Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times

Question Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

OK, I'll start by being honest. I don't like Windows. Oh yes, and this thread is deliberately provocative to generate some discussion...

Yes I know it transformed the world of domestic computing, but I got tired of the malware issues, the bloatware issues (it needs how much? space!!) etc etc.

So, following early retirement & an extended period of traveling our household moved to become "post PC". We had a brief dalliance with Linux & then embraced Android & more recently iOS. (We haven't had a Windows device for well over a decade now)

Now I know that Android suffers from fragmentation unless you choose a Nexus device & some folks don't like Apple for various reasons, but please explain to me...

Why - with what is supposed to be a simple to use, aimed at the mass market device - is it so difficult for folks to update the T100?

We have lots of threads here along the lines of...
    "How do I update the bios"
    "What graphics driver do I use"
    "What happened to Asus Live Update - it's lagging behind"
    "Why is there a "207" bios update - isn't the latest "309" - oh no - it got pulled?!?!"
    "I bricked my Windows device - all I did was use the Asus update tool" (I thought Windows was aimed at the ordinary man in the street)

So, I thought I'd ask - is it the T100 or Windows or something else?

Discuss away please...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    imo it's not really a Windows thing, nor is it strictly a T100 issue. I personally don't have the problems that you had with Windows, yes, I have a select few customers who continue to get malware but the number of systems is 1 in 100, otherwise all the systems run well. Also, not a spec of bloat other than the few with malware.

With that said, all Windows systems have drivers that are all specific to the motherboard, (several different drivers) and video drivers for the card if it isn't integrated video. I do have a few customers who won't leave well enough alone and are constantly trying to improve the performance of the system, (reliability isn't a problem if they don't). Most of the manufacturers have a utility that will update the system drivers and it generally shouldn't be used unless it's to solve a problem. Installing those updates just to install them isn't necessarily a good idea just like installing updates for windows the second week of the month isn't a great idea either. I know that may sound odd but Microsoft issues updates a few times every year that cause serious havoc with some systems. It depends on what other software was installed before the updates were applied.

A good rule of thumb is to wait until the last 2 weeks of the month to check for updates and install manually. By then, Microsoft has had time to pull or re-release the updates that had a problem. If you're first out of the gate to get new and updated drivers and/or security updates you do so at your own risk. 99% work just fine 90% of the time. For the most part I keep track of those updates for my customers. So, they don't have problems. If they did, chasing them all down would put me out of business.

This is why we need a thread dedicated to these issues for the T100 that combines all the possible issues, or a separate forum. I have 2 customers with T100s and neither has had problem one, but neither has tinkered with there systems either. I'm pretty certain Frederuco and ASUSFAN would agree.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Yes I know it transformed the world of domestic computing, but I got tired of the malware issues, the bloatware issues (it needs how much? space!!) etc etc.
    Those aren't really issues with Windows itself. Malware can be an issue for any operating system, but seems to target Windows mainly because it's the most popular and most used OS on the market. Bloatware is a problem with manufacturers, but Windows itself does not come loaded with any (aside from Internet Explorer).

So, following early retirement & an extended period of traveling our household moved to become "post PC". We had a brief dalliance with Linux & then embraced Android & more recently iOS. (We haven't had a Windows device for well over a decade now)
    Depending on your computer use, that might be fine. But don't kid yourself into believing that any of those systems are immune to malware or viruses. You'll be in for a nasty surprise someday. This article should prove eye-opening: DailyTech - Apple's OS X is First OS to be Hacked at This Year's Pwn2Own

Why - with what is supposed to be a simple to use, aimed at the mass market device - is it so difficult for folks to update the T100?
    Some people have issues with anything computer related. It really isn't that hard, and the T100 has made it as easy as possible. As someone who does a lot of computer repair, I can promise you that some people are just afraid to do anything on their computers, even updates, for fear they will hurt something.

Discuss away please...
    It's something else. It's a user issue. Or if I have to pick one, it's a T100 issue, as Windows is just the Operating System and has no say in how the device is updated. Windows will, in fact, take care of itself quite nicely. But everything you've listed up there is specific to the T100, and doesn't have any bearing on the other five Windows 8.1 systems in my household, for example. So, you can definitely point the finger at the device over the OS.
    Last edited by ProphetSword; 06-27-2014 at 07:46 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    imo it's not really a Windows thing, nor is it strictly a T100 issue. I personally don't have the problems that you had with Windows, yes, I have a select few customers who continue to get malware but the number of systems is 1 in 100, otherwise all the systems run well. Also, not a spec of bloat other than the few with malware.

With that said, all Windows systems have drivers that are all specific to the motherboard, (several different drivers) and video drivers for the card if it isn't integrated video. I do have a few customers who won't leave well enough alone and are constantly trying to improve the performance of the system, (reliability isn't a problem if they don't). Most of the manufacturers have a utility that will update the system drivers and it generally shouldn't be used unless it's to solve a problem. Installing those updates just to install them isn't necessarily a good idea just like installing updates for windows the second week of the month isn't a great idea either. I know that may sound odd but Microsoft issues updates a few times every year that cause serious havoc with some systems. It depends on what other software was installed before the updates were applied.

A good rule of thumb is to wait until the last 2 weeks of the month to check for updates and install manually. By then, Microsoft has had time to pull or re-release the updates that had a problem. If you're first out of the gate to get new and updated drivers and/or security updates you do so at your own risk. 99% work just fine 90% of the time. For the most part I keep track of those updates for my customers. So, they don't have problems. If they did, chasing them all down would put me out of business.

