Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Need Help with my T100, no OS [Attempted Ubuntu install]

Hi guys. I recently got a refurb T100 a few weeks ago. It started running slow so I decided I would install Ubuntu. I did not not how difficult this would be on this device. So I have a failed installation of Ubuntu and my drive was wiped during the process, no Windows 8 anymore. How can I reinstall Windows?

Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    100 views and not one comment? Anyone please?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    If you destroyed the recovery partition... you can't!

Unless you have the 32GB model with the separate recovery drive, or previously made a recovery USB option, or have another copy of W8, it means you'd need to see if Asus will restore it for you but means sending it to them for repairs or... if, recently bought you can see if you can exchange it...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    If you destroyed the recovery partition... you can't!

Unless you have the 32GB model with the separate recovery drive, or previously made a recovery USB option, or have another copy of W8, it means you'd need to see if Asus will restore it for you but means sending it to them for repairs or... if, recently bought you can see if you can exchange it...
    I do have the 32 GB model. How do I access the recovery drive if it is there?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    When you buy a 32GB refurb, you're just asking for trouble. There is so much info to be learned on this site that should make anyone stay away from a refurb 32GB model. You're likely looking at an Asus RMA or an exchange from the seller or some other means to load Windows. I don't know if it'll help your situation but you might want to check in on our WIM install thread...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...one-tried.html
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    It is not so much the refurb as what happens to the recovery drive when you factory wipe the original system, e.g. when you resell or refurb. When you factory wipe the device while in Windows, you get a recovery partition on the C drive. The separate recovery drive apparently can't be accessed anymore. It can be hidden or I guess you can get it to show. The drive appears to be read/write and not ROM.I assume this will happen to any new 32 gb model that is factory wiped.

So before you started to install Ubuntu, you really should have made a copy of the recovery partition on a USB stick in Windows. I don't know if it will work as a real recovery as I have not tested it but that's what I did.

I suppose you could reinstall Win 8 if you knew someone with the disks or ISO download. However, you would need the license key, which I guess is in the BIOS. Don't know how you would get to that, though. So I guess you just need to buy a copy of Windows and gather up the drivers on Asus site. Unless as another poster said, you can ask for sympathy from Asus but they really don't have to do anything for you. They really should have recovery disks available for purchase, though.

I'm pretty happy with my 32 gb refurb.

Edit: Forgot about this post. Maybe it will help you:
    T100 (32gb model) - Complete rebuild/recovery script
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 10-29-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    It'll activate through the key stored in the BIOS. Not 100% sure if you'll need to input a key still for the initial install (something win 8.1 changed, you have to input a key before installing). You don't need to do that with a recovery USB drive or the recovery partition.

If you do need to input a key to get an install using a win8.1 ISO and an install USB drive you create, you can find the default key to bypass the required key, or you can edit the ISO install files so it doesn't prompt for a key for installing.

IN EITHER CASE, it will NOT activate without inputing a true valid key OR without the key stored in the BIOS. In the later case, Windows will activate given a few minutes and/or a reboot and a working internet connection after install without you having to do anything else. That is how Windows 8.1 installed and activated on my laptop (because it had a valid key, but I didn't of course have it written down).

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    That would be great if it automatically picked up the key from the BIOS. For future reference and you get an OS on the device, you can retrieve the OEM product key with third party software. It will be handy to have in these situations:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...oduct-key.html
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 10-29-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    You know what I learned a long time ago? I learned that if I want to make any drastic changes to any of my PC's....drastic for example say, maybe something as installing a different OS and not knowing if my PC will work with that OS or not? I always make a backup HDD image of my system in its working state. Then in the event anything goes wrong or unexpected in the new OS install....I can always get back to where I started.

I thought I would just share what I've learned over experience. Hindsight is 20/20 after the 1st time you do this kind of thing. Welcome to the hindsight 20/20 club. You might want to learn how to make a HDD image backup and make that a regular practice the next time you try to put a different OS on a device originally designed for Windows 8.1 use.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys. None of the above works. I only have the option to enter the bios. I tried making a Win 8 recovery usb on this pc, when I boot it requires to have windows already installed. Am I SOL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links