Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    I can't put my hands on it but read something in the last day or 2 that lead me to believe Microsoft is rethinking the single user interface across all platforms. It sounds like they are considering bringing back the, more or less, traditional desktop with mini Metro icons for desktop computers. But we are off topic, AGAIN.

[edit] just found this, which explains the return to the desktop. Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users | ZDNet
    The heck with the topic...

My issue with this is, the "person with knowledge" is saying that MS is looking at the desktop being the only interface for desktop computers...which fine, you can run metro apps from the desktop using icons. I have ZERO issue with this, so long as you don't lose the ability to run metro apps.

However, they are proposing metro interface ONLY for phones and tablets. The former I get, the later I don't. Further you can choose between desktop and metro with a laptop or hybrid. My question is, what defines a tablet versus a hybrid? Because you can use something like a keyboard and mouse with any tablet that has bluetooth or a USB port. I really hope they are meaning winRT is going to be metro only, with the desktop stripped out. Which if that is the case, it makes sense. Afterall, pretty much the only things the desktop are used for on WinRT right now are office (which is getting metro only apps soon) and things like file explorer, which MS really needs to create an appropriate native metro app for sooner rather than later.

I just really hope they don't do away with the desktop for standard 32/64-bit flavors of "full" windows. Even if they kept the ability to install desktop apps via metro interface and just pin the applications like you have in metro now (because you can pin and launch a desktop application from the metro interface), you'd loose a lot of the flexibility and usability that the desktop brings (even if all appropriate applications, like file explorer, got metro equivelents) when you have a keyboard and mouse handy.

I use the desktop maybe 25% of my usage with my T100, even though only about 10-15% of my usage is with dock attached. If we got good metro versions of file explorer and the control panel that would probably drop to maybe 10-15% of my usage would include the desktop...but it would still be much nicer to have and use when docked then being stuck metro only; again with the caveat that desktop apps could be launched from metro still. If we are talking moving to windows store apps only and desktop apps can't be launched total no go for me. I cannot and will not run a version of windows (with the exception of on a phone) where I cannot run my "legacy" apps...or for that matter applications which will never be deployed through the windows store.

rscheller
    Interesting article. One statement of note is...

It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.
    That's a huge point if people and enterprises adopt it.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Having met personally with multiple senior Microsoft engineers on the Windows 8 team at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) the past 2 years (even before WIN8 was sold publically)...the consistent plan all along was to have some form of "toggle" in the code to support a desktop and metro UI. Again - please let me underscore that offering multiple UI versions was the plan all along.

What appeared to happen was that the desire to get WIN8 to market quickly for a series of new hardware devices outweighed the original delivery timeline of the "final version" of WIN8 containing both options. As recently as this past January, the same team members indicated "the target has not moved".

In whatever form an update to WIN8.1 (or WIN9, or whatever it is called) will be to deliver the target OS that supports both desktop and mobile device "versions", albeit potentially via a base version that has some form of "toggle"/configuration.

On the T100 (yes...circling back), the "Metro" (mobile) version of WIN 8.1 appears to be a success, as this is basically featured on numerous other tablets/devices and continues to get enhancements and updates.

P.S. To some of us...the "Metro" name for the "touch UI" is a whack-a-doodle name.
    Swipe likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

rscheller
    On the T100 (yes...circling back), the "Metro" (mobile) version of WIN 8.1 appears to be a success, as this is basically featured on numerous other tablets/devices and continues to get enhancements and updates.
    I agree. For me in a desktop environment with mouse/keyboard, my mind is 100% OK using Win8.1 in desktop mode and is natural, in fact the Metro mode on my non-touch desktop is whacky for me. Once I become accustomed to using my T100 with Metro/touch, I'll often find myself if using some other smallish Windows device, the first thing I do is try to use the touchscreen. I really thought touch in Win8 would be a gimmick but I'm hooked and would never go back on the right device. Would I use touch on my desktop... I really don't know since I'm not ready to pop for a touch monitor.

