Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is it so hard to do update tasks on the T100? Discuss...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    One of the windows issues is something none of the other OS have to face.

SOOOOOO much hardware. iOS has very, very few hardware configurations. Even Android is a pretty small sampling. Really when it comes down to it. There is ARM and there is x86 for the CPU and for graphics right now there is something on the order of 4-5 players in the GPU market. There is generally a tiny number of wifi and cell modem manufacturers (Broadcom, Qualcomm and Intel are really the only ones to speak of) and a lot of the other stuff is pretty standardized.

Then if you look at manufacturers, most have little incetive to upgrade the drivers for anything. Builds for android take FOREVER to roll out, if they ever do. So if you are lucky, you might get 1-2.

Windows on the other hand gets CONSTANT updates. Manufacturers also have some incentive to update drivers for their stuff.

However, if you look at a typical user, a typical user does NOTHING. That is why with Windows 8, MS finally changed the default updates to automatically install instead of being notification of updates. Because they knew users rarely did updates manually. Driver updates? Forget about it.

I'd bet without an OEM driver update utility like Asus Updater, I'd bet less than 1 in 10 users would ever do ANY driver updates, unless it was pushed out through Windows update.

Really, few driver updates ever cause problems. We are the resource for people with questions and issues. We are also probably the best and biggest resource that attracts a majority of questions T100 users have (if they ever get asked). I am sure even then we probably get, maybe at most, 1 in 10 users who encounter a problem coming on here and asking about it. It could be 1 in 100.

Even you multiplied it by 100x. 100x...maybe 20-30 people all sharing the same issue on here is a couple of thousand. I'd be SHOCKED if Asus hasn't sold at LEAST 100,000 T100s. Probably not in to the hundreds and hundreds of thousands, but that still represents ~2-3% of all users running in to a similar issue. If you figure 1 in 10 do things like driver updates and stuff...that means maybe 1 in 5 people run in to some kind of an issue. Maybe. Probably over stating it.
    rscheller and janner43 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    At one point Asus was selling 400,000 Android tablets a month. (The first - TF101.) Last week I was on Amazon and noticed the T100 listed as the "#1 best selling laptop." I would not be surprised if Asus had sold well over 500,000 T100's by now.
    Last edited by Swipe; 06-27-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    leeshor likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    I just sold my last Dell Inspiron 700m sub-notebook computer with Windows XP. I loved that thing so much I actually purchased 7 more of them on Ebay and modified them all to be identical. I bought an Acronis cloning kit and used them as my backup routine once a month from one to the next. Only recently did I decide that was silly and gave one to my sister, sold 4 and scrapped 3. Sometimes newer is not necessarily better IMHO. I never had any problems with any of them until three finally failed.

I also just sold my Asus TF700T and gave away my 1st gen Nexus 7. I'm now down to my wife's HP G62 340US and a 2013 Nexus 7. I upgraded the HP to 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive and run both Windows 7 and Windows XP. I guess I'm set for the next 10 years. I bought my wife a 2013 Nexus 7 also and that meets her needs. I gave her my Droid Razr Maxx and bought a Droid Maxx for myself.
    Last edited by jimgfitzgerald; 06-27-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    It does seem to me in the last few years beginning with Windows 7 & now 8, MS has started to take much tighter control of hardware certifications and drivers for the hodgepodge of pieces of hardware in "the box". I've noticed on my T100 that some hardware driver updates actually come in as a Windows update. I'd never seen that before... however many still don't. I think that's why your bigger name computer makers (Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, etc.) are providing consumers with a built in program that runs in the background to automatically update drivers, BIOS, etc. based on what's in "the box" that are still outside the Windows arena. That may change over time as MS enforces more control over Windows and the millions of peripheral devices available.
    I agree with you here, Rick. The open-ness of Windows in terms of the hardware it will run on clearly will make it difficult for MS - but in order to make things better, IMO more quality control over the certification of hardware & an insistence that hardware drivers are all updated via MS through Windows updates would surely be a sensible direction to take. Either that, or the "Live update" OEM route but with rigorous certification between the OEM & MS prior to any update.

Get an iPad... they just work with little fuss out-of-the-box. For a month or two, she really enjoyed using it... then one day as she became less confined, she said how come this webpage (adobe flash based) won't load... she said it works on my laptop fine... I said sorry babe, it's the iPad... a few months later, she said how do I print from my iPad on our old networked brother all-in-one... I said sorry babe, you can't... it's an iPad and it needs a wifi (airprint) printer or a paid app that may or may not work. I can say that I've resolved the printing problem by getting a cheap wifi printer that prints from the iPad but she has gone back mostly using her laptop because the iPad facebook app renders facebook pages differently than Windows IE and Firefox and her work world is Windows based.
    One of the things that we have experienced in effectively missing out on 5-7 years of any computer type equipment at all is a complete paradigm shift in the way we do things. It is now second nature for us to expect everything to work via wifi & to look for app based solutions rather than the way we looked before. I cannot remember the last Flash rich website we used - it is withering on the vine now. It was never that reliable even in my day of commercially publishing hundreds of extremely large websites here in the UK. Clever - yes. Reliable - no. Effectively a gimmick that is now old hat.

It is certainly true to say, however, that as you put it - the "work world is Windows based". But of course, because we are just simple domestic users these days, that isn't a concern to us.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    At one point Asus was selling 400,000 Android tablets a month. (The first - TF101.) Last week I was on Amazon and noticed the T100 listed as the "#1 best selling laptop." I would not be surprised if Asus had sold well over 500,000 T100's by now.
    I've read someplace that the number is actually over 800,000...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    As referenced in an earlier post...the #1 source for anyone having problems with the T100 or WIN 8.1 has been determined...there's a loose nut behind the keyboard.
    leeshor, Swipe, rscheller and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    I cannot remember the last Flash rich website we used - it is withering on the vine now. It was never that reliable even in my day of commercially publishing hundreds of extremely large websites here in the UK. Clever - yes. Reliable - no. Effectively a gimmick that is now old hat.
    Check this site out on one of your Flash-Enabled tablets: Then try it on your ipad.

http://moodstream.gettyimages.com
    ASUSFAN0001 and rscheller like this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Check this site out on one of your Flash-Enabled tablets: Then try it on your ipad.

Moodstream? by Getty Images
    Do I smell smoke...???
    leeshor likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Do I smell smoke...???
    Remember -- Where there's smoke there's ire.

I think it was the use of "gimmick" to describe Flash. Got the embers all stirred up.
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links