Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 32gb t100ta repair should not shrink hdd

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had the exact same experience, I previously had something like 28-29GB on C: (whatever it was when you convert gigabytes to gibibytes and subtract the small other partition on the boot drive), had issues with the 500GB drive in the keyboard disconnecting, sent it in for repair in Bangkok and now AFTER THREE MONTHS they took to fix the thing they give it back to me with a 20.2GB C: drive preventing me from using Office.

Absolutely furious about this, they have given me back a computer that simply isn't usable and isn't the machine I bought. They also didn't bother replacing the rubber feet on the back of the keyboard after they took them off to get at the screws so it slides around the place. I have no idea why they felt reimaging the thing was necessary in the first place, the problem was ENTIRELY with the hard disk in the keyboard unit, they shouldn't have even needed the actual tablet bit in the first place to fix it. I had backed everything up but it was still a hassle reinstalling everything... Especially when I suddenly and unexpectedly ran out of disk space! Heh!

With the huge delay repairing I also had to leave the country and it was an over 2,000km round train trip to go back to pick the thing up. I'm back 800km or so away from them again when I noticed it and don't have time to go back to them AGAIN. This is absolutely terrible service, and it seems they are doing it to anyone who returns one of these machines, anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 04-04-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed profanity that's against forum rules. blorg, that's one.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    posted on other threads but...

sent mine for RMA for battery issues. after doing a recovery with a USB drive created with windows built in recovery disk creator, it copied over the hidden recovery drive contents to the SSD, screwing me out of disk space. right before I sent the unit in for RMA for the battery issues, i noted on my RMA form: ** Also please restore the unit back to defaults, with the recovery pointing back to hidden recovery drive and NOT to the SSD **. got my unit back 10 days later with a brand new battery, AND the recovery pointing back to the hidden recovery drive, as if I just purchased the unit.

even before i sent it off with the recovery contents copied to the SSD, i could still access the hidden drive and view the contents. the recovery image was still there, i just couldnt press F9 to initiate recovery.

fiat_lux, i am curious as to why you think that when these issues arise, you seem to think that a) they replace the motherboard all together or b) replace the unit? as far as i can see, my serial number is the same. my suspicions are that the 700MB Windows Recovery Environment partition points to the recovery drive. not a drive letter but rather the volume ID. so when doing the microsoft recovery (created with a USB drive) i think windows recreates the partition but doesnt point to this hidden drive. this may explain why i can still see and view the contents of the hidden drive using DISKPART and explorer.

also, i find it hard to believe that you can only initiate the F9 to restore a limited amount of times on the 32GB version. i tested your (or another users, cant recall) theory when I got mine back a total of 4 times and it worked every time. i dont mind being a guinea pig here to disprove some things so if you have questions ill try to answer or perform anything you want, though i think ive nailed it down for the most part.

also wouldnt make sense if the above was true. take your typical laptop, lets say HP. the drive is partitioned in such a way that if the user ever needs to do a recovery, they can do their equivalent of an F9 to enter recovery and reimage the drive as needed. only if the user repartitions that drive, or messes with the partitioning layout, that user wouldnt be able to get to recovery by normal means. HP recommends that you create recovery disks (one time only) in case something happens to the recovery partition. HP doesnt delete this partition afterwards. by taking the above into context, this would explain why it didnt work for me after using the microsoft-created recovery USB drive. keep in mind that the hidden recovery drive in the 32GB units is read-only, though with some Hitachi software mentioned in another thread, you can make it so it is write-enabled.

my recommendation? create an image of the whole disk so you arent screwing around with the partitioning, and when you do get the T100TA back, and discover that the recovery was copied to the SSD, restore your image so everything is back to the way it was, without ruining recovery functionality.

i think something like this should be stickied for users who have to RMA their 32GB units so they know what to do to get the drive back to normal.
    Last edited by AFX; 04-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    i tested your (or another users, cant recall) theory when I got mine back a total of 4 times and it worked every time. i dont mind being a guinea pig here to disprove some things so if you have questions ill try to answer or perform anything you want, though i think ive nailed it down for the most part.
    That was my statement AFX and I had found that theory in these forums by another user from a late 2013 post.

I thank you for being the guinea pig to invalidate that theory. That's one more data point leading to the truth.

And the truth looks more and more like Asus, when repairing a 32GB unit doesn't know what they're doing and improperly puts the reset partition on the 32GB drive even though the 8GB chip is still there and technically perfectly usable but the reset pointers are set improperly because they've put all three of the reset sections on the 32GB drive.

