Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times

Exclamation [FYI] Diary of doing a Windows refresh

On 1/14/15, Windows offered me six Security Updates as follows, KB3023266, KB3022777, KB3021674, KB3019215, KB3004365 and KB3019978 and I "successfully" installed all six. Then within a day of those updates, I started having random strange issues.

I'd open the cover to bring my tablet out of sleep, log in then tap on "any/all" start screen icons. The icon would blink but nothing would happen. Charms bar would pop in from the right but no charm buttons would work, I'd have to hold the power button and after a few seconds, the shutdown screen would pop up and I'd swipe down to shut it down, then power button to restart. All would work OK after that but after, about 1 of 3 awakens would do the same.

This morning, I opened it from sleep and it came up in the desktop, taskbar showing and a screen full of un-named icons along with the standard four icons I keep there. I swiped in from the right to open charms and no charms worked. Again power button shut down and restarted OK.

I just now uninstalled all six of those updates... and I won't install any updates for a few days to see if my tablet returns/stays stable before I do any updates.

Update 1; One other thing I noticed was my system created a bunch of empty OneDrive folders named sequentially as OneDrive.old then OneDrive (X).old where X was an incrementing number starting at 2. Each folder was created on a different date starting on 1/14/15.

Update 2; All that did nothing, same problem still randomly there. Now I've done a system REFRESH. Pretty much have a bunch of tuning to do now... what a royal pain. Time will tell.

Update 3; here I am 2 hours later. Asus Live Update did its thing. I installed one of three printers. Installed Avast, resetup IE. Sheesh. At least I'm back to being productive. Haven't done any Windows updates, need to reinstall Office H&S. At least all my apps restored and user info was imported. YAY for that. Now to see if my tablet remains stable. Sadly just realized I still need to install update 1.

Update 4; Since I wasn't at "update 1" I decided to let Windows install 53 pending updates. After 30 minutes of install, getting ready, etc., message pops up "We couldn't install updates... Undoing changes"... then 30 minutes later back to where I was. It's late... at least T100's working... time to sleep on it. Just noticed that somewhere, it seems to have deleted Avast (installed in 3), how'd that happen?

Update 5; Sunday morning... tablet seems stable. Did some productive stuff. Ran "Windows update troubleshooter" and it "fixed" two things... "Potential windows update database error 0x80070490" and "Windows update components must be repaired"... Currently Windows update shows no updates available and update last run "never".

Update 6; Ran Windows update and got a pop over window showing "error running windows update" and a "try again" button. Touched try again and downloading of updates began. Once done, it showed 12 important updates... one of them being KB2919355 aka "update 1". Installed just that update. All seems OK for now. Will update the others later. So far through all this, the original weirdness has not reappeared. One interesting thing from last nights work, after the REFRESH, Asus Live Update seemed to get smart again and offered me four important updates and one optional. I loaded the four important ones and ignored the optional one which was a Broadcom driver. Interesting point... my ALU history shows those four updates... prior to that it's never showed a history after ALU updated itself last fall.

Update 7; Monday morning. Everything is working well. Windows Update says I have 77 important updates and 8 optional updates. Gonna resist temptation and make sure my tablet remains stable for a few days before I install any more updates. The last thing I want is a repeat of a multi-day refresh process. Once I get through this, I'll be looking into Macrium Reflect and maybe begin to backup the entire OS. That sounds like an easier approach than the piecemeal approach I've had to do.

Update 8; Tuesday. Set recovery space to 2%... was set at 50%(?)... ran Windows disk cleaner, I deleted "SkyDrive" (11GB)... it was a duplicate of OneDrive and then I was back to 23GB free from where I started all this at 2GB.

Update 9; discovered that display rotate was not working. After refresh? Didn't have rectangle icon above brightness slider charms settings. Solved that by finding solution at these forums. Thanks.

Update 10; Thursday... Windows Update still showing 77+8 updates needed but my device is as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar. Still at 23GB free.

Update 11; Noticed my T100 was a bit sluggish accessing wifi this afternoon. I checked my Broadcom driver and it was at .187. I rolled back to .168(MS)... problem solved. What I can't figure out is how that happened. I've not yet installed a single Windows update since running the refresh except for "update 1" to Windows 8.1 and I didn't let Asus Live Update update that driver. This is getting irritating.

