Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Asus T100 Screen - Text edge appear not crisp and smooth, Am I only facing this?

Hi,

I am a new owner of Asus T100 (bought 2 days before only). Before buying, I knew that T100 has not HD resolution but only 1366 x 768. But, I was hopping that it would be sufficient for normal day to day activity (reading, surfing, video viewing). But, after purchase I am largely dispointed by display as I am always fan of sharp displys.

I checked side by side T100 with similar category HP Omni 10 (having HD display) for hours and hours in showroom (before and after my purchase).
    The brightness, black levels, color accuracy - I am impressed with T100 comparing to Omni10.
    But, while reading Text on any website (especially default msn homepage), T100 Text looked not smooth but rather pixelated. The curves are not smooth enough for small text. It's not hard find but one can easily see jaggy text.
    While buying I thought, I might fix it with ClearType Text at home. So, I got it.

But, even after adjusting windows clearType text settings. The Fonts appear jaggy and not smooth. Ok, they are sharp but not smooth. And I easily notice it while any surfing & reading and this steals whole fun with this rather fantastic gadget.
    I tried to lower the resolution to one point I guess 1364 x 768 or something. There text appears smooth but blurred. So lowering the resolution is simply not supported on this tablet, looks like.

So, this is my biggest issue with this Tablet. It always come under my notice while any activity and I am not able to enjoy it. So, is there any solution to this??
    I searched on the internet and found no complain regarding this by any owner, which surprised me. So, Am I only facing this issue? Is there something with my Piece? but showroom models are also having same problem... Hp Omni 10 other hand not this issue while comparing next to each other.

I also think this is not completely due to low resolution of display (semi HD) but something with setup of OS with the display size. Could be software even because while lowering resolution from windows (1 point down) the text edges were smooth but overall stuff is blurred. So, Any idea??

Is there some patch, update I am missing? My Windows is up to date and have to still update bios from Asus.....
    Please help!! this is a big decision point for me whether to go with T100 or return....

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Post a pic please

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    Your screenshots show that ClearType isn't enabled (there's only standard anti-aliasing, not sub-pixel anti-aliasing). I checked on my laptop (Clevo rather than T100, but still Windows 8), and indeed there's no ClearType in IE, even though it's enabled on my system, but it does work in Opera and Chrome.

This article explains it: ClearType takes a back seat for Windows 8 Metro | istartedsomething - the subpixel rendering is disabled for "metro", and presumably for some other MS applications like IE even in non-metro mode. Not sure why they did this, but possibly due to higher resolution screens becoming the norm (ClearType was developed at a time when low resolution displays were common on even desktop monitors), and it doesn't play well with things like animations or different kinds of screen technology.

I must admit I hadn't noticed it, my eyesight must not be as good (I'm not sure I really notice a difference between the T100 and my Nexus 7 which is smaller with 1920x1200). One workaround is to use a different web browser. But if you need a fix for "metro" applications, you may be better off with one of the higher resolution devices.

I have no idea why slightly reducing the resolution changes things, maybe post screenshots of that to show the difference?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Please find the attached snapshot where the outlines of the text can be seen fuzzy....
    microsoftStore.jpgmsn_screenshot.jpg

Yup, I also observed that the Problem is with clearText Rendering Looks off in IE and Metro Interface,,, because the same Problem I didn't observe in Desktop Interface and application....
    But it looks uncomfortable for viewing... So the good alternative is to use another browser... I used firefox but it has rendering issue in windows8. It is not as smooth as IE. So, I will give chrome a try.... But, there is no alternative in Metro...
    Great thanks for pointing out... So, that means it gets noticed... I think it is noticeable in IE.

rscheller
    What is your screen resolution set to? It should be 1368x768. I remember reading of some folks having fuzzy displays and seem to recall theirs were set to 1368x766. Might check that.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    My screen resolution is set to 1368x768, I tried to set the lower resolution but everything looks blurred in that....

My big surprise that, no one else is facing the similar issue.. as I haven't seen anyone complaining about it or raising it...
    It looks now clear to me that ClearText is not working in IE and Metro modes so, the text in IE and metro looks dim. Especially the thin text as I have in 2nd screenshot... The text in desktop mode is perfectly sharp and visible.. the issue is in IE, Metro...

Is there any good alternative of IE in win8.1? Mozilla is not as smooth as IE in desktop mode for touch interface and Chrome is also OK. In Metro mode their apps are paid...
    Are you also observing the issue in IE, try to check with msn.com home page, where font are thinner...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Try reinstalling or upgrading the graphics driver. On my Dell XPS18 the same occurs in some views (not all) and it has to do with driver/screen mode.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    just to add my 2cents, i do find the screen a little uncrisp, even when cleartype is on. i read somewhere the t100's ppi is just 155 or something. cant really ask much from 155.
    i guess that's why retina devices have so much going for themselves.
    not that im bothered cause Im okay with the t100's screen. but yeah, the t100 isn't perfect for reading for long periods of time.

rscheller
    My big surprise that, no one else is facing the similar issue.. as I haven't seen anyone complaining about it or raising it
    Since no one else is complaining... I think you need to exchange your T100 and move on.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    "Is there any good alternative of IE in win8.1? Mozilla is not as smooth as IE in desktop mode for touch interface and Chrome is also OK. In Metro mode their apps are paid..."

Chrome can run in metro mode ("Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode" from menu, but Chrome must be set as the default browser for this option to appear). Not sure about Firefox. The paid apps for Chrome and Firefox do not appear to be official, and may well be fakes.

"i guess that's why retina devices have so much going for themselves."

Note that Retina is an Apple-only trademark for some of their products, not a standard measure of resolution. There are plenty of devices (including Windows 8 convertibles) that have higher resolutions than the T100 though, for those that need a higher resolution. For me, my Nexus 7 has one of the highest tablet resolutions and densities around, but I'm more productive on my T100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links