Thread: Forum Suggestion on T100 Information

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times

Forum Suggestion on T100 Information

I've been observing a lot of responses to forum questions where the 1st response is asking for the OPs T100 info or linking them to this stickied post:
    ALL T100 THREADS - Please read prior to posting/asking for help. Thread Protocols.

While I understand the importance of this information in helping others trying to help, I also find this a tad annoying and also feel if I was a new forum member looking for assistance, I may be initially turned off by this. In other words, it wouldn't encourage me to post more if I was met with that kind of response when I'm already dealing with some kind of frustration that it lead me to this forum to look for a solution.

So I've been thinking of ways which might be more beneficial to both sides. When looking at the original forum direction in the sticky thread, I'm thinking of how much of a PIA that it would be to look up my system specs, model#, etc. and to do that every time I had a question seems a bit discouraging. I find it's actually discouraging for myself to start a new thread and I've been a member of this forum for awhile.

The sticky post is locked and not open for discussion and Janner43 has his PMs box shut off to be able to post a suggestion, so that's why I've decided to create this new suggestion thread to discuss further with the Mods and other forum members.

Here's the information recommend:
    Model number - eg T100TAS, T100TAM or whatever...
    CPU - eg Z3740 or Z3775 or whatever...
    Size of memory - 32Gb, 64Gb, 500Gb HDD in dock or whatever...
    System BIOS number
    Windows version
    Location (USA, Canada, UK, Australia etc.) to assist in recommendations for accessories, for example.

I would like to suggest instead of having to post this information at the beginning of every new question, to suggest to the OP to update their signature with that information. So that information is available for whoever wants to read it, and the OP doesn't have to remember to post this information every time they decide to make a post. It's also annoying reading a thread discussion and having to read through system specs before you get to the actual question.

It would also be a good idea to give the steps on how to edit your signature as well. It took me a good 20 minutes of digging around in my profile and clicking on my username before I decided to press the "Settings" button and scroll down to the left to find where I finally found a link to edit my signature.

So, I now updated my signature to show an example of what I'm suggesting.

Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 11-22-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    eejit likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    While I tend to agree with you, members have been asked to add that info to their signatures with very little success. The same applies to asking members to add their model to their profile, which I note is not in yours.

And on a side note your signature exceeds the 5 line forum guidelines.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I agree with leeshor - we have asked and asked and to be honest, why shouldn't we?

At the end of the day the number of threads that have become confused because members are talking at cross purposes because of the variety of T100 models not only in total, but between countries is quite marked. And this is an international forum.

However, the idea to either have the required information in the opening paragraph or in the members signature is not a bad one & I have updated the sticky to include both options.

One way to reduce the size of your signature, by the way, would be to simply add your location to your side profile via your profile settings (which is exactly how to add a signature as well) rather than unnecessarily listing that in your signature.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    While I tend to agree with you, members have been asked to add that info to their signatures with very little success. The same applies to asking members to add their model to their profile, which I note is not in yours.

And on a side note your signature exceeds the 5 line forum guidelines.
    Thanks for the comments. I think some of these things fall under necessary forum software improvements and shouldn't fall on to the shoulders of the users, where the users become expected to read through multiple topics on forum guidelines before they consider seeking the information they're actually here for.

For example, as you mentioned, my profile didn't have my model posted in it but when I joined this forum, when I was presented to add that info, the T100 wasn't even included in the drop down list selections, so I selected "Windows Other" but it seems to fall on my responsibility to go back and update it now that the tablet selection list has caught up with the available forums. In other words, when I joined there was a T100 forum, but not a T100 Tablet selection when filling out my profile. (Now fixed). Another thing is the Tablet selection list is pretty confusing, you see a list which includes TF700, TF200, then the T100 falls under "TF Book T100" where most reference the T100 as well...."T100" or "T100TA" and this forum is the only time I've seen it referenced as a "TF Book".

