Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Asus Transformer Book T100 - overall impression?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Question Asus Transformer Book T100 - overall impression?

Hello everyone,

as recently my former netbook (eee pc) broke, I am now looking for a replacement. My experiences with the eee pc were very good, so I eventually got interested in its successor, the Transformer Book, which seems to be a really good offer for its price.

However, I got a little bit scared off, after I read about many problems with the device, especially concerning battery drain issues. In fact, the battery life is one of the biggest advantages of the Transformer Book over other products (for instance the Acer Aspire Switch 10).

For me, it is very important that the product is working. I can live with low performance, but a battery that won't charge or that won't turn into sleep mode is basically the worst case, as I do not always have the time to fix it and I really have to rely on the product.

So, basically my question is: What is your overall experience with the Transformer Book? Are the mentioned problems individual issues or is it a general problem of the T100? Is there a good chance that I get a properly working product, or do I have to expect those problems to happen?

Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I wish I had a crystal ball for you and I'm sure reading these forums can tend to give you concern but you gotta realize most folks posting here have problems and most folks who don't have problems don't post at all. So, I can only relate my uses and experiences with my nearly 1 year old T100 64GB.

I use it 99% of the time in tablet and touch mode with a mix of modern apps such as IE for web browsing, MAIL, FACEBOOK, NETFLIX, HULU+, NEWS, PHOTO and VIDEO editors and a smattering of games and other less used modern apps. I use the desktop for Office, Excel and Word and sometimes OPERA browser. I store most documents on my local server or on OneDrive. I run Avast as my anti-virus. I have a smart cover that sleeps/wakes my tablet instantly when close/open the cover. It was easy to connect to my printers and other PCs on my LAN and such (it's Windows!)... My average days use is 2-3 hours a day and I easily get 3-4 days use on a charge.

In the 11 months I've had it I had a self induced system failure that required a full reset and a bluetooth to Galaxy phone user induced issue. And until recently I thought I had a widely spaced wifi problem that again after full analysis was likely operator error. See the theme there?

If your new to Win8.1, there is a learning curve and with the 10.1" screen size, you'll want to tweak some system font sizes and such to make it a bit more finger touch friendly.

Bottom line, if you want a full fledged Windows 8.1 device with a 10.1" touch display and don't mind a sparse but improving Windows Store... I would and do highly recommend the T100.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 09-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

As Rick said, this forum is a great resource when someone encounters a rare problem. (There are 1,583 posts in 92 threads in the "T100 Battery Issues" sub-forums. ) There are most likely well over a million T100's in use. (The original Android TF101 was selling at the rate of 400,000 a month at one point.)

Wilth well over 130,000 views in the Battery Issues forums it would appear the failure rate is around 1 or 2%. AND there are some solutions and work-arounds that have helped. (Chrome browser has been suspect in some drain issues)

If I was looking for a Windows Tablet/Netbook the T100 would be first on my list.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    hey man what kind of eee pc did you have? i have a 701 4g with the flash_con connector and just installed a secondary ssd in it. trying to recondition it up a bit. missing some screws but im ordering some more.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    I agree with the others ^^.

I play games more often with this, use it for school and use almost the entire battery(I start charging around 20-40% charge on a school day depending on how much I used it, although 40% is more recommended to conserve battery life, for more details on this checkout battery university).

Most days even with gaming I'm able to get at least 7-8 hours on this. With games like StarCraft 2(Low settings to maintain no lag while playing multiplayer) I charge it while I play usually because of the drain on battery life caused by graphic intensive games.

Chrome is indeed a battery drain, which I have tested and experienced myself, I recommend using Firefox instead, which takes some getting used to for new users of it but usually not much.

Apps? There's a lack? I rarely notice since I'm able to find just about everything I really need. Some things require money but I was able to fill all my basic needs and some minor wants with free apps/games.

Speakers are amazing for such a cheap laplet imo. Really loud and relatively good quality. If you want, there's a port for you to plug some headphones in for even better quality. The one small caveat is that sometimes I go to change volume and the on-screen volume bar pops up but I have to wait for it to disappear before using something underneath it or else I might accidentally change battery to 100(OW EARS T_T). This also applies to other Windows computers I looked at though so w/e.

