Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Hungry Hippo. YEA! Is that a real iPad add-on?
    Apparently so...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    ipad's are great for gaming:
    All joking aside....more than 55% of all iPad apps are games...so there is alot of truth to your comment...

...although that Hippo game looks enticing...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    No need There is a far superior & free official Getty app for that...Put your biases away, gentlemen - they spoil your enjoyment of life in general...
    I'm not biased against Apple products... they're very, very good devices... I was just poking fun...

Generally, most people, when they take a direction with computers and mobile devices, they tend to settle and stay with what 1) works for them and 2) what their budget can afford and 3) stay within that OS paradigm. The old adage of "when you buy your first PC/device, figure out what you need/want it to do and then find the brand/model that'll do it" is ridiculous. We average consumers tend to act more on our gut and instincts rather than any other factors and trust that the big names will never fail to not provide everything we'd ever need. Of course the realization sets in that in 2-3 years technology has advanced way beyond what we have, we look to upgrade and from a comfort level, we tend to stay with what has worked. Our work environments play a major part in that too... if your employer provides Windows PCs, you're probably 90% likely that's what you'll get for home use. I've used Apple products all the way to the "little brown toaster" and they're great but my employers have always been PC based... back to Win3.0... that was fun. Anyhow enough of my diatribe... I'll just say figure out what works for you and enjoy it.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    All joking aside....more than 55% of all iPad apps are games...so there is alot of truth to your comment...
    On the subject of gaming, did you see the Apple presentation from WWDC? The advance they have made for gaming/gamers in iOS8 looks very impressive - something called "Metal". That coupled with the option of BT dedicated game controllers from iOS7 makes me wonder if I will no longer need an xBox - which would clear another piece of clutter from the cupboard behind the TV

Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    I'm not biased against Apple products... they're very, very good devices... I was just poking fun...
    I'm not that biased against Windows either, Rick - it's just that nowadays our uses are so domestic in nature that tablets are all we need & the app base is one of the biggest issues for us. And I hope you realise that I am open minded when it comes to products & manufacturers - they all have their plusses & minuses.

Of course the realization sets in that in 2-3 years technology has advanced way beyond what we have, we look to upgrade...
    We normally change our devices after 2 years - that seems to be about the right balance between reliability and functionality. Anything more would be too extravagant for us...

I'll just say figure out what works for you and enjoy it.
    Couldn't agree more - everyone has different requirements.

To change the focus a little, we first bought an Android tablet because we had experience of Linux & liked the fact that Android was based on Linux. I have to say that nowadays it is very much "Google Android" with the emphasis very much on Google - & that is something that I am disappointed in. IMO, nowadays when you buy Android you buy into the Google ecosystem in a very similar way that Android folk used to criticise Apple buyers for buying into the Apple ecosystem. If I'm honest, if Google continue in that direction I'm not sure what that will mean for our future purchases.

I was interested to read, for example, that Windows Phone 8.1 is regarded as secure an OS as iOS because only those apps on the MS store can be loaded into those handsets.

Nice varied discussion thread though - exactly what I was hoping for & something we haven't seen here for a little while.

Cheers all
    rscheller and helpifIcan like this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    HTML5 Sucks! Long Live Flash! | The Motion Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    No need

There is a far superior & free official Getty app for that...
    Put your biases away, gentlemen - they spoil your enjoyment of life in general...
    That's not the same app. Did you try it on your flash-capable tablet? I'm sure it is quite different to the one you posted about. That was the point. HTML5 cannot do some of the things Flash can do. That is also the point.
    Just try that site. Not even looking would indicate a bias.

We are just having a bit of enjoyable fun right here.

And I guess you won't read the link above your quote.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-29-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: slipped on an banana

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    I'm not biased. I just hate Apple products. (That's a joke. I've never owned an Apple device.)
    janner43 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Don't hate Apple. Love Google.

Admire Windows.

Like Linux.

