the WIM technology so I am hoping to regain a lot of free space. I am currently running 2 gb free with basically nothing installed. I've got about 5 gb tied up in the WinSxS folder but most people say not to mess with it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Actually, Windows will allow you to copy the recovery partition to USB and give you an option to delete the partition. That's how I did it. But I haven't tested the USB out yet. Yes, most people that have tried to delete the partition with a 3rd party software have had a lot of trouble. Well, the information that we have in the US is that the 8 gb recovery was on a separate ROM on new machines only. However, when the device goes through a factory refurb at ASUS, the recovery partition ends up on the eMMC. I bought a refurb and my recovery was on the eMMC. For space purposes on the 32 gb model it makes sense to have the separate ROM. You have to get rid of it on the eMMC or you will not have enough free space to operate at all. So I didn't know that new 32 gb models came with the recovery drive on the eMMC. Sorry. Windows 10 is supposed to run more compressed with the WIM technology so I am hoping to regain a lot of free space. I am currently running 2 gb free with basically nothing installed. I've got about 5 gb tied up in the WinSxS folder but most people say not to mess with it.
    Thanks for the information, but since I already have a backup of the recovery partition on a pen drive, how exactly can I delete it? The standard Windows Disk Manager shows the recovery partition as read only, and the only option I get on a right mouse click is "Help".

Best regards,

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    So, with your factory reset from your recovery drive, did you get back the Asus image with the recovery drive on the eMMC? If so, make another backup to a 16 gb USB drive (they are fairly cheap; I wouldn't mess with the pen drive you know is working) using these instructions:
    Create a USB recovery drive - Windows Help

There will be a little box to check to delete the partition.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    There are several posts in this forum that stated that there are two versions of the 32 gb model: one with the recovery partition on a chip and a full 32 gb C: drive; another one has the recovery partition on the SSD, which has a 20.2 partition for the C: drive and a 8 gb read only recovery partition.
    My T100 model is T100TA-DK056B.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    So, with your factory reset from your recovery drive, did you get back the Asus image with the recovery drive on the eMMC? If so, make another backup to a 16 gb USB drive (they are fairly cheap; I wouldn't mess with the pen drive you know is working) using these instructions:
    Create a USB recovery drive - Windows Help

There will be a little box to check to delete the partition.
    So, I followed Microsoft instructions and made a backup of the recovery partition on a USB drive. Fine, the backup was created, but still I can't delete the recovery partition. There was no 'delete partition' check box on the MS tool that backs up the recovery partition, there was only a check box "copy the recovery partition from the computer to recovery unit".

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    PauloBR... from your model#, you have the 32GB/500GB model which means that if it's never been sent in for repair, your recovery partition is on the 8GB chip and you can't technically alter what's stored on that chip.

However to clarify, many people who have sent their 32GB T100 in for repair only to find on return, that Asus has messed up and partitioned it like a 64GB model that puts the recovery partition on the main drive leaving the owner with 8GB less space on their 32GB system disk and that 8GB chip is still there but becomes useless.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links