Thread: SSD vs Flash

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

SSD vs Flash

Just purchased a T100 and so far im really enjoying it. I had done very little research before buying as I was in a hurry and didn't realize that the one I got has Flash memory. I found afterwards that for slightly more I can get the same 32GB model I have with SSD. It however is a little lower on the speed (1.3ghz vs the 1.5 on the non-ssd model that I have). Would be worth my while to go back and return mine to pick up the SSD model for $20 some odd more?

Also apologies in advance if this isn't the correct board for this type of question.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    There's a lot of info here about the pros/CONS of the model you're considering but the decision is yours to make.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aPHAT View Post
    Just purchased a T100 and so far im really enjoying it. I had done very little research before buying as I was in a hurry and didn't realize that the one I got has Flash memory. I found afterwards that for slightly more I can get the same 32GB model I have with SSD. It however is a little lower on the speed (1.3ghz vs the 1.5 on the non-ssd model that I have). Would be worth my while to go back and return mine to pick up the SSD model for $20 some odd more?

Also apologies in advance if this isn't the correct board for this type of question.
    I think you need to be careful and actually do some homework because you seem to be getting some things mixed up. From what I know, there isn't a T100 that is built with a SSD. At least not with the most common understanding of the term "SSD". It sounds like you may be getting ready to pay more and get less for what you are expecting.

See this thread:
    [FAQ] Asus Transformer Book T100TA various models specs

ALL T100s come with onboard eMMC which is a type of flash memory, which is also a type of "SSD". SSD= Solid State Drive. So you will often see different vendors selling the T100 listing it has a built in SSD, which it technically does. However, it's not the type of "SSD" that most people associate with the most common understanding of the term "SSD".

Solid State drives are just that...they don't use mechanical spinning disk platters. A Flash memory stick is technically a SSD, a micro SD card is technically a SSD....etc.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I sort of tried to read between the lines and I think the OP was "wishing/thinking" about trading in his 32GB eMMC for the 32GB eMMC + 500GB HDD model.

I could be wrong?
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    You easily could be wrong. There is not enough info given here to allow for any good, detailed and thorough feedback. We can't even know the correctness of our answers since we don't actually know what we are being asked, as you pointed out.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    4 times
    I think OP is pretty clear.
    He bought the 32GB T100 w/ atom z3775 (base clock ~1.46ghz) --- and is considering returning it for a 32GB T100 w/ atom z3740 (base clock ~1.33ghz) instead.
    1.) because he suspects the z3775 model has flash memory while the z3740 model has an ssd.

To address reason 1...
    As rednroll noted, the SSD that's advertised with the T100 is actually eMMC flash memory. This can be confusing because SSD refers to eMMC (the small-footprint flash that you usually find in smartphones and tablets) as well as the 10x faster 2.5" SATA drives that more people are familiar with. To be clear, no T100 actually comes with a desktop-class SSD inside. The bay trail tablet SoC doesn't even have a SATA controller. All T100s have an eMMC flash module from either hynix or sandisk. No need to switch units because of this.

However , the atom z3775 model has a cpu that's about 20% faster than the z3740 (1, 2, 3, 4) because the z3775 CPU clocks are 20% higher. The z3775 GPU boost clocks are also 15% higher but the real impact may be less. In fact I haven't seen any benchmarks for graphics.

So OP, the 'SSD model' (z3740) that you were referring to (---) is actually slower
    Last edited by margroloc; 10-18-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: hurr
    DKL likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    What he said... maybe ?
    Rednroll and DKL like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    There's a lot of reading between the lines that has to be done from the OP. Thus, the reason I posted the link so the OP could possibly figure out what 2 models he's actually asking us about, instead of us having to figure it out for him with the mismatched information provided.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by margroloc View Post
    I think OP is pretty clear.
    He bought the 32GB T100 w/ atom z3740 (base clock ~1.33ghz) --- and is considering returning it for a 32GB T100 w/ atom z3775 (base clock ~1.46ghz) instead.
    1.) because he suspects the z3740 model has flash memory while the z3775 model has an ssd.
    2.) because the z3775 model is faster.

To address reason 1...
    As rednroll noted, the SSD that's advertised with the T100 is actually eMMC flash memory. This can be confusing because SSD refers to eMMC (the small-footprint flash that you usually find in smartphones and tablets) as well as the 10x faster 2.5" SATA drives that more people are familiar with. To be clear, no T100 actually comes with a desktop-class SSD inside. The bay trail tablet SoC doesn't even have a SATA controller. All T100s have an eMMC flash module from either hynix or sandisk. No need to switch units because of this.

However (reason 2), the atom z3775 model has a cpu that's about 20% faster than the z3740 (1, 2, 3, 4) because the z3775 CPU clocks are 20% higher. The z3775 GPU boost clocks are also 15% higher but the real impact may be less. In fact I haven't seen any benchmarks for graphics.

So OP, the 'SSD model' (z3775) that you were referring to is faster but only because it has a faster cpu, not because it has better storage.
    Actually, if you read the op post closely, the "ssd" model is "slower" than the one he currently has. So he has the 32 gb z3775 model and is going to the Z3740 because it was advertised as "ssd" for $20 more. Bad move. I have seen the T100TA advertised with a 32 gb ssd but as mentioned before ssd is used loosely.It is really eMMC cause it can't be upgraded like a real ssd can.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Actually, if you read the op post closely, the "ssd" model is "slower" than the one he currently has. So he has the 32 gb z3775 model and is going to the Z3740 because it was advertised as "ssd" for $20 more. Bad move. I have seen the T100TA advertised with a 32 gb ssd but as mentioned before ssd is used loosely.It is really eMMC cause it can't be upgraded like a real ssd can.
    Oops, looks like I hadn't read it closely enough. Good catch.
    Edited my post

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links