P.S. To some of us...the "Metro" name for the "touch UI" is a whack-a-doodle name.
    MS has never been good at naming their OSs and distinguishing and providing a legacy between the various versions. I agree "Metro" means zilch and is frankly stupid. This article and your comments ASUSFAN0001 would seem to wrap it all up in one "smart OS" that just automatically chooses the proper user interface based on the hardware configuration as well as letting the user control the experience as hardware changes. Example... If I replace my non-touch monitor with touch, the OS should recognize this change and automatically enable touchscreen and possible disable the mouse but if the user touches the mouse, the mouse takes over and vice versa. Heck... Win8.1 may already do these things... I just don't have the hardware environment to have tried it.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Is that like the definition of an expert... "a drip under pressure"

(Ex-spurt)

Almost "X is the unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure."

janner43 likes this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    If I replace my non-touch monitor with touch, the OS should recognize this change and automatically enable touchscreen and possible disable the mouse but if the user touches the mouse, the mouse takes over and vice versa. Heck... Win8.1 may already do these things... I just don't have the hardware environment to have tried it.
    I suspect it will be supported using a "user control panel setting" in the OS...not sure if it be "autodetectable" (if there is such a word.).
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

rscheller
    It's about time I post here "on topic"...

I personally don't find it any harder to make updates to the T100 OS and drivers compared to Android or iPad but I've not altered/tweaked my Win OS as some others have done. Furthermore, over the last five months I've seriously taken a wait and see attitude and use both Windows update and Asus Live Update to tell me when I need to apply updates and even then I monitor updates suggested and don't apply some of them. I use the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I also never press the power button during or after an OS update unless I feel I've given the OS more than ample time to apply the updates and reboot on it's own. With the T100, when your staring at a black screen, it's difficult to determine that with 100% assurance. With my desktop updates, I not only have onscreen clues as to what's happening, I also hear disk drive sounds and fan sounds and see power light and disk drive activity to provide clues indicating where in the update cycle my PC is at. The T100 has only the screen and the light next to the camera AFAIK as indicators of the update process.

The one area I think the T100 (and other touch tablets I'd suspect) are largely lacking and I think IMHO, some people incorrectly think their T100 has malfunctioned during an update because there's no screen activity or little white light and then they press the power button which if timed wrong, can result in major issues.
    helpifIcan likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    I suspect it will be supported using a "user control panel setting" in the OS...not sure if it be "autodetectable" (if there is such a word.).
    This is sort of what I am hoping for. After update 1, IIRC, this is done where it'll detect if a touch screen is present or not and install it with default boot to the desktop if none is detected. You CAN revert it back to go to the start screen in touch UI if you want.

I am hoping with Threshold/Win9 that the MOST they'll do is autodetect if it is a mobile device (ARM based), touchscreen present or no touch screen and setup the default preferences that way, but the user can change these either during setup or at a later time through the user control panel so they can customize if they want a desktop exposed or not.

I just think it would be a backward step to decide that now that they've rolled out the touch environment...lets make sure we take it away from some users completely and make it the only interface for others depending on their device.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    MS has never been good at naming their OSs and distinguishing and providing a legacy between the various versions.
    It's funny because I used to think Apple was always pretty good in the naming marketing department. The last time I used a MAC was on OS 9, and OS X was just being released which was about 9 years ago. Recently, I was wondering, what is the current MAC OS version name and was confused when I saw it was still "OS X" since that was the same name 9 years ago when it 1st came out. I had to go to wikipedia to figure out what happened.

Try to follow this OS naming convention. They seemed to have a simple and logical chronological naming convention going on, until OSX.

Mac OS 8.0
    Mac OS 8.1
    Mac OS 8.5
    Mac OS 8.5.1
    Mac OS 8.6

Mac OS 9.0
    Mac OS 9.0.2
    Mac OS 9.0.3
    Mac OS 9.0.4
    Mac OS 9.1
    Mac OS 9.2
    Mac OS 9.2.1
    Mac OS 9.2.2

OS X v10.0 (Cheetah)
    OS X v10.1 (Puma)
    OS X v10.2 (Jaguar)
    OS X v10.3 (Panther)
    OS X v10.4 (Tiger)
    OS X v10.5 (Leopard)
    OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard)
    OS X v10.7 (Lion)
    OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion)
    OS X v10.9 (Mavericks)
    OS X v10.10 (Yosemite)

With the exception of Mac OS X Server 1.0 and the original public beta, OS X versions were named after big cats until version 10.9, when Apple switched to using California locations.
    I guess I will look forward to the eventual release of OSX "Weed". When released, I hear it will be the OS that makes everyone happy, but unfortunately is still in beta stages due to giving everyone the munchies that has used it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    I had a girfriend from Weed, California.

I think most people, if they follow the update cycles and update as Asusfan0001 has, they will have a normally uneventful easy process. This is probably the norm for most owners.
    ASUSFAN0001 and helpifIcan like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links