For the 5 line limit (now fixed thanks for letting me know), again there's an obvious reason to reduce the number of lines for politeness and thread readability, but the forum doesn't instruct you of that guideline as you're editing your signature and it doesn't prevent me from entering more than 5 lines and when I look at your signature I see more than 5 lines, so if a forum member looks at a mod's signature as a reference guideline then you see a double standard in that you're being instructed to do one thing, while mods don't follow the same set of guidelines. I'm not trying to be argumentative and just mention this for open discussion. I understand there is a good reason for a mod to have more than 5 lines, so they can point someone to multiple links in their signature for solutions, but if that is the case then that should fall under a mod privileged of the forum and standard users are limited to 5 lines by the forum software. I noticed I was limited to 500 characters, so it seems to have a limiting capability.

Overall, I get the feeling there are a lot of improvements which could take place with the forum software to help in assisting the forum guidelines. Personally I feel the "Settings" button on the forum should not include the links to edit profile information where those items should fall under the "My Profile" button. I think that's a factor as to why this forum may not be having much success in getting more people to fill out these guideline for their profile such as their signature and information that displays under a members avatar. When I think of forum "Settings" I tend to think of how threads are displayed and the overall look/feel of the forum. When I think of "My Profile" I tend to think of items available to edit under my profile personal information.

When you instruct someone to go update their profile to include certain information, as a forum member my initial thinking is to go to "My Profile" because you just asked me to go update my profile. You didn't instruct me to go update my "Settings". So the way the forum is currently set up, it is not helping the guidelines you're trying to get others to follow.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 11-22-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I've been observing a lot of responses to forum questions where the 1st response is asking for the OPs T100 info or linking them to this stickied post:
    ALL T100 THREADS - Please read prior to posting/asking for help. Thread Protocols.

While I understand the importance of this information in helping others trying to help, I also find this a tad annoying and also feel if I was a new forum member looking for assistance, I may be initially turned off by this. In other words, it wouldn't encourage me to post more if I was met with that kind of response when I'm already dealing with some kind of frustration that it lead me to this forum to look for a solution.

So I've been thinking of ways which might be more beneficial to both sides. When looking at the original forum direction in the sticky thread, I'm thinking of how much of a PIA that it would be to look up my system specs, model#, etc. and to do that every time I had a question seems a bit discouraging. I find it's actually discouraging for myself to start a new thread and I've been a member of this forum for awhile.

The sticky post is locked and not open for discussion and Janner43 has his PMs box shut off to be able to post a suggestion, so that's why I've decided to create this new suggestion thread to discuss further with the Mods and other forum members.

Here's the information recommend:
    System BIOS number
    Windows version
    Location (USA, Canada, UK, Australia etc.) to assist in recommendations for accessories, for example.

I would like to suggest instead of having to post this information at the beginning of every new question, to suggest to the OP to update their signature with that information. So that information is available for whoever wants to read it, and the OP doesn't have to remember to post this information every time they decide to make a post. It's also annoying reading a thread discussion and having to read through system specs before you get to the actual question.

It would also be a good idea to give the steps on how to edit your signature as well. It took me a good 20 minutes of digging around in my profile and clicking on my username before I decided to press the "Settings" button and scroll down to the left to find where I finally found a link to edit my signature.

So, I now updated my signature to show an example of what I'm suggesting.

Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?
    Like this You mean ;-)
    Poul

T100TA DK024H - Z3775 - 64Gb
    PNY 128Gb mSD
    BIOS 307 - Win10 Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

Personally I feel the "Settings" button on the forum should not include the links to edit profile information where those items should fall under the "My Profile" button.

When I think of "My Profile" I tend to think of items available to edit under my profile personal information.

When you instruct someone to go update their profile to include certain information, as a forum member my initial thinking is to go to "My Profile" because you just asked me to go update my profile.
    You can update your profile either through the settings option or via "my profile." My Profile>About Me>Press on "pencil" to edit your entry:

22 November, 2014 33833 PM PST.png

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    You can update your profile either through the settings option or via "my profile." My Profile>About Me>Press on "pencil" to edit your entry:
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it also shows the signature in the section you just posted under "My Profile", but I can't edit My signature in that same section. Thus, you just proved my point. It's confusing and doesn't make much logical sense. The Signature is personal information specific to the user, it's not a forum setting.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 11-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it also shows the signature in the section you just posted under "My Profile", but I can't edit My signature in that same section. Thus, you just proved my point. It's confusing and doesn't make much logical sense. The Signature is personal information specific to the user, it's not a forum setting.
    Personally, when I joined the forum back in October 2011 when I bought my TF101 - the first forum I had ever joined - I didn't find any of those sort of settings unintuitive or difficult to find.