Adore Android.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-29-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Just came from looking up "Getty Images" app in the Apple App store. Talk about boring. (I used an Ipad Mini.) Superior? Not on my planet.

Please please Janner put aside your bias and have a look at the link I provided to the Flash site. This is one reason developers like Motion Monkey prefer Flash. It Just Works.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-29-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I like editing

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    22 times
    Malware - people target the most popular operating systems, you get it on Android too. But I haven't had issues on either platforms. Virus checking is built-in in Windows 8, so no need to faff with that either.

Bloatware? I find this odd When you say you last used Windows a decade ago. Let's compare:

My Windows PC of 2004 had I think 256MB RAM, which was fine for running Windows XP.

Android phones today come with 2GB or more of RAM, and an Android phone with 256MB would be sluggish and near unusable. IOS devices have lower specs, but still have a lot more than 256MB of RAM.

Has Windows bloated in the meantime? Well no - the T100 itself has 2GB RAM, which is fine, and less than what the latest Android phones are coming with.

My T100 boots in 12s, compared to 30s for my 2013 Nexus 7.

It does take up more install space, but hardly a big deal - and you should really compare like with like anyway: Windows with GNU Linux distributions and OS X; or Windows RT or Windows Phone with Android or IOS. Android and IOS are bloated compared to Symbian :/

As for the questions - because clearly no one ever asked questions about an Android or IOS device!

Driver updates are things most users never need to worry about anyway, though it's more of an issue on the T100 due to being a new kind of device. But it's easy to do anyway with the built-in utility, no harder than upgrading an Android version. Similarly with graphics drivers. Yes, the whole driver issue is more complex, but again, that's true of GNU/Linux distributions and OS X too, because there's a lot more hardware, and also freedom for people to install updates direct from the manfacturers. On a phone, you just update in one package, but you also have to wait for the phone manufacturer to release an update, you can't go direct and install chipset drivers directly.

Whilst PC OSs like Windows (and Linux, OS X) become friendlier, mobile OSs have become more bloated are more like the computers of years ago as they become more advanced. I never had to reboot to update (or update at all) my phone of 2005 (even though it did Internet, apps and ran an actual OS). My smart TV now takes 6s to start up, and has to be rebooted for updates. In 10 years, you'll be waiting for your toaster to start up or reboot, whilst Windows starts up instantly, and people will still be moaning about the latter

I suspect you get questions in the same way that Android forums have questions about installing and upgrading ROMs ( http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tkat-roms.html ). As for IOS, well I don't have to "jailbreak" my T100 just to do what I want with my device.

Yes, you probably do get more issues on Windows, but this is more a "full computer versus simpler mobile OS" type thing, the same would apply comparing GNU/Linux or OS X to Windows Phone. Some people are happy with IOS feature phones, but it's like saying you get less issues with a Nokia feature phone.

Not sure why an update being pulled is a criticism, this happens on every OS, including mobile.

And it's not like Android or IOS devices ever get bricked! ( TF700 stuck in Boot loop ... have access to bootloader ) They do. Like any device, they can break. Usual laws to do with sales of goods, guarantees and warranties apply. (Someone told me how their *IOS* device had its screen break after 6 months - I thought ipods were aimed at the ordinary man in the street!)

"The advance they have made for gaming/gamers in iOS8 looks very impressive - something called "Metal"."

And the same kind of thing already being done by Microsoft, as well as AMD. But whilst the new drivers promise improvements, it's not going to turn an ARM-based phone/tablet into the level of technology of XBox/PS 4 (plus the X Box will benefit from the gains anyway). Controllers for tablets have the problem of being well supported by games - same reason why people buy consoles even though they could just get a controller for the PC they already have. Android-based consoles like the Ouya and Fire TV will need their specific games to be any good. And even as it is, most mobile games seem to be stuck in the 90s with their graphical quality, way behind what the GPUs or drivers are capable of anyway (I'm amused by the adverts for mobile games that show cartoonish graphics - and then you realise they're not actually showing you the gameplay anyway!).

