Thread: Alternative touchpad drivers?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

Question Alternative touchpad drivers?

So we all know that Asus Smart Gesture sucks. Nothing new there. Are there any alternatives that will work on the T100TA? I tried a handful of Elan Tech drivers, and even a Synaptics driver, but they all complain about not finding any compatible device as soon as I run the installer. Yes, I have the keyboard dock attached when I run them.

As long as I can get two-finger scrolling, and maybe two-finger tapping for right-click, I'll be happy. And if I can do it without Smart Gesture lagging on scrolling during heavy I/O loads, and constantly (i.e. several times per second) polling HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouhid\Enum even though I have mouse detection disabled, then that's even better...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Pretty unlikely.

If you looked up the device ID/manufacturer in device manager to see if it enlightens you any to who made the touch pad? If you can figure that out, there might at least be a small chance that you can download a generic driver patch for that manufacturer and get it to work, or maybe see if it is used in a different device that does have a driver pack for it.

That said, I've tried grabbing different driver packs for the synaptic touchpad on my laptop before and none will install. Only one I can get to work is the Windows 8 driver pack off HPs website. The good news is, it installs and works fine under Windows 8.1. However, it is the ONLY driver pack that seems to work (it is a synaptic touchpad, I am not simply shooting in the dark on that one).
    Last edited by azazel1024; 09-08-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    leeshor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    As far as I can tell from looking at the driver files, it's an Elan I2C touchpad. Haven't been able to do anything useful with that information yet, though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    It would be excellent if someone could jury rig an Elantech touchpad driver to work with the T100, the awful SmartGesture performance is driving me insane. It takes almost half a second for single taps to register when trying to left click with taps, and in some applications the left click is impossible to use because the delay is even greater. For now I've uninstalled it and am using the generic default touchpad driver from Microsoft, which is far more responsive but is missing multi-finger gestures.

I don't understand how Asus managed to get something so wrong when they've used Elan touchpads in so many of their other laptops (My K53TA has an Elantech touchpad which sucks, but at least it doesn't suffer from ridiculous delays when one, two, or three finger tapping)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    My T100TA is just over a year old and I use it every day, most often with the keyboard/dock. I am also looking for an alternative to the Smart Gesture driver. The touchpad on my T100TA is absolutely totally frustrating. I would like to find a generis driver that has the option to turn off tap-to-click. I use none of the Smart Gesture options, and don't want to use them. I turn off Smart Gesture tap-to-click and it turns itself back on after a few minutes, or a few hours or a few days. Is there a Microsoft or Elan or Synaptics or ??? driver that will work on a T100TA and allow the option to turn off ALL touch options?

The fact that the mouse moves when left or right clicking on the touchpad is a terrible way for a touchpad to work. The basic design of the T100TA touchpad is bad. ASUS should offer a replacement keyboard/dock with a touchpad that can be used like the touchpads on every other PC I have ever used over many years.

Help!!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links