Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinghart View Post
    How can you compare ios 7 with windows 8 4gb vs 20gb they are completely different operating systems for different devices
    That's what I was going to say. We shouldn't be comparing the size of iOS to Windows.

iOS and Android OS's were designed from the ground up to be mobile device OSes, thus the reason they're smaller in size as well as the fact they support a limited amount of hardware. If there's a comparison to be made there to a Microsoft OS, then it should be Windows RT.

Windows 8.1 on the T100 is a better comparison to MAC OS X.....and when you do that comparison in regards to updates, you find the process is very similar.

Software Update is a software tool by Apple Inc. that installs the latest version of Apple software on computers running OS X. It was originally introduced to Mac users in Mac OS 9. A Windows version has been available since the introduction of iTunes 7, under the name Apple Software Update. Software Update automatically informs users of new updates.

The program is part of the CoreServices in OS X, found at /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app, or by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu. Software Update can be set to check for updates daily, weekly, monthly, or not at all; in addition, it can download and store the associated .pkg file (the same type used by Installer) to be installed at a later date and maintains a history of installed updates.

Software Updates consist of incremental updates of the Mac OS and its applications, Security Updates, device drivers and firmware updates. All software updates require the user to enter their administrative password, as with all consequential system changes. Some updates require a system restart. Starting with OS X 10.5, updates that require a reboot log out the user prior to installation and automatically restart the computer when complete; in earlier versions, the updates are installed, but critical files are not replaced until the next system startup.

As of OS X Mountain Lion, Software Update has been merged into the Mac App Store.
    In regards to OS vulnerabilities Android has a lot of those as well. The thing that has made Android so appealing is the open architecture for third party app development. Well, that same open architecture is what makes the Android OS vulnerable to security issues.

I work in the development of automotive infotainment systems where most every auto manufacturer has some kind of interest in integrating the Android OS into their infotainment system products due to it's flexibility and wealth of 3rd party app development. The number one concern from auto manufacturers is Android's exploitable security issues where as an infotainment developer we are currently working on providing solutions to those security issues. One way that we're trying to accomplish that is to use dual OS platform integrations with the Android OS. One of those examples is using Linux with Android and another is using the QNX OS running along side the Android OS. QNX has the security where Android has the 3rd party development flexibility. Other things we have to look at is to integrate hardware solutions that will protect against the OS exploits. Such as Renesas hardware security solutions.

http://am.renesas.com/applications/a...rity/index.jsp
    Last edited by Rednroll; 06-30-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    ...But then we're not on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for that matter & aren't ever likely to be so - so perhaps I'm a dinosaur...
    Well us dinosaurs have to stick together. There's a Meteor coming.

30 June, 2014 93821 AM PDT.png

Yes, choice is a wonderful thing - as is discussion, debate & friendly banter.

Have a great day, Swipe. I hope you'll enjoy the Commonwealth Games starting on July 23. (Just don't mention England's World Cup performance...
    I'll check the games out for sure. Thanks for the interesting post.
    janner43 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Well us dinosaurs have to stick together. There's a Meteor coming.
    Believe it or not, we had a "green coloured meteor" sited over the southern coast of the UK only this morning!!

Swipe likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Believe it or not, we had a "green coloured meteor" sited over the southern coast of the UK only this morning!!

Sometimes its better to be extinct than just stink.
    janner43 likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Sometimes its better to be extinct than just stink.
    Is that like the definition of an expert... "a drip under pressure"

(Ex-spurt)

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

Quick -- get a shovel. Those suckers are worth a fortune !

BBC News - Fireball meteor caught on camera

And if you find it - check to see if your name was on it !
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-30-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    janner43 likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Circling back to topic...

WIN8.1 is just the latest generation of that operating system.

Just like comparable iterations of iOS, Android, and other OS versions...there will be hiccups, anomalies, unusual driver and other things that need "fixing", etc. What magnifies WIN8 I suspect is that it is the first generation of an OS that was intended for multiple platforms but really was optimized for mobile devices. That's causing Microsoft to backtrack and rethink the UI in particular.

Still, WIN8.1 does a very admirable job for the target devices...even though the MS plan "overextended its reach" to other desktop/laptop/etc. devices.

Having used an Android tablet for some time, an iOS device for more than 2 years, and MS Windows devices since the OS first came out...I simply don't see any major issues with update tasks on the T100 containing WIN8.1 when compared to numerous other devices.

Where I do see issues is that some users have extended their configurations and even a few modifications that introduced "issues" that most other users simply don't experience.

To date...in the 8 months since purchase, I have installed every BIOS, every released new driver, and even upgraded the standard MS Office version that comes with the T100 to Office Professional. With the exceptions of 1 short-lived BIOS that was quickly updated to a newer version, as well as 1 driver that had some issues and also got a quick update. the T100 here simply operates very, very well. In fact, the updates in the past 90 days have only enhanced the performance and stability of this device. So this individual here sees updating the T100 as a generally clean process and having no real issues.
    leeshor, Swipe and janner43 like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Circling back to topic...
    Sounds like "meanwhile, back at the ranch..."

WIN8.1 is just the latest generation of that operating system.
    Who remembers Windows ME?
    Was that the version that everyone thought looked like a children's cartoon - or was that a different one? Over here it got called "Windows TellyTubbies" after a BBC children's programme...?

I know our firm's IT department stayed with Windows 2000 for a loooooong time.

Just like comparable iterations of iOS, Android, and other OS versions...there will be hiccups, anomalies, unusual driver and other things that need "fixing", etc. What magnifies WIN8 I suspect is that it is the first generation of an OS that was intended for multiple platforms but really was optimized for mobile devices. That's causing Microsoft to backtrack and rethink the UI in particular. Still, WIN8.1 does a very admirable job for the target devices...even though the MS plan "overextended its reach" to other desktop/laptop/etc. devices.
    So what is the MS plan for Windows? Do you know if they plan to have one OS for all their devices - phones, PCs, tablets? I can't see that being feasible, can you? Surely that would cause them to have all sorts of problems going forwards...?

Having used an Android tablet for some time, an iOS device for more than 2 years, and MS Windows devices since the OS first came out...I simply don't see any major issues with update tasks on the T100 containing WIN8.1 when compared to numerous other devices.
    Your secret is out - at last a confession...
    (I know, it's a company supplied iPhone that has been "forced" on you, right?

To date...in the 8 months since purchase, I have installed every BIOS, every released new driver, and even upgraded the standard MS Office version that comes with the T100 to Office Professional. With the exceptions of 1 short-lived BIOS that was quickly updated to a newer version, as well as 1 driver that had some issues and also got a quick update. the T100 here simply operates very, very well. In fact, the updates in the past 90 days have only enhanced the performance and stability of this device. So this individual here sees updating the T100 as a generally clean process and having no real issues.
    Yes, but you are not a typical user, Fan... You know what you are doing...

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I can't put my hands on it but read something in the last day or 2 that lead me to believe Microsoft is rethinking the single user interface across all platforms. It sounds like they are considering bringing back the, more or less, traditional desktop with mini Metro icons for desktop computers. But we are off topic, AGAIN.

[edit] just found this, which explains the return to the desktop. http://www.zdnet.com/windows-thresho...rs-7000031070/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links