Thread: [ SOLVED ] Touch pad silencer?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

Question [ SOLVED ] Touch pad silencer?

The touch pad button on this thing sounds like I'm shooting off a handgun. Anybody found any clever ways to quiet it down without totally ruining the responsiveness? I've messed around a bit with various types of tape, felt, and some foam craft sheet, but nothing has really helped so far. I think a lot of the issue stems from the keyboard dock being so devoid of electronics and providing a lovely resonance chamber.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't actually click down. Tap once to perform a left click or tap with 2 fingers to perform a right click.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FusiveR View Post
    Don't actually click down. Tap once to perform a left click or tap with 2 fingers to perform a right click.
    I've never been very fond of tap-to-click. On most devices (including the t100), there's a noticeable delay registering clicks vs. the hardware buttons. And Asus "Smart" Gesture makes the two-finger tap particularly unreliable.

Anyway, I got a couple more ideas to play with later from reading about other laptops with this issue. Hopefully one of them will quiet it down a bit.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by db2 View Post
    The touch pad button on this thing sounds like I'm shooting off a handgun. Anybody found any clever ways to quiet it down without totally ruining the responsiveness? I've messed around a bit with various types of tape, felt, and some foam craft sheet, but nothing has really helped so far. I think a lot of the issue stems from the keyboard dock being so devoid of electronics and providing a lovely resonance chamber.
    Here's an idea,

568680.jpg
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Alright, after a LOT of disassembly/experimenting/reassembly, I think I've got a pretty good fix. You need some of that protective foam wrap that's occasionally used to protect monitors, TVs, or laptops so they don't get scuffed up inside the box during shipping. Tear apart the keyboard dock using the standard procedure, remove the touch pad, and put a couple strips of that foam into the channel where the touch pad button rests. I'm not sure how standard the thickness of this stuff is, so you might have to play around with the number of layers until you get the right amount of silencing without harming the feel. In my case, I needed two layers. This photo should explain what you have to do:

CRwqW6M.jpg

It's blissfully quiet now! The button requires a tiny bit more force, but it's pretty negligible.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    That is F-ing brillant! Once my 365 days are up, I think'll be tearing in to my dock to do this!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    It's mostly a matter of fiddling with the thickness and firmness of the surface the button presses against. I got the idea from hearing that certain MacBook models have a small screw you can adjust that gives the same effect, i.e. raising and lowering that surface. It's just that here we don't have a screw to do that, so we have to experiment with layering materials of various thicknesses.

I changed up my formula a little bit, and put one layer of electrical tape over the center area where the button makes contact, and one layer of foam padding across the whole well. That seems to have struck a happy medium between the amount of silencing vs. how the button feel is affected. I'll stick with this for now, or until I suddenly think of something more promising.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links