This thing has a forum! We are here to help and can assist with setting things up, breaking things down, virtual tears, sweat, and even blood! Just please don't make us prove the last part.

An artist's representation of what happens when someone tries to compete with the T100 only to find out they're still overpriced, underspeced, etc.

Note: ASUS has terrible customer service due to it being run by a marketing firm that is made to seem happy and well-meaning but is sadly uneducated and the exact opposite of helpful in most cases as the customer could do a better job.
    rickscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    I bought the Transformer Book as a netbook replacement, and love it - it retains and improves all of the good things about netbooks (smaller, lighter, even longer battery life), whilst now having decent CPU/GPU and resolution (whilst not as fast as Intel Core still, it no longer feels like a separate class of product). The touchscreen and being able to use as a tablet are great bonuses.

Battery life is excellent, I easily get 9 hours of regular use (and this is with the 500GB HD model). Various reviews I've read with battery tests suggest over 9 hours for the HD version, and over 10 hours for the non-HD version.

I do sometimes have battery drain whilst in sleep. The sleep mode on Windows tablets is now meant to be like ARM tablets (so you can still do things like checking email, playing music, if from Windows Store apps, whilst still having low battery usage - as opposed to traditional sleep mode on PCs which doesn't allow CPU activity). But sometimes things end up using more battery than they ideally should. It's not a problem for me - it's not an issue if sleeping for short periods of time, and overnight I switch off (with a 12s boot, not really a problem). And being able to play music whilst asleep gives even better battery life than many laptops and older netbooks.

Buy from a retailer that has a good reputation for returns if there is a defect in your product. (And don't do what some people I've read about - importing from another country to save some money, and then being stuffed if there's a problem.)
    Last edited by mdwh; 09-27-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eee_user View Post
    Hello everyone,

as recently my former netbook (eee pc) broke, I am now looking for a replacement. My experiences with the eee pc were very good, so I eventually got interested in its successor, the Transformer Book, which seems to be a really good offer for its price.
    As a former ASUS Android tablet owner...in simple terms....my T100TA is the best tablet ever owned here (my 4th), and blows away any iPad product - as 3 of my former iPad owner friends who converted after seeing how my tablet performed would also attest.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone,

thank you for your answers.

My problem is not so much that I am new to Windows 8 (however, I am new to Windows 8, but that is not the point). I am usually able to fix my problems, but I do not always have the time to do so. Therefore, I want to be sure that at least the basic functions are working, and that means especially the battery.

Only the problems sounded like a general design fault. That is why I asked, how your real life experiences with the product are. But if you are saying that it is actually working, I might give it a try.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    4 times
    As an owner of T100 since the beginning of 2014, I had a couple of nail-biting occasions during the first few days of using it out of the box. Luckily ASUS LiveUpdate application did a great job. With the updates installed I have not been in the same situation again.

Typing is a bit difficult for me. Often my thumb inadvertently touches the touch pad thereby disrupting the flow of typing.

Battery is still in good shape. I have not timed how long it lasts as I rarely go beyond 4 hours on typing, swiping, touching and pinching T100. My guess is that it easily lasts 7 hours.

It took a couple of dockings/undockings of keyboard before I was able to do it perfectly. Just be sure that both hinges click into place when docking or else the keyboard might not be responsive.

If you plan to add microSD card just be careful. It does not perform a soft ejection. Rather it shoots out the card! As the microSD card is not completely housed inside the slot the possibility of a minor bump on it could bring unexpected trouble.

I have used wireless mouse as well as bluetooth mouse with T100. I have tethered with android smartphones running Jellybean 4.1.2/4.3 and KitKat 4.4.2, and browsed Internet successfully.

HDMI worked flawlessly with Sony TV. Powering on/off is quick and is always enjoyable for a guy who had twiddled fingers while doing the same in standard laptops with spinning hard disks.

Based on my experience I recommend with a bit of reservation for users with stubby fingers. For slender fingers I have no such reservation.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    My opinion is the it is at least a good device at the price point. It is reasonably fast, good battery life, fair amount of built in storage, & a comfortable size. I would only suggest the 64GB model.

Welcome to the forum.

Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links