Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Refreshed T100 - Transformer Book T100TA Z3775 chipset. General chit-chat thread.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I am going to presume the Z3775 is better for gaming, because the Z3740 doesn‘t even arrive at 2GHz, while the Z3775 arrives at almost 2.4GHz.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Any processor in the same class with better performance specs, base clock and boost clock will play games better. The only other thing that would make a difference would be a change in the integrated GPU

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    ^^^^ Absolutely - basic common sense.

You'll find a wealth of discussion on the newer SoC in this thread.

(Thread merged)

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveXT View Post
    @leeshor
    Thanks. I know this comparison, but it doesn't say anything about game performance. I would be glad if someone had the possibility to compare both devices and can tell if games that are unplayable with Z3740 can be played with the Z3775.
    It would depend on a lot of factors. Even comparing them back to back you'd need to look at every single game you'd care about. Is it CPU bound? GPU bound? Memory bandwidth bound? A little of everything?

Then you'd get in to when or if the processor was thermally constrained under certain workloads and would X gaming workload happen to fall under it? Or not?

Ideally you'd be running in to CPU constraints and no thermal constraints. In which case you COULD see as much as a 28% increase in frame rates. My guess is you aren't EVER going to see that much of an increase in frame rates in a game, because I doubt anything was solely limited by the CPU. And/or you might be running in to thermal constraints with the more powerful processor sometimes, in which case you'd be looking a bit at throttled CPU performance (the z3775 does have a higher base clock than the z3740 also, but not by 28% faster).

So, would a 28% different in frame rates make something unplayable versus playable? Maybe, but I think it is more a question of game play quality at that point and not playable vs unplayable (IMHO, it is when you get in to something like a 50% different in frame rates is when you hit unplayable. Now granted, if something was MARGINAL before, a 28% difference can mean smooth and fine or unacceptable.

GPU wise, the difference is only 13% IIRC, and that is ONLY GPU frequency.

The memory bandwidth is identical between them, which may also influence both GPU and CPU performance comparison as some tasks (especially GPU) might be memory bandwidth constrained, in which case the z3775 may not be able to leverage all of its possible difference in clock speeds. Same goes with thermal constraints. Unless the z3775 is much better binned, and there is likely some binning going on, and/or is running at a lower voltage, power consumption of a processor is linearly related to the clock speed. So the z3775 at 2.39GHz is going to be consuming ~28% more power and thus 28% more heat than the z3740 is at 1.87GHz, the GPU is going to consume roughly 13% more power and thus more heat due to it's higher clock speed also. This very well could push the T100 from never being thermally constrained to sometimes being thermally constrained. I know at least with my T100 with the z3740 I've run it through stuff that has loaded the CPU 99+% for 15+ minutes at a time and I've never seen it downclock under load (I haven't check under gaming loads to see if it downclocks the CPU or GPU or both at any point).

This is all a very long winded way of saying, without comparing both in each game you'd care about, you'll never know. At a guess in the real world you are going to have a combination of CPU, GPU, Memory Bandwidth and maybe even thermal constraints a little here and there. So at a guess, you are probably looking at a more realistic 10-15% difference in game frame rates (pure CPU loads are much more likely to see that 28% gain in performance, at least for short work loads where there wouldn't be any thermal constraints, prolonged workloads it might move back towards being close to being equal, but I suspect under 100% CPU workloads with minimal GPU activity that the chip won't be thermally throttled at any point).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    5 times
    Question here. I don't have any SSDs on my PC so I can't compare.... but how fast are boot times with a SSD? Is it as fast as windows 8 tablets? Just wondering because my dad is in the market for a new portable device and not sure if I should recommend a tablet or a traditional laptop.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by id3alistic View Post
    Question here. I don't have any SSDs on my PC so I can't compare.... but how fast are boot times with a SSD? Is it as fast as windows 8 tablets? Just wondering because my dad is in the market for a new portable device and not sure if I should recommend a tablet or a traditional laptop.
    There's really more to classic "boot time" i.e. startup time to consider rather than OS drive type. What will be your Dad's use? What will the OS be? Is he a "shut it off or close the cover to sleep" user? Those answers will help point you in the right direction.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    My T100 from cold boots to the Windows login screen in around 8-9 seconds. My Laptop with Windows 8.1 and an SSD as a boot drive from a cold boot hits the Windows login screen in around 6 seconds.

So it is faster, but it isn't remarkably faster.

By comparison, my desktop, which has some boot time stuff running (Intel RST) and also has "fast boot" disabled (because if it is enabled, Wake on LAN does not work. Stupid silly MS) and a faster SSD than my laptop takes around 14s from cold to windows login screen.

The same desktop with a slightly lesser SSD in it at the time and Windows 7 took around 18s from cold to desktop (I had login disabled at the time)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    The way I use my T100, I always use "sleep" on cover closed and except for Windows updates when needed, I never "power off". My T100 always awakens from "sleep" before I can even get the cover completely open.

IMHO, using the "sleep" scenario is far more preferable than a "cold boot". Which is why I suggested to the OP that there's far more to "turning on" the T100 than drive speed and boot time.

Again IMHO, the Windows OS world has changed for the better with Win8.1.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    The way I use my T100, I always use "sleep" on cover closed and except for Windows updates when needed, I never "power off". My T100 always awakens from "sleep" before I can even get the cover completely open.

IMHO, using the "sleep" scenario is far more preferable than a "cold boot". Which is why I suggested to the OP that there's far more to "turning on" the T100 than drive speed and boot time.

Again IMHO, the Windows OS world has changed for the better with Win8.1.
    I wholeheartedly concur!!
    1. Sleep by closing cover seems preferable.
    2. Typing on a keyboard is still preferable to the virtual keyboard.
    3. Try Win8.1 on a 7 inch tablet with no keyboard. Very frustrating. Glad mine broke, so I could get this one.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I just received the T100TA-DK048H Z3775 2GB 32GB model. I don't have any BIOS or driver updates via ASUS Live Update. Is the 207 the latest BIOS version?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links