"I was interested to read, for example, that Windows Phone 8.1 is regarded as secure an OS as iOS because only those apps on the MS store can be loaded into those handsets."

I think this is how it's always worked Windows Phone, and is how it's always worked for Windows RT and "Windows 8"-style apps.

This is not a reason for being "regarded as secure" - if you want that security, you can have it simply by only installing from where you want (Android devices by default will only install from Google Play). But the lack of choice to install elsewhere is about control, not security (banning applications they don't like - as Apple at least have exercised - and taking a 30% cut plus yearly fee).

Some people can survive on nothing more than a 10 phone as their computing device - and every point that you say IOS or Android does better, I could say the 10 phone is locked down to be more "secure", or is "simpler".

The whole "post PC" is a rather ill-defined term, often done for marketing or by sensationalist journalists. Android and IOS device are still computers, and I'd call them personal. I haven't needed to use an IOS or OS X machine in, well ever. I use Linux, but prefer Windows overall. Each platform has its differences, and preference is far more about personal opinions or experience than objective facts that can be settled. Windows devices like the Asus T100 are very very good devices, as are my Android Nexus phone and tablet.
    Last edited by mdwh; 06-29-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    HTML5 cannot do some of the things Flash can do. That is also the point.
    And I guess you won't read the link above your quote.
    I read it... To tell you the truth, I don't have enough technical knowledge to comment on the relative merits of the two systems. But from what I read, the main thrust seemed to be about playing games via the web - which isn't something I have ever done & I'm not likely to do, either. But then we're not on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for that matter & aren't ever likely to be so - so perhaps I'm a dinosaur...

What I do know about to some degree are the problems of web publishing - but frankly even that knowledge is nearly a decade or so out of date - so again, I admit to being a dinosaur...

We are just having a bit of enjoyable fun right here.
    Indeed we are...

Don't hate Apple. Love Google.

Admire Windows.

Like Linux.

Adore Android.
    Funny old world, isn't it. I don't mind any of them - but simply prefer certain systems/manufacturers at various points in time.

Windows - superb, functional, paradigm changing OS that has probably transformed the way the world works. But because I don't need it - I can't be bothered with all the faffing about that seems to be required. Nope, as much as I appreciate it - I really cannot be bothered anymore. Which leads me neatly to...

Linux - great price, truly functional, but to be honest, nowadays...far to much faffing about for me...

Android - a great idea & concept that sadly (in my view) has now been overtaken by the commercial imperatives of Google (& I understand why). But I also wonder if Android would ever have been as successful as it is now if Apple had not revolutionised the mass market with the iPhone?

Google - a huge player in transforming the way we can access information - but does that make them the evil empire because of the amount of information they have? Frankly - I have better things to think about . But I will reserve the right to exercise my freedom of choice & I don't like some of the ways they are moving. I object to being made to have a G+ account just to leave an app review on the Play Store, for example. Directions like that don't make me likely to buy a Nexus device for my personal use - but I know that's not the majority view & can completely see the value in buying one...

Apple - the way I see it, they have consistently produced good quality hardware & software. And they have excellent after sales support & real world retail stores (a very good thing in my book). But they also have a very annoying (maybe arrogant?) approach that doesn't endear them to me. EG the iPad. The original one never gets mentioned now and the iPad 3 is in a similar position "the new iPad" as it was called by Apple may as well have not existed because the iPad4 has a "Retina" screen (classic & marvellous marketing terminology there) and so did the 3. So they can be insufferable in those areas - and they are not inexpensive either & neither are their accessories. But, the older I get, the less I can be bothered with making things work myself & so their quality control & reliability becomes more attractive to me. Frankly, even when the apps crash - and they do - they do so in such a way that for some reason it isn't that annoying.

Yes, choice is a wonderful thing - as is discussion, debate & friendly banter.

Have a great day, Swipe. I hope you'll enjoy the Commonwealth Games starting on July 23. (Just don't mention England's World Cup performance...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links