TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times

Newbie looking to do Painting and Art on the T100

Model: T100TA
    CPU: Intel A3775
    64 GB
    Win 8.1

So, I see there are threads on styli and Corel Draw that hit on this, but as a newbie I thought a more general thread about using art programs and apps on the T100 might be helpful. Here's my situation: I'm liking my T100 for my own needs, but now I'm thinking about getting something for my wife, the artist in the house, and I'm wondering where to go. So, here are some general questions:
    1) Is the T100 generally serviceable for painting, drawing, that sort of thing, at least at an entry level? (My wife is not an entry-level artist, though, so the programs and apps can't be too basic; but we don't need something that will let us draw frames for Pixar or anything like that).
    1a) From what I gather, a Wacom type stylus is what you need to paint and draw, but some people seem to be frustrated in terms of trying to find such a stylus for the T100. Can you do decent painting/drawing without a Wacom stylus? Or is there a Wacom stylus (or something similar) that works well with the T100?
    2) If so, what programs and apps are the most highly recommended? I think some high quality paint programs might be a good starting point. She may want some graphics design stuff, too (I'm such a bumpkin when it comes to art, I'm not even entirely sure what I'm looking for; sorry).
    3) If not, what devices (tablet or hybrid) would you recommend? Is there an operating system (Windows 8[.1] vs. Android vs. iOS) better suited for the artist working on a tablet/hybrid? The Surface Pro seems to be the first choice, but we don't have much in our budget. How are the Asus Vivo Tab and the Samsung Galaxy Note? I've read that the iPad leaves something to be desired as far as painting/art; is this true? Any other recommendations?
    I realize that this is a cascade of questions. Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by HJKeener; 11-10-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding specifications

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Hi again...

Please update your post as follows...

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    We now have some experience in dealing with all the different models that are available in the T100 model range. Because there are now many variants, the dedicated Z3775 section has been closed (it only had 11 threads) and the threads moved into the T100 General Discussion area. The Z3775 General "chit chat" thread is retained as a sticky thread.

Because of the number of models there are, please ensure that all new threads are posted with the following information in the opening paragraph of the first post.

• Model number - eg T100TAS, T100TAM or whatever...
    • CPU - eg Z3740 or Z3775 or whatever...
    • Size of memory - 32Gb, 64Gb, 500Gb HDD in dock or whatever...
    • System BIOS number
    • Windows version

Posts that do not follow this protocol will not get the answers you are looking for and may even be ignored by other forum members as correct answers to questions and any advice offered, will be predicated upon that essential information that is listed above.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Having said that, Samsung do lead the field as far as I am aware with their devices that have their own stylus supplied with them. That seems to be a very good combination from that point of view.

As far as iOS is concerned, I don't think that styluses are that successful with iPads - but I'm not 100% certain. I do know that photo & video editing/manipulation on iOS is excellent - I don't think there is a better suite of apps than the Adobe range (they might be available on Android as well and they are certainly available on Windows) but iMovie (Apples own on iOS) is outstanding.

I know that doesn't correspond to painting & drawing, but there are a number of superb apps that provide those tools on iOS as well. I just don't do that sort of thing - you'll need SculptedStylus' advice - he has excellent pedigree in art related matters.

I suggest Google searches for "best painting apps INSERT OS HERE" "best drawing apps INSERT OS HERE" for IOS, Android & Windows as a starting point.
    rickscheller likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Having said that, Samsung do lead the field as far as I am aware with their devices that have their own stylus supplied with them. That seems to be a very good combination from that point of view.

As far as iOS is concerned, I don't think that styluses are that successful with iPads - but I'm not 100% certain. I do know that photo & video editing/manipulation on iOS is excellent - I don't think there is a better suite of apps than the Adobe range (they might be available on Android as well and they are certainly available on Windows) but iMovie (Apples own on iOS) is outstanding.

I know that doesn't correspond to painting & drawing, but there are a number of superb apps that provide those tools on iOS as well. I just don't do that sort of thing - you'll need SculptedStylus' advice - he has excellent pedigree in art related matters.

I suggest Google searches for "best painting apps INSERT OS HERE" "best drawing apps INSERT OS HERE" for IOS, Android & Windows as a starting point.
    Thanks for the helpful input. Off to work now. Will update with the relevant info later.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    From what I've discerned at these forums over the last year, the T100 would not be an acceptable tablet candidate for any true artist to use.

I'd suggest doing what janner43 suggested and do a Google search. I did and there's tons of info out there. In fact if my wife was an artist and serious about using a graphics tablet, I'd let my wife do the research. Don't be surprised at a $1,000+ price though.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Actually your best bet is the Surface pro if you are looking at doing drawing/art. From most reviews and feedback I have read, it has one of the best pressure sensitive digitizers of any tablet. Samsung is resonably good, but most of their tablets are not pressure sensitive active digitizers, so you'd need to do careful research to figure out which ones DO have it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I'm not an artist but the OPs' question perked my interest in this subject and with limited investigation (I'm at work), most reviews lead to the Wacom family of tablets. The Cintiq 13HD is $999 but looks really nice.

While I was at the Wacom site, I read about Wacom graphic software (available for all the major platforms) called Bamboo Paper, so I downloaded it to my Asus ME400C tablet (T100 sister) and at first glance, from a novice perspective, it's pretty cool.

So, to the OP, might want to download Bamboo Paper on your T100 and let your wife play with it and see if it interests her.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Here's an Asus tablet that might be of interest to you :

Tablets & Mobile - ASUS VivoTab Note 8 (M80TA) - ASUS

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Hi HJ, I am an artist and have used the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, Note 8, and the Note 4 (my phone). I now use the Note 8 for drawing, having given my 10.1 to a friend. I just prefer the smaller tablet size. They all have excellent pressure sensitive styli using Wacom technology. These tablets are all excellent choices for an artist, although they are a little pricy. I don't have any experience with Swipe's suggestion of the Asus VivoTab Note 8, but you sure can't beat that price, $230 for a tablet with Wacom's pressure sensitive technology! You might want to compare the specs of the Asus vs the Galaxy Notes, and see which one you prefer. I think either one would be a good fit for your wife, although, if you wife is a heavy Adobe Photoshop user, the Asus might be the better choice...and a heck of a lot cheaper!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    Thanks, all!
    I've added some of the requested info.
    My understanding is that a Wacom tablet is not so much a tablet-PC, but a drawing tablet that you connect to a PC of some sort--sort of like a fancy monitor that you can draw on. Is this correct?
    In any event, there are several reasons I'm wanting to do the hard work of researching and making the purchase. Hey, it's her birthday--I want to get her something nice that I know she'll like, not stress her out by making her do the hard work of learning tech-talk and comparing specs and shopping around.
    And that kind of leads into why I'm looking for something entry-level in price and functionality, but still pretty good. If I can get her something to tinker with, then she can get a better idea of what she wants so that, down the road when we have more disposable income saved away, she can make an informed decision more easily. If that makes sense. That's very often how I learn about things for major purchases--find something of pretty good quality but inexpensive, and then use that experience to make informed decisions about larger investments.
    Last edited by HJKeener; 11-10-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links