Thread: My asus t100 requires twice 10-second-holds to boot, all of a sudden

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

My asus t100 requires twice 10-second-holds to boot, all of a sudden

Hi guys, firstly thank you all for your useful tips and tricks which I referred to for few months after buying this asus t100. Now I am having an issue with my T100 and would like to learn from you guys:

My problem is: after using this computer for a while, normally I just fold it without shutting down, but when I open it again it does not boot into window and stay completely dark (no light at all). I have to long-hold the power button for 10 seconds twice, so the computer will start after 4 seconds of the third try.

Actually this did happen ~2-3 months ago, but not really frequent like now (1-2 times/day).

So if you have any solution, please kindly help me to stay with my t100, it's really nice and useful for me.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    415 times
    In your case, it sounds as though...
    The first 10 second hold on the power button is probably causing a forced shutdown.
    The second 10 second hold is probably not doing anything.
    The third 4 second hold starts it back up.

Questions
    What do you have your power settings to do when you fold the clam-shell closed? Sounds like you want it to shut off, yes?
    Are you up to date on BIOS, drivers and Windows?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Questions
    What do you have your power settings to do when you fold the clam-shell closed? Sounds like you want it to shut off, yes?
    Are you up to date on BIOS, drivers and Windows?
    I checked my power setting, it says "Sleep" for "Closing the lid"

Actually I set all of options related to power setting into "sleep" since I don't want to shut down this computer regularly like normal laptop, this is an excellent machine for my work and my entertainment so I expect to use it 24/7 whenever I want

For update, I set "Automatically download and install update" whenever it's available. My BIOS status now is T100TA.214, fyi.

It seems that no one else in this forum got same problem, I really don't want to go to Warranty Services they all sucks in VN, no matter which brand it is...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    415 times
    For update, I set "Automatically download and install update" whenever it's available. My BIOS status now is T100TA.214, fyi.
    I have my Windows update set to "notify me"... I don't want it updating while I'm not in attendance. Mainly because since many updates require a restart and your device will restart on its own if needed... and since there is several parts to a successful installing/restarting updates, IMHO, it's just ripe with possibilities to break something if left unattended.

Also you really should update to BIOS 307... those early 2xx BIOS versions had a number of issues, some minor, some major.

I really wish the mods and folks that use these forums had done a better job of tracking by thread each BIOS version and their pros/cons, problems and comments.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 09-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi hieu86, I got exactly the same problem. Sometimes this evening happens when it was completely shutted down and I want the machine to start: It shows the Asus logo, the loading circle and then goes dark, nothing changes any more. I need to hold the power button about 10 seconds and then hold it again to try a second start.

BIOS 307 and newest drivers and windows updates installed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tester25 View Post
    Hi hieu86, I got exactly the same problem. Sometimes this evening happens when it was completely shutted down and I want the machine to start: It shows the Asus logo, the loading circle and then goes dark, nothing changes any more. I need to hold the power button about 10 seconds and then hold it again to try a second start.

BIOS 307 and newest drivers and windows updates installed.
    Actually after installing the new Bios (307) as richscheller suggested, it seems to be better now. I will see after a week and report here later.

Thank you all for your sharing,
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

So far, this issue still keeps happening to me but with much lower frequency, like once or twice every 2 days. Obviously thanks to richseller's suggestion to update the newest BIOS version, but also recently I press "shut down" button more frequently rather than only closing the lid like before.

Once again, thanks.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hieu86 View Post
    Hi guys,

So far, this issue still keeps happening to me but with much lower frequency, like once or twice every 2 days. Obviously thanks to richseller's suggestion to update the newest BIOS version, but also recently I press "shut down" button more frequently rather than only closing the lid like before.

Once again, thanks.
    What are your settings for the action when closing the lid or pressing the power button?

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    What are your settings for the action when closing the lid or pressing the power button?
    I believe this is what you are looking for:
    I checked my power setting, it says "Sleep" for "Closing the lid"

Actually I set all of options related to power setting into "sleep" since I don't want to shut down this computer regularly like normal laptop, this is an excellent machine for my work and my entertainment so I expect to use it 24/7 whenever I want
    I rarely have a similar problem with the same settings, latest drivers, bios, etc. but it does happen from time to time.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I was having this problem constantly, and decided to install the latest release of the bios for the t100HA transformer. Was easy process using ASUS WinFlash from standard app list, after finding latest BIOS release on ASUS support site for my exact model. New BIOS solved ALL power up issues!!! (BIOS version 221 dated 5/18/2016)

You can find your current BIOS version by window-R (windows key plus R), then msinfo32, gives list of everything about your system including current BIOS...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links