Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Newbie looking to do Painting and Art on the T100

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    But, then again, it is a Dell, which makes me cringe somewhat.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    I found my own answers.
    The Dell stylus is synaptic, and according to this review, has problems:
    Review Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
    Also, I was wrong; the Dell Venue 8 Pro does not have a HDMI port. And I believe the Vivotab Note 8 has Glonass, full GPS, whereas the Dell Venue 8 Pro only has AGPS, and it would be great to use this device for offline navigation; but I may be wrong on several counts here.

So, it looks like I'll wait longer before springing for anything. It looks like it will be the Asus Vivotab Note 8, but the 64 GB version just jumped up in price. I don't really think you could install many programs on the 32 GB version.

But then again, can you put programs on a SD card? I'm under the impression that you can't-that the SD card is like an external drive and can only hold files. If you can install programs on that, that might be enough push me over to get the 32 GB version and buy a 64 GB micro SD card).

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HJKeener View Post
    But then again, can you put programs on a SD card?
    Traditional desktop apps can be installed anywhere the installer allows you to access during the installation process... Only the Metro/Modern apps from the MS App Store have to be installed on the "C" drive... it is possible to put at least some on the SD Card through a few technical hacks, like creating a junction point, but not by default and doesn't work as well with 8.1 as it did with the original 8 release...

Even with the Windows Phone OS, being able to install on the SD card is a new feature since WP8.1, but as they're merging all the OS platforms with Windows 10 then it likely means we may get that feature with the next Windows release... but for now it's best to consider the higher capacity offerings if you're going to be using a lot of the Modern/Metro apps... Though, with some effort you can juggle installations to only what you need at any particular time... App store makes at least that fairly manageable... and changing the installation to a WIMBoot, if the device doesn't already come configured, can free up a fair amount of space too...

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    ...whether the screen has the same Wacom tech as the Asus Vivotab Note 8. If it does, I think I may go with the Venue 8 Pro...
    It doesn't, that's why it's so inexpensive.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Traditional desktop apps can be installed anywhere the installer allows you to access during the installation process... Only the Metro/Modern apps from the MS App Store have to be installed on the "C" drive... it is possible to put at least some on the SD Card through a few technical hacks, like creating a junction point, but not by default and doesn't work as well with 8.1 as it did with the original 8 release...

Even with the Windows Phone OS, being able to install on the SD card is a new feature since WP8.1, but as they're merging all the OS platforms with Windows 10 then it likely means we may get that feature with the next Windows release... but for now it's best to consider the higher capacity offerings if you're going to be using a lot of the Modern/Metro apps... Though, with some effort you can juggle installations to only what you need at any particular time... App store makes at least that fairly manageable... and changing the installation to a WIMBoot, if the device doesn't already come configured, can free up a fair amount of space too...
    Bummer. I guess that explains why the 32 extra gigs on the 64 GB Vivotab Note 8 are worth over a hundred dollars. I'm wishing I had bought it about ten days ago. Maybe the price will come down again.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    And I'm guessing this type of funny-business (manually editing the registry--whatever that means) invalidates any warranties:
    How To Install Apps On SD Card In Windows 8
    ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    And I'm guessing this type of funny-business (manually editing the registry--whatever that means) invalidates any warranties:
    ?
    That is for Windows 8. Windows 8.1 removed that ability to move Apps from the MS App store on a card.

Installing apps on an SD card on Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-02-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    That is for Windows 8. Windows 8.1 removed that ability to move Apps from the MS App store on a card.

Microsoft sure shot themselves in the foot with the release of Win8 followed by the update to 8.1 and then 8.1.1. Add to that the fact that many users don't care or know the difference and when asked they simply say "I'm running Win8". It makes such a huge difference for trying to be helpful.
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-02-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    ?
    No, even if you potentially mess up your W8 installation it won't void the warranty... Besides, Asus tech support tends to be a one trick pony by just restoring the factory image for pretty much any problem and it's not like they deal directly with MS for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post

Yes and no, the NTFS junction point trick is different and basically tricks the system into thinking it is still installing to the same "C" directory but is really using the SD Card (or other external drive)... So it depends more on the actual app as some may not work with that trick but some do...

You just can't just change the default directory anymore with 8.1 but linking it to another is a work around that should still work most of the time... though, the SD Card has to be formatted NTFS and you can usually never remove the card unless the system is off and you have another with the same directory and format set up...

NTFS Junction points can be unstable, as the possible downside as you may need to recreate them at some point and lose whatever was in them as you'd need to re-setup the directories but you can create backups for those cases...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    So here's my update:
    1) Re: Doing art on a T100, I saw someone at the MS Store demonstrate this paint brush stylus on the T100 using Fresh Paint. For amateur purposes, I think this stylus would be really fun to play with, and works pretty well even on the T100:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sensu-Artist-B...s=sensu+stylus
    2) I have ordered the Vivotab Note 8. Anyone who is interested in doing art on a T100 type device might want to check it out and look at the forums, particularly at TabletPCReview. This is: the only Wacom penabled Windows tablet at this size (not counting some fly-by-night Chinese offerings--Pipo is one); along with the SGNote 8, only one of two Wacom penabled "consumption devices" at this size; and the only 8 inch Wacom penabled consumer tab currently in production and on an up-to-date OS. It's cheap and many users seem to love it. The bad: the Wacom screen seems to give out for most people due to poor QC by Asus, but there is an easy diy fix for that.
    3) If one wants to go for something a bit more premium but has roughly the same form factor as the T100 and is Wacom penabled, the Lenovo Thinkpad 10 looks to be an excellent choice.
    Hope this info is helpful for anyone who has considered using a T100 or similar device as a portable, high tech sketch pad or art book.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links