Update 12; Well, decided it was time to get "up to date"... Installed the 77 important updates, then 1 more, then 2 more, then 1 more. WHEW!! 1.5 hours later and all is good. Tablet is very fast. Free space actually increased from 23GB to almost 25GB. That may have been because of the 77 pending "downloaded" updates. Time will tell?

Last Update; T100 is behaving properly, performane is solid, wifi is good, battery life is good.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 02-02-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: change title to reflect subject
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    After the 2015/01/15 updates, my T100TA started using about 10% per hour of battery when asleep. After a full charge one evening, the next morning the battery was so dead that it had to be plugged in for an hour before it would even boot. I haven't experienced the wierdness you've seen. I un-installed the updates, and I think the battery consumption is better. MS isn't in my good books, as i really needed a charged tablet for work that day the battery was beyond flat.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    On 1/14/15, Windows offered me six Security Updates as follows, KB3023266, KB3022777, KB3021674, KB3019215, KB3004365 and KB3019978 and I "successfully" installed all six. Then within a day of those updates, I started having random strange issues.

I'd open the cover to bring my tablet out of sleep, log in then tap on "any/all" start screen icons. The icon would blink but nothing would happen. Charms bar would pop in from the right but no charm buttons would work, I'd have to hold the power button and after a few seconds, the shutdown screen would pop up and I'd swipe down to shut it down, then power button to restart. All would work OK after that but after, about 1 of 3 awakens would do the same.

This morning, I opened it from sleep and it came up in the desktop, taskbar showing and a screen full of un-named icons along with the standard four icons I keep there. I swiped in from the right to open charms and no charms worked. Again power button shut down and restarted OK.

I just now uninstalled all six of those updates... and I won't install any updates for a few days to see if my tablet returns/stays stable before I do any updates.

Update 1; One other thing I noticed was my system created a bunch of empty OneDrive folders named sequentially as OneDrive.old then OneDrive (X).old where X was an incrementing number starting at 2. Each folder was created on a different date starting on 1/14/15.

Update 2; All that did nothing. Now I've done a system REFRESH. Pretty much have a bunch of tuning to do now... what a royal pain. Time will tell.

Update 3; here I am 2 hours later. Asus Live Update did its thing, installed one of three printers. Installed Avast, resetup IE. Sheesh. At least I'm back to being productive. Haven't done any Windows updates, need to reinstall Office H&S. At least all my apps restored and user info was imported. YEA for that. Now to see if my tablet remains stable. Sadly just realized I still need to install update 1.
    Feel sorry about what happened Rick, I just crosschecked and have had all these 6 updates installed which you have mentioned, along with a couple other security fixes till date. A little worried after reading your post, but have been using it since that day till now and haven't seen this what you noticed. It's very weird indeed and quite odd, the behavior which you have mentioned, I do have a feeling something to do with your NT Login profile along with the updates, since you mentioned the OneDrive.old and OneDrive (x).old, those only happen when the profile gets updated either from Win 8 to Win 8.1 (like skydrive or so forth) or their are symbolic links in them which are not synchronized properly by OneDrive and it creates a new folder then syncs with your MS NT Profile, as a similar thing happened to me on a desktop with Windows 8.1, a year back. I do believe that's not the case here, however just wanted to point that out.

5 of the Updates seem Vulnerability updates and one of them KB3019978 seems like a Security Update, but from all 6 of them, there's only one which involves Vulnerability in Windows User Profile and that's KB3021674. Rather it should fix the vulnerability if any instead of creating this weird behavior which you noticed with the whole profile it seems. I will keep an eye out and monitor it further, haven't uninstalled anything yet, but yes thank you for posting and letting us know. I do feel terrible after having such a behavior experienced like you just did and going with the only option to refreshing the system .

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3021674

Updates installed sequence by date on my T100TA,

2015-01-25 12_14_48-View update history.png
    rickscheller likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Lately, the last few times I've attempted Windows update on multiple Win8.1 PCs, I keep running into a lot of "Failed to complete Update". It's gotten to the point where I just don't trust the Windows Update process and have decided to set all my Win 8.1 PCs to the "Turn Automatic Updates Off, and Don't Notify Me (Not Recommended)" setting.

I've decided it's better to live with the Security risks, and keep a smooth running PC. If I ever run into something that seems broken, then I'll check into performing some Windows updates. So, I've fallen into the "If it aint broken, Don't fix it" approach with Windows updates lately.