This is why we need a thread dedicated to these issues for the T100 that combines all the possible issues, or a separate forum. I have 2 customers with T100s and neither has had problem one, but neither has tinkered with there systems either. I'm pretty certain Frederuco and ASUSFAN would agree.
    Yup - totally agree with all of your comments.
    leeshor likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

rscheller
    Yes it is.

Please no flames because this evaluation is a one liner of my experiences with these OS's.
    Apple - A decent OS but very controlled and hard to customize. Still won't run adobe flash on mobile devices. Good OS for artists.
    Android - Not a bad OS but really more of a toy. Good OS for anything quick.
    Windows - Can be a cranky OS but if you need something done, everyone writes software for it. This is the "real" business OS.
    Linux - never used it.
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    246 times
    A lot of the issues are related to people who do not read and/or research before trying something.

Those that forge ahead without doing this need to stick to IOS so that they are controlled on the things they can do.
    I personally do not have the problems of many of the folks here, but then I have been in the computer industry since the era of vacuum tubes and relays.

leeshor, janner43 and ASUSFAN0001 like this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to wait until the last 2 weeks of the month to check for updates and install manually. By then, Microsoft has had time to pull or re-release the updates that had a problem. If you're first out of the gate to get new and updated drivers and/or security updates you do so at your own risk. 99% work just fine 90% of the time
    Oh, don't get me wrong - we didn't personally have a problem with malware - it was just the ongoing "can't let your guard down". It always seems that Windows is being targeted - because it is so ubiquitous, of course.

When I say "bloatware" I'm really talking about the amount of space Windows needs just to run. The 32bit version needs 16gb while the 64bit needs 20gb. iOS 7 needs under 4gb, Android a similar amount (if not slightly less).

Also remember I'm "flying a kite" to some degree to get some discussion going... Windows is still the world's most used OS (probably deservedly) & will likely stay that way unless MS do something really dumb.

But I will say in defence of Android & iOS that they are not just the "mobile" OS's that they can be made out to be... In iOS for example, an app called RoomPlanner allows almost full "architectural" plans to be drawn & will create full 3D "fly through" renderings of those plans on the fly!! I've never seen anything like it in terms of ease of use, power & usability. And it's free & runs on an iPad. It's quite amazing.

But I still feel for a mature OS that that there ought to be a foolproof way for folks to update without any real risk & I'm surprised that updates are issued for such a mature OS that are not 100% reliable 99% of the time...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

rscheller
    I believe a large part of the issues with Windows is that every set of hardware within and without "a box" has a different mix of internal and peripheral items and associated drivers from different supplier/vendors. Within that hodgpodge world, it's amazing Windows ever really works at all.

Controlling this mix with a tough certification process is one of the reasons Apple computers and devices unless they're jail-broken (or?) are more bullet proof for the average consumer... essentially Apple controls everything. It's the same with Android... unless you root your phone, Google controls pretty much everything.

It does seem to me in the last few years beginning with Windows 7 & now 8, MS has started to take much tighter control of hardware certifications and drivers for the hodgepodge of pieces of hardware in "the box". I've noticed on my T100 that some hardware driver updates actually come in as a Windows update. I'd never seen that before... however many still don't. I think that's why your bigger name computer makers (Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, etc.) are providing consumers with a built in program that runs in the background to automatically update drivers, BIOS, etc. based on what's in "the box" that are still outside the Windows arena. That may change over time as MS enforces more control over Windows and the millions of peripheral devices available.

P.S. One personal example of this is, a couple years ago my wife was going to have a major surgery on a knee that'd keep her home-bound for 5-6 weeks. At the last minute... seriously the last minute... actually the day before the surgery... she decided she wanted a tablet so she could keep up socially online from the hospital bed and at home in bed. At the time there were really no geewiz inexpensive Windows tablets (she has a Dell laptop) and I didn't think an Android tablet (from my Android tablet experience) would satisfy her, so my decision was easy. Get an iPad... they just work with little fuss out-of-the-box. For a month or two, she really enjoyed using it... then one day as she became less confined, she said how come this webpage (adobe flash based) won't load... she said it works on my laptop fine... I said sorry babe, it's the iPad... a few months later, she said how do I print from my iPad on our old networked brother all-in-one... I said sorry babe, you can't... it's an iPad and it needs a wifi (airprint) printer or a paid app that may or may not work. I can say that I've resolved the printing problem by getting a cheap wifi printer that prints from the iPad but she has gone back mostly using her laptop because the iPad facebook app renders facebook pages differently than Windows IE and Firefox and her work world is Windows based.
    Last edited by rscheller; 06-27-2014 at 12:14 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    A lot of the issues are related to people who do not read and/or research before trying something.

Those that forge ahead without doing this need to stick to IOS so that they are controlled on the things they can do.
    I personally do not have the problems of many of the folks here, but then I have been in the computer industry since the era of vacuum tubes and relays.
    Yes.....yes....and like you....me too.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    The space Windows needs is a relative comparison. and a dubious one. Why is 16 Gb of installation an issue when your desktop system has 1 Tb of diskspace these days? Of course, this 32 Gb tablet we own makes the comparison a bit different. If you really want optimal diskspace you can buy a 64 Gb SD card. Or buy Android.

The update process is quite simple, as is using Windows. Why else would it be the mostly widely used & sold OS....?
    helpifIcan likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links