I read the forum rules before posting & had a signature linking to other areas on this forum ( because back then they were the only links allowed) long before most moderators did & long before I joined the team.

Leeshor & I are responsible for writing the overwhelming majority of guides & guide threads that are here even though we are both volunteers & this forum was the first one we joined the staff on. This forum has grown & developed organically in the past 3 years completely through the efforts of the volunteer mod team & a handful of keen members.

You may want to observe inconsistencies that exist in your mind, but vBulletin is an almost ubiquitous piece of third party forum software & one that millions use globally every day quite successfully.

So, while we greatly value constructive help & contributions, some things are not in our control & at the end of the day we are here just as you are - we don't have to be and we are not salaried, benefitted or compensated for our time & efforts in any way.

All the best
    leeshor likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Three things...

Asus has wayyyy toooooo many models, wayyyy too many.
    The membership here is amazing, Rednroll (and this post) is a fine example.
    Swipe is from Vancouver...and seems to have no interests....or occupation.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Thanks for all the responses and feedback. I think we may be getting to some of the source of the problems.

Let me quote some of the comments and summarize what I'm observing from my point of view in this discussion.

1st off, let's start with what is being requested as reference.

Quote Originally Posted by janner43
    We now have some experience in dealing with all the different models that are available in the T100 model range. Because there are now many variants, the dedicated Z3775 section has been closed (it only had 11 threads) and the threads moved into the T100 General Discussion area. The Z3775 General "chit chat" thread is retained as a sticky thread.

Because of the number of models there are, please ensure that all new threads are posted with the following information either...

in your forum signature (remembering the 5 line signature maximum), or
    in the opening paragraph of the first post.

System BIOS number
    Windows version

Posts that do not follow this protocol will not get the answers you are looking for and may even be ignored by other forum members as correct answers to questions and any advice offered, will be predicated upon that essential information that is listed above.
    When I read this forum guideline request, I observe 3 very big assumptions are being made in the request.
    1. The forum member knows how to find the information on their T100 being requested.
    2. The forum member knows how to edit their signature and profile on this forum to be able to enter this information.
    3. If the forum member doesn't know how to perform either #1 or #2, they will do their due diligence and spend time in figuring out how to do both.

Now, for any of the mods on this forum, I will also make an assumption that most everyone of them is smart enough and tech savvy enough to know how to do those items.

Cases in point from the statements made:

Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Personally, when I joined the forum back in October 2011 when I bought my TF101 - the first forum I had ever joined - I didn't find any of those sort of settings unintuitive or difficult to find.
    And with those assumptions in the guidelines, we observe the following efforts being made:

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Leeshor & I are responsible for writing the overwhelming majority of guides & guide threads that are here even though we are both volunteers & this forum was the first one we joined the staff on. This forum has grown & developed organically in the past 3 years completely through the efforts of the volunteer mod team & a handful of keen members.
    And with all those efforts, we are observing the following results:
    While I tend to agree with you, members have been asked to add that info to their signatures with very little success. The same applies to asking members to add their model to their profile
    So the net result has become, there is a lot of time and effort spent that results in wasted time and effort because the end results are not achieved.

Therefore the real question becomes, how do we turn that time and effort spent, into something more valuable so it has a better chance to achieve the results that wish to be achieved?

My recommendation is that a little more effort be spent to eliminate the assumptions by adding the following in the guideline being requested.
    1. Provide the steps of instructing the forum member of where they need to look to find the requested information.
    2. Provide some steps of how to access the settings in their profile to update that information.

Otherwise you have a strong case of what I had observed as a forum member which I posted in my 1st post on this discussion where the statement I made seemed to be overlooked because the assumption was again made that I was either an idiot, or this is so obvious it shouldn't need to be spelled out. Since that does seem to be the assumption, then don't expect any other forum member running into the same situation as I noted, to point it out, because nobody wants to feel like they're an idiot.

Thus with a high probability that not everyone will go through the steps that I did to find it....and the results will be?
    members have been asked to add that info to their signatures with very little success
    Last edited by Rednroll; 11-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links