Rick's experience only reinforces my decision.
    rickscheller likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Lately, the last few times I've attempted Windows update on multiple Win8.1 PCs, I keep running into a lot of "Failed to complete Update". It's gotten to the point where I just don't trust the Windows Update process and have decided to set all my Win 8.1 PCs to the "Turn Automatic Updates Off, and Don't Notify Me (Not Recommended)" setting.

I've decided it's better to live with the Security risks, and keep a smooth running PC. If I ever run into something that seems broken, then I'll check into performing some Windows updates. So, I've fallen into the "If it aint broken, Don't fix it" approach with Windows updates lately.

Rick's experience only reinforces my decision.
    I'm a believer Redroll. Like I say, my T100 has 77 updates pending and it's running smooth as silk right now, so... it ain't broke, so why fix it?
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    .......Update 2; All that did nothing, same problem still randomly there. Now I've done a system REFRESH. Pretty much have a bunch of tuning to do now... what a royal pain. Time will tell......
    I went to do a Refresh yesterday and it said I didn't have enough free space.
    • I moved my Pictures, uninstalled all my software and moved all my Portable software but I still didn't have enough free space
    • I had already run CCleaner but now I used the Windows Disk Cleanup tool and selected the advancd options which deleted all driver backups, all restores points except the latest one and Windows update backups but still I didn't have enough free space
    • I then spent over an hour uninstalling Windows updates until I finally had 11.6 GB free which was enough to do a Refresh.

After the Refresh I installed only the Important Windows updates NO Optional
    I installed only the important Asus updates, I keep copies of these on my 500GB HD then I checked with Asus Live Update and only the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework update was needed

I have only installed the following to the C drive:
    AutoHotKey 8.78 MB
    Daum PotPlayer 63.2 MB
    FreeFileSync 43.9
    Mozilla FireFox 82.9 MB
    WinRAR 4.05 MB
    Total: 203 MB

Portable Software folder 146 MB
    Software Extras (skins etc) folder 3 MB

Documents, Spreadsheets etc 44 MB
    Pictures 54 MB

The total size of all I have put on the C drive is only 450 MB
    The Free Space on the C drive is only 8.87 GB
    How am I supposed to do a Reset in the future when 11.6 GB free space is needed ?

Are your figures similar, are you running out of space through no fault of your own
    I know there are some updates I could probably do without but my point is I have done what Microsoft wants me to do (keep updated) and this is my reward.
    If these updates keep filling up my C drive I will eventually be forced to install Linux

I have attached a TreeSize image and as you can see about 21 GB is 'essential' Windows stuff not leaving much space for me

TreeSize 2015-01-27.PNG
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 01-27-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
    rickscheller likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    FrillybitsBits experience is another reason I completely turned Windows updates off. I have 4 WinBook TW700's which only come with a 16GB eMMC, where currently I have about 2GB-4GB of free space on each one. I got tired of Windows eating up all my free space with all these updates where I don't see any added benefit. Also, half the updates when I look at them say "Security Update for Internet Explorer" and since I don't use IE, I'm not buying those updates.

It seems like free space on tablets is at a premium, and Microsoft is doing all they can to snatch it all up lately.
    rickscheller likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Frilly... that's ironic because about a week before I had the issues (FYI, I've become less sure the six updates caused the issue), I noticed my free space was under 2GB. ACCKKKK where did it all go?

I uninstalled a bunch of Windows Store apps (maybe 10) that I'd downloaded and really never used. That only gained me about 220MB? I ran CCleaner which gained back about 500MB. After poking around, I saw that my automatic Windows recovery was set to 50% of free space and I changed that to 20% then after deleting all but the last recovery and doing some other housekeeping, I had gotten back to about 15GB free. All that was before I did the refresh.

I'm away from my T100, so I'm not sure where I'm at right now after the refresh but I'll update this post with that info later.
    Caster likes this.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    with Rick, I had also moved the slider to 2% (1.22 GB) when I got it and that's it, used currently 384 MB, but true, it uses alot of space, plus on these portable devices, it's just too much to handle later on if you ignore it .
    rickscheller likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    with Rick, I had also moved the slider to 2% (1.22 GB) when I got it and that's it, used currently 384 MB, but true, it uses alot of space, plus on these portable devices, it's just too much to handle later on if you ignore it .
    How much space does (should) a system restore point consume? Anybody know? Can 2% of the free space (total space) really be enough?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links