Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Asus T100TAM new version? Discussion thread - changes, improvements..

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Thread title updated & enhanced.
    Thread stuck.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    No gps in mine.
    yeah, i kinda guess that before you replied too as soon as i saw it was equipped with a z3775 and 64gb storage. Seems like for now the only t100 with gps are the t100taf series with z3735 and 32 gb storage. what a pity... since the t100taf is priced as high or slightly higher than other t100 with only 32gb storage and z3735 only....

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times

T100TAM 64GB no wimboot?!@#

I suppose this is an appropriate thread to discuss lack of wimboot on the 64gb model (T100TAM-C1-GM). I can't comment on the 32GB or 32gb/500GB hd as I don't own either of those.

The question is why did Asus omit configuring the device with wimboot to begin with? The space savings are considerable. At the end of the day with a stock config you're left with only 35 or 36GB of free space. The C volume does come pre-encrypted with bitlocker. I suppose there's some value in that if the device is lost or stolen. MS does not recommend using bitlocker with wimboot due to performance issues. Makes sense, there is slight overhead already in decompressing content as needed, adding encryption would add more overhead.

Anything thoughts?

PS: I'll have exact free space numbers after I finish changing the configuration on mine from standard install to wimboot.
    T100TAM 64GB, Bios v205

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    The question is why did Asus omit configuring the device with wimboot to begin with?
    Because it adds a little overhead to the system... working from a compressed file requires the system to work a little harder and thus it's mainly seen as a trade off to get the system workable under very limited drive capacities of 32GB or less... The extra overhead is small but with limited eMMC drive performance and many people pushing these systems to the max that every bit counts...

Though, like you already know, that doesn't mean you can't just convert the system to a WIMBoot configuration yourself... There's already a topic on it, though, you do have to look elsewhere for specific instructions...

While, it may be better to do the conversion yourself anyway as it seems many OEMs aren't making full use of the WIMBoot setup and some people are still complaining of limited drive space...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    ^^Right, the overhead is a small trade off for more space. Seems the extra space of the 64GB model is negated by not taking advantage of wimboot.

There's a few caveats to transitioning the device from standard to wimboot. After trying a few different ways, i'm going to forget entirely about a generalized version of the wimboot image as that method loses any custom drivers or other system optimization. I'm not familiar enough with automated windows deployment to reintegrate all the factory changes back in. Not quite the same thing as installing windows from scratch via installation media.

Instead, will skip the whole sysprep process entirely to generate an image unique to this device. That will yield quicker restores/recovery if/when needed.

I do wonder if performance is truly the only reason. After all, doesn't the 32GB version make use of wimboot. It's identical hardware except for amount of storage space.
    T100TAM 64GB, Bios v205

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    7 times
    there is really no reason why any standard windows installation should be more than 15gb even without wimboot. On mine, a clean regular win8.1 enterprise install uses about 9gb. Added in office 2k7, classic shell, daemontools, imageburn, winrar, mpc-hc, do-pdf printer, and a few more progs i consider a must have this totals about slighly more than 12gb. I don't enable the swap file on mine as mine have 2gb ram which works ok for most of time except for occasionally IE wants more mem. Even with a 1gb swap file along with a 1.5gb hibernation file i can stay under 15gb.

After configured for wimboot, the total space used by recovery and c: drive for me is around 8gb not counting the 1.5gb hibernation file or 1gb swap file.

So i think if you are using more than 1/2 of a 64gb drive there's definitely a lot of junks that can be get rid off.....

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Wildpig, my numbers above reflect a fairly empty configuration following a system reset, no junk, no office (although the included office installation files are present), just win 8 and a single user profile. That's just the way asus configures these. I should have my wimboot completed sometime this week and will post before/after numbers.
    T100TAM 64GB, Bios v205

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    I do wonder if performance is truly the only reason. After all, doesn't the 32GB version make use of wimboot. It's identical hardware except for amount of storage space.
    Also, long term support... WIMBoot requires periodically updating the image, otherwise all the updates will take up a lot of space and won't be compressed and ditto for keeping the WIMBoot image viable for restoring the system without having to redo all the updates... So, any device that may require long term support makes WIMBoot a less desirable option for the OEMs...

While WIMBoot is only default for newer devices, the original T100 and other older models still have the original installation type and the T100 has a separate 8GB storage for the recovery partition... but refurbished and newer models with 32GB or less now use WIMBoot, or at least a WIMBoot based installation as not all properly set it up to maximize free space...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Updates.. Completely forgot about them. You don't want to know when I last updated my desktop pc Needless to say it's been running exceptionally well the past 2 years with no viri or other issues. Last reboot was nearly 3 months ago. Agreed though, for someone that stays up to date on updates, they will have to tend to keeping the image updated too. Same dilemma with the 32GB models too.
    T100TAM 64GB, Bios v205

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tale419 View Post
    yes this one! I know it's been out for a while now but I wanted to see pictures from people who actually own it. My T100TA is great but it has this issue where it keeps wanting to turn off by itself. So I was debating on getting another T100TA or the newer one with brushed metal.
    My TAM is not the same as the one shown in your link. It has 64GB eMMC.

I saw that review before I got mine, then looked it up on Asus website & noticed the differences. Got mine yesterday & it's as shown here:
    Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS Transformer Book T100TAM - ASUS
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 01-08-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links