Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Buy new or refurbished?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    My unit was from the current egg promo for the 32g t100ta-b1-gr - which only has the internal drive, and no code for office. (office is installed I believe, but opening it only gets you to an option to purchase). I paid through google wallet, and got the unit to my door for $194 (after rebate). Twas accompanied by a sheet mentioning some pdf that would explain how to make recovery disks under Win7 because they wiped the whole 32gigs during refurb, but I have yet to locate that pdf. I am guessing I need to find an 8.1 iso, and stumble my way through finding directions elsewhere.

Edit- my biggest problem @ the moment is my microsoft account had an old, defunct email address for security purposed associated with it. I initated steps to change that, and MS says it takes 30 days to process such a simple thing. So I fear doing anything slightly drastic until that is resolved. Hard to believe their system needs 30 days to do something so basic.
    Last edited by lnrrgb; 07-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.

rscheller
    First the 32GB model you purchased does not have the recovery partition on the 32GB drive. It has a separate 8GB memory device which contains the recovery partition which can not be removed, nor can that 8GB of space ever have its recovery file deleted to be used as storage.

Quite frankly I think you let the cost be the major factor in your choice. I just checked and Amazon has your model new for $328.88 (there's cheaper options too I'd expect) and if you discount that price by not having a license to install MSOffice which is a $139.99 download price, that takes you down to $188.89 net cost value. In addition, you gave up the full 1 year warranty for a 90 day warranty. Not to mention your efforts to fix something that shouldn't have come broken in the first place is lessening your use and enjoyment of your T100.

Wait a minute...
    Twas accompanied by a sheet mentioning some pdf that would explain how to make recovery disks under Win7 because they wiped the whole 32gigs during refurb, but I have yet to locate that pdf. I am guessing I need to find an 8.1 iso, and stumble my way through finding directions elsewhere
    Am I reading you right that it doesn't have Windows8.1 installed? If that's true, I say cut your losses and get your money back and don't waste any more time.
    Last edited by rscheller; 07-05-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    No, it is 8.1, and if there an extra 8g static partition somewhere, well the included sheet clearly states that it was able to be wiped, and that they did just that. If the seperate 8g mem device still exists, someone should figure out how to access it (if they have, my bad for not looking for something I did not know existed). I am only just starting to dive into these forums. I kinda remember seeing reference to it being seperate, but I am on info overload, and somewhat figured it was just a partition within the 32g which could be recouped - since they (Asus) had already done this, I wasn't digging too deeply.

I am not trying to fix anything. This unit seems functionally perfect. I was looking into my options for a full system backup before ConsoleOS comes around, for you just never know... I also feel I got a decent deal, but you can speculate till the cows come home about whether it was the best deal ever.

And just to clarify, since Asus claimed they wiped the recovery partition, but would provide directions to create recovery disks under Win7, I just assumed that would entail getting an 8.1 iso somewhere, from which to create from. Perhaps there is another way, I do not know.
    Last edited by lnrrgb; 07-05-2014 at 03:04 PM.

rscheller
    I hope I didn't offend you with my cost analysis because if your happy, that's what counts.

And it sounds like your T100 is in good shape then. I'd guess the Asus info you received likely refers to the 64GB model. At least they didn't load the 8GB recovery partition onto your 32GB drive... there have been a few folks here who've had Asus repair their 32GB model and had that very thing happen which further reduced their usable drive space upon return.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    So I did a bit of looking after last post, and found the images of the "extra" 8g of space, designated as a ?virtual? USB device/drive, (who knows). Perhaps some pre purchaser tanked the unit trying to recover it, and that was what classified it as refurbished, again who knows. If that 8gigs is accessable somehow, (spinrite maybe?), then pehaps I get a hybrid unit down the road. As it sits, I have about 15gigs free, without any pruning, and I am good with that. I only wanted to familiarize myself with W8, and see if could fire up my Oculus Rift.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links