Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times

Dolby Digital through HDMI port???

I can't seem to output DD 5.1 sound through the HDMI port. Netflix shows the movie as DD 5.1, but my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR 3600) reports the audio source as PCM, which the receiver can then play as 2 ch Stereo, 5 ch Stereo, Virtual Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, HK Logic 7 or DTS Neo 6 formats.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, do I need a Codec pack or does the T100 only support PCM through the HDMI port?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Leo.
    Last edited by leor; 08-06-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ssthrough.html and try the suggestion in the last post

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesmemad View Post
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ssthrough.html and try the suggestion in the last post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried everything in that post and also just played with all the various audio settings in control panel. Can't get anything but PCM out of the HDMI port. I've confirmed it's not a receiver issue as I get full Dolby Digital when I tried Netflix through a borrowed Apple TV. I've given up tinkering at this point and will just accept that the T100 is PCM only. Certainly not a big deal.

Strange thing is in the sound settings in control panel, "Harman AVR" shows up when the T100 is plugged in to the receiver. If I go into the configuration and set the speaker configuration as 5.1, I get only 2 channel audio from the receiver. Nothing from the center channel, nothing from the surrounds. If I set it back to 2 channels, I get Dolby Pro Logic II from the receiver so center channel and surrounds are active. Weird, no?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Usually to get Bitstreamed audio from a windows machine, where the Receiver is decoding the audio, you have to set the Windows Sound Settings to Stereo/2 channel. If you have the Windows settings as 5.1 or 7.1, then I believe the audio gets decoded by the PC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

This is probably a limitation of the SoC chipset in T100. Nothing you could do about it but to accept the PCM output and do software decoding of any DTS/AC3. This is quite easy to set up in MPC-HC (just "untick" bistreaming in audio decoder settings) and you need to set up Windows audio device to "know" what kind of speaker setup you have. I'm using unusual 2 fronts + 1 center, so I configured 5.1 and choosed which speakers I have connected. Rest of the "audio routing" is done on your amplituner as the signal is still 5.1 PCM comming from T100.

Sad, that bitstreaming is not possible as decoding takes CPU and adds some delay....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I will try that when I get home, since I am using MPC-HC also. Thanks for the info.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links