Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    How much space does (should) a system restore point consume? Anybody know? Can 2% of the free space (total space) really be enough?
    Ofcourse it can, it needs at least 300 MB of free space on each disk that is 500 MB or larger, it won't run if your HDD is lower then 1 GB. Here's an MS article for a little more info !

How much disk space does System Restore require?
    rickscheller likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Thanks Caster... I wonder how my restore "max usage" got set to 50% of the HDD? That clobbered my free space.

It sounds like the math should be simple then... if a restore point consumes 300MB and you want to keep five restore points, you would need 1.5GB of restore space... right? Now you just have to make sure you keep 1.5GB free on the HDD. If this is so important, why does the "computer" not notify the user if that's not attainable... right? Why does it not work that easily?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Thanks Caster... I wonder how my restore "max usage" got set to 50% of the HDD? That clobbered my free space.

It sounds like the math should be simple then... if a restore point consumes 300MB and you want to keep five restore points, you would need 1.5GB of restore space... right? Now you just have to make sure you keep 1.5GB free on the HDD. If this is so important, why does the "computer" not notify the user if that's not attainable... right? Why does it not work that easily?
    Your welcome , True the OS is basically giving you a customized option, hence the percentage along with Space of it being in use in my T100TA case 2% is 1.22GB, which means it will fill up this much percent of your HDD with System Restore point's, however way it can in your space allotted or so forth, by doing it's math as above, 50% meaning half of your HDD is saving up Restore Points which is not recommended mainly because it takes up alot of your disk space. What it does is if required, it will clear out any older system restore point's from the space provided, and save new ones as in overwrite them but make sure you have something of the latest when it's running out of space in windows.

You can safely assume 300MB+ is what a system restore point will need and by 2% (1.22Gb) allotted you are making sure, at least 3 points if used 400MB will be there for sure when required. Like below,

My Asus T100TA,
    I have used 395.36MB out of 2% (1.22GB) for a restore, smaller hdd smaller cap.

2015-01-27 20_38_43-System.png

My Asus G750JZ,
    I have used 4.5GB out of 10% (10GB) for a restore, bigger hdd, bigger cap.

2015-01-27 21_22_23-[FYI] Diary of a weird Windows problem - Page 2.png
    rickscheller likes this.
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Thanks again... now for the final question, can restore points be saved to another storage device (or manually copied) before deleting?
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Well unfortunately you can't change it's location, because every drive has a System Protection, meaning you can enable it on that particular drive or turn if off, you can however copy them manually where ever you wish, but you will need to move them back to the original location for System to register them as restore points. When you enable a System protection on a drive, it saves the restore points on a hidden system folder in that particular drive which is 'System Volume Information', this folder is hidden and can be seen only if you check 'Show Hidden Files/Folders' & uncheck 'Hide System Protected Files' in Folder Options under control panel, normal Administrative Rights, will simply give you an access denied, hence you would then need to take ownership of this particular folder to go inside even to copy the files.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I'm home now... one problem I see is my "user" folder has about 22GB of stuff. What is odd is that I have a folder called SkyDrive and a folder called OneDrive and there content is nearly identical. OneDrive has four jpg files that OneDrive does not. Do I need both of these? Can I uninstall the SkyDrive folder and the Skydrive app since MS switched to OneDrive?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Got rid of SkyDrive, ran disk clean up and chkdsk... all went OK. Now I'm back up to 23GB free.
    Caster likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times

System Image Backup

Thanks again... now for the final question, can restore points be saved to another storage device (or manually copied) before deleting?
    Since you have your T100 at a good point at the moment might I suggest creating a System Image Backup that you can install in the future as a starting point rather than going through the whole Refresh saga again.
    Windows only keeps one copy of a System Image Backup so don't create it on the T100 keyboard harddrive as it will be overwritten if you want to make another in the future. If you have an external HardDrive you should be able to create it on that and then it won't be overwritten unless you want to.

System Image Backup can be found @
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History
    Click on System Image Backup (bottom left)

I did this with my old XP using Paragon backup, the image only contained the OS and necessary updates, it was a great starting point when I needed to 'start again'
    That external harddrive was also where I kept copies of the latest (good) version of my installed software so I didn't have to download everything again.
    But, I mostly use portable software and the portable software folder was always backed up so it just needed to be copied to the C drive later

Good luck
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 01-27-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Extra Info
    rickscheller and Caster like this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    I'm home now... one problem I see is my "user" folder has about 22GB of stuff. What is odd is that I have a folder called SkyDrive and a folder called OneDrive and there content is nearly identical. OneDrive has four jpg files that OneDrive does not. Do I need both of these? Can I uninstall the SkyDrive folder and the Skydrive app since MS switched to OneDrive?
    Which comes back to my first post , saying there might have been something with your profile, that was just a guess but I think there might be more to it. Having a 'System Image Backup' is another good idea from the old days as Frilly says to have a full image backup, like you do with your rooted Android taking a full nandroid backup full of OS including everything on it. At least have that to go back to a stable state too with all drivers intact, plus you should also create a separate recovery drive to reset too as well for your current state just to have these two in case of a disaster like before to be more safe. You can safely delete the SkyDrive folder, which you don't need now as MS uses OneDrive now. However just to be more safer, have a look on any other PC if any, where you use your MS profile, the same one you use on your T100 to see if there are some SkyDrive folders just to be clear whatever happened here, if profile related didn't touch base there too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Rick, just curious why you didn't just go to a restore point when you started having problems after the update?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links