With your experience, this really should be a sticky... if you want to write up the concise details, I can sticky it as a post.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    That was my statement AFX and I had found that theory in these forums by another user from a late 2013 post.

I thank you for being the guinea pig to invalidate that theory. That's one more data point leading to the truth.

And the truth looks more and more like Asus, when repairing a 32GB unit doesn't know what they're doing and improperly puts the reset partition on the 32GB drive even though the 8GB chip is still there and technically perfectly usable but the reset pointers are set improperly because they've put all three of the reset sections on the 32GB drive.

With your experience, this really should be a sticky... if you want to write up the concise details, I can sticky it as a post.
    yes, i think its just ASUS using the same methods that they would use on the 64GB model on the 32GB model personally.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    The microSD cardreader is too slow so even if it would be possible I would not install an operating system on it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Wouldn't this be better as a single post (as originally posted) so people can see the information rather than sift through threads? Do I need to link to these threads to get this back to a single post?
    This is such a complex and convoluted subject with so many different threads and misperceptions that your separate post would appear to many to be "out of the blue" and disconnected historically to the issue, so I felt it would make more sense to the stop by reader if these recent research and discovery posts were included, then ending with your excellent findings and explanations.

Hopefully people with the 32GB device that need to send it to repair can read these two pages of posts and can have a complete understanding of what they should expect to receive back from repair. Your last post provides a resolution to the loss of HDD space by outlining how the user can correct for Asus' mistake.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 04-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    ok thanks anyway

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    AFX... why did you delete your great "how to" and why post? We just had a poster ask "how to get their recovery back" and I wanted to directly reference your post and saw you deleted it. Why?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    posted on other threads but...

fiat_lux, i am curious as to why you think that when these issues arise, you seem to think that a) they replace the motherboard all together or b) replace the unit? as far as i can see, my serial number is the same. my suspicions are that the 700MB Windows Recovery Environment partition points to the recovery drive. not a drive letter but rather the volume ID. so when doing the microsoft recovery (created with a USB drive) i think windows recreates the partition but doesnt point to this hidden drive. this may explain why i can still see and view the contents of the hidden drive using DISKPART and explorer.

also, i find it hard to believe that you can only initiate the F9 to restore a limited amount of times on the 32GB version. i tested your (or another users, cant recall) theory when I got mine back a total of 4 times and it worked every time. i dont mind being a guinea pig here to disprove some things so if you have questions ill try to answer or perform anything you want, though i think ive nailed it down for the most part.

also wouldnt make sense if the above was true. take your typical laptop, lets say HP. the drive is partitioned in such a way that if the user ever needs to do a recovery, they can do their equivalent of an F9 to enter recovery and reimage the drive as needed. only if the user repartitions that drive, or messes with the partitioning layout, that user wouldnt be able to get to recovery by normal means. HP recommends that you create recovery disks (one time only) in case something happens to the recovery partition. HP doesnt delete this partition afterwards. by taking the above into context, this would explain why it didnt work for me after using the microsoft-created recovery USB drive. keep in mind that the hidden recovery drive in the 32GB units is read-only, though with some Hitachi software mentioned in another thread, you can make it so it is write-enabled.
    AFX, I couldn't agree with you more. I am just as frustrated as you are. My comments are only driven by my own and others observations. We can't seem to get an official technical assessment from Asus on the matter. All I know is, my Asus factory refurbed 32 gb unit arrived with the 8 gb recovery partition on the SSD. From what I gather, NIB units were not configured like that, e.g. they had a separate, hidden 8 gb recovery drive. The way it arrived, I could not install Office 2013 due to inadequate disk space. I saw that other people deleted the recovery partition after copying it to USB but had trouble using the USB recovery drive. So I called Asus and they said not to do it. But I had to, not so much because of the Office (I installed that to SD), but general free disk space. As it turns out, even with the extra 8 gb space, I am having issues.

I am with you. A factory reset should not change system configuration. Only user configuration. I'd like to have a simple way to reset the device but I think I am going to have to jump through some hoops when I need to reset. I assumed that it was some sort of "pointing" issue why the hidden drive was no longer functional but I just don't know. If you can reset as may times as you like without changing the partitions, why do they refurb the units that way? Why would they only have a 64 gb recovery image? Just too many logical questions unanswered...

Oh, some users have deleted the contents of the hidden recovery drive and are using it as storage. It apparently is not ROM.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 04-07-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    @fiat_lux...
    Oh, some users have deleted the contents of the hidden recovery drive and are using it as storage. It apparently is not ROM.
    Is that really true? If so, that's an interesting point.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links