Thread: Techniques to maximise space on a T100 32gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Techniques to maximise space on a T100 32gb

I bought a Transformer Book T100 for my wife, the 32GB model Win 8.1, with a 64 GB Micro SD Card, can any apps be installed to this card, if not, it's going to be pretty much a wasted effort it would appear. Thanks

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    When installing apps, if it provides you with a location prompt, use the SD card as the location. They will install what they can to the SD card. Some support files will need to be on the system drive.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I am aware of that option, but apps I installed from the Microsoft store didn't give me that option, and since there is not much free space on the machine, I am afraid the system memory is going to get full. Thanks

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroadertwo View Post
    I am aware of that option, but apps I installed from the Microsoft store didn't give me that option, and since there is not much free space on the machine, I am afraid the system memory is going to get full. Thanks
    The MS Store presently only supports installing to the main drive... You'd have to get and install desktop apps to get the option to choose to install to a SD card, mainly not a option for the Modern/Metro apps at the moment...

Though, you could try changing the default installation location by creating a symbolic link to the SD card... System will think it's installing to the main drive but would really be using the SD Card... Just note you won't be able to remove the SD card in this set up, the card has to be formatted NTFS, and such links can be unstable... So create a backup after you're done in case you need to restore otherwise you'd have to set up everything again from scratch...

Your other alternatives is to try to change the install to a WIMBoot type... it'll give you some more free space to work with by keeping most of the install compressed but requires more long term maintenance on your part... and you can change non-critical folder locations to the SD Card... So all downloads can be sent to the SD Card, etc. to help keep the main drive free and get a app like CCleaner to help automate getting rid of junk files as they accumulate...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    If I had $1 for every time someone complained or squirmed to get around the 32GB model storage issues on these forums, I'd easily have several hundred dollars. I really think Asus blew it big time by even having the 32GB model. 64GB is the sweet spot.

To the OP here, if you can, return the 32GB model and get a 64GB model.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    ASUS is far from the only Windows 8 tablet that comes in a 32GB model and they all are experiencing the same issue. 32GB just isn't enough, period.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Just curious, which Window store apps are others installing which require so much storage space to install? Most of the Window store apps that I have installed seem to be in the less than 50MB size each range. That's been my experience with Android apps as well. For full programs that come with their own installer and come in the 500MB+ capacities, such as office Pro, Photoshop CC, etc I install those to my micro SD card.

I recently purchased some WinBook tablets which only have 16GB of storage space which use the WinBoot install of Win 8.1. They come with about 6GB of free space where the T100 32GB comes with about 10GB of free space after Windows updates and I find even after I install Windows updates and install all the Windows Apps from the store, I typically use, I find I still have about 2-3GB of free space available.

Obviously, others must be installing some pretty big apps from the Windows store that I'm not. Was just curious to understand what those were.

It also baffles me as to why so many buy the 32GB model when the Price difference is only about $25 between the 64GB model? It's not like Apple who charges another $100 each time you double the on board memory. The only logical reasons I have come up with is that either they were unaware the 64GB model existed, it wasn't available at the store of purchase or some parent purchased the 32GB model for their kid and the kid is now upset that they're unable to install 5 games from the Windows store which take up 1-3GB of space each.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 12-28-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Not everyone is using only Windows Store apps, for starters. One of my systems is a very lean system used primarily for a stand-alone Windows 8.1 system. It is currently using 42GB of disk space and is as cleaned up as a system can get, no fluff.

I really have only installed 10 desktop apps that took all that space, (outside of the system files). There is almost nothing in the way of documents. That system doesn't even have Outlook installed. I have a few customers with 15GB or more of local PST files on their systems.

So what's taking up space besides Windows?
    Office 2013
    LogMeIn
    Google Earth
    Leap Motion software
    A program called IBP, used for Internet SEO promotion.
    PDF Reader
    Firefox
    A NAS utility called Finder
    A backup program for imaging the system to the NAS

No temp files, all removable prior updates cleaned. It really doesn't take much to use 42GB. Individually none of those programs look like they would take up anywhere near that much room but it's the data. If you need to work on it off-line you don't have a lot of options.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Hi Leeshor,

I understand what you're saying but the majority of the apps you listed are what I'm categorizing as full programs which come with their own installer and thus give you the option to install to another location other than the on board C: Drive. Thus, you have the capability to install those programs to a separate micro SD card which doesn't share the same space as Windows. Typically, Windows store apps don't give you that option to install to a different location and that's what I'm wondering about.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I bought a Transformer Book T100 for my wife, the 32GB model Win 8.1, with a 64 GB Micro SD Card, can any apps be installed to this card, if not, it's going to be pretty much a wasted effort it would appear. Thanks
    Since the original intent of your thread has been hijacked... I have retitled it more accurately for its content and will direct you to our T100 FAQs section where you will find a number of guide threads which will help you achieve some of what you